Author Topic: 2019 MAK 2 Star assembly/burn-in complete :)  (Read 1288 times)

Offline rwalters

2019 MAK 2 Star assembly/burn-in complete :)
« Reply #-1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
It’s here, assembled and the burn-in complete!! Did the burn-in this past weekend.  Got the MAK Grills Mobile WiFi up and running yesterday. Spent some considerable time just letting the MAK hum along with WiFi engaged yesterday afternoon/evening.  To be completely honest, based on my previous experience with MAK Grills Mobile (WiFi module), I was nervous as I didn’t want my high hopes to come crashing down... yeah, I went into this 2nd MGM experience with my knees already shaking based of my last go-round.  Well, I am beyond thrilled that my MAK quietly hummed along for hours on end with not a hiccup. That was NEVER the case with my previous experience(s). As of this first extended test, I would have to say that MAK has ironed out the “time-out/disconnect” wrinkles. Nicely done MAK!!!

Later today we break her in with Tri-Tip, followed by MAK baked shepherds pie tomorrow, followed by zesty lemon flap steak over zoodles on Friday, followed by TBD on Saturday, followed by 17 lbs of Crowd Cow beef short ribs on Sunday. Lookin’ forward to a great week of getting to know her! :)

Here’s a few pics. Hard to believe that the 2019’s offer over 1600 sq” of cooking space. There is an easy 2.5” between the lower 3 grates and a bit more between the top grate and lid. Plenty of space on all grates for ribs, tri-tips, chicken parts, jerky, bacon, wings, anything low profile, etc.  Honestly, I thought that MAK had the 2017-18’s pretty dialed in... which they DID! But they did it again... they went and made an amazing cooker even more amazing. Absolutely loving the improvements and I haven’t even cooked on it yet... all you have to do is look at them... they just make sense! :)

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: 2019 MAK 2 Star assembly/burn-in complete :)
« on: April 17, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
Shucks, now I want one :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »
Awesome!  I am so looking forward to upgrading my 2018 MAK 2 Star.  I am OK with the existing racks (main and upper).  I am very jazzed about the Pellet Boss firmware changes to keep the WiFi either connected, or leave the setpoint temp alone if it disconnects.  Did you try to see if the PB kept the setpoint if the WiFo disconnected?  Could easily test by removing the antenna on the MAK I think.

Does the roaming TC come with any kind of clamp or thingie to help keep the TC in the location you use it at?  In my testing, I used some remote temp probe clamps to keep the roaming TC where I wanted it.  Otherwise, movement of food or racks could knock it from where I wanted it placed.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 02:02:39 PM »
Does the roaming TC come with any kind of clamp or thingie to help keep the TC in the location you use it at?  In my testing, I used some remote temp probe clamps to keep the roaming TC where I wanted it.  Otherwise, movement of food or racks could knock it from where I wanted it placed.

It does have a clamp.  If you go to MAK's website you can see a picture of it.
https://makgrills.com/product/two-star-general/
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
Thats a beautiful grill!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 02:45:54 PM »
Awesome!  I am so looking forward to upgrading my 2018 MAK 2 Star.  I am OK with the existing racks (main and upper).  I am very jazzed about the Pellet Boss firmware changes to keep the WiFi either connected, or leave the setpoint temp alone if it disconnects.  Did you try to see if the PB kept the setpoint if the WiFo disconnected?  Could easily test by removing the antenna on the MAK I think.

You should be able to unplug your router and test the MAK Grills Mobile disconnect behavior. From what I saw, once it times out it’ll stay at set point if it was running at 275° or less. If you have it set to > 275° it’ll now switch to 275° vs Smoke like it used to. That said, I think the disconnects are a thing of the past :)

The roaming TC, I believe, is the same as your beta version as far as the way it rests on the grates. I haven’t removed mine from its perch yet, but I do not see a “clip”. A clip would actually be a great idea!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 04:19:37 PM »
Congrats on the new cooker!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »

That is not a clamp you see.  It is the rectangular bracket that literally can spin around the TC so that it lies flat wherever you place the TC.  That bracket is designed to then slip onto an L-shaped holder that allows the TC to be fixed or held in the same location the older/current TCs mount to.   What I was hoping for was some small device like a modified alligator clip that "clamps" the TC/bracket to whichever grate location you place it.  Not hard to come up with something, but I was hoping MAK had an elegant method - my use of probe clips works, just is kind of hokey.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline rwalters

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »

That is not a clamp you see.  It is the rectangular bracket that literally can spin around the TC so that it lies flat wherever you place the TC.  That bracket is designed to then slip onto an L-shaped holder that allows the TC to be fixed or held in the same location the older/current TCs mount to.   What I was hoping for was some small device like a modified alligator clip that "clamps" the TC/bracket to whichever grate location you place it.  Not hard to come up with something, but I was hoping MAK had an elegant method - my use of probe clips works, just is kind of hokey.
You call it hokey, I call it redneck ;-)

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
I see a Pellet Boss upgrade in my near future.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 04:34:27 PM »
BTW, here is a picture of the roaming TC on the upper shelf, "secured" by a temp probe clip.  I hope this Imgur thingie works....

Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline rwalters

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 06:42:53 PM »
BTW, here is a picture of the roaming TC on the upper shelf, "secured" by a temp probe clip.  I hope this Imgur thingie works....

Hokey indeed... but if it works, who cares :)