Author Topic: Ischia Sourdough  (Read 223 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Ischia Sourdough
« Reply #-1 on: May 09, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »
So, I have a sourdough starter brewing on the kitchen counter. I bought some sourdough starter from the island of Ischia that is supposed to be fantastic for pizza dough.

I am at the stage where I will move it to the fridge tonight and let it chill. I plan on making some dough with it Sunday in preparation of making pizza Monday night. I've never dabbled in sourdough before so I hope it turns out good. My wife and daughter and the daughter's slacker of a boyfriend are going to Ohio to look for housing. My daughter got accepted into The Ohio State (like the NFL players call it) University for their PhD program. She's skipping her Masters and going right into the PhD program, she'll be a professor at the ripe old age of 26!

While they are gone for a week, I may do some test recipes since I'll be by myself. I may indeed get into mischief :P

Some of it may even be documented and shared for your amusement, lol

If any of you have any sourdough tips, I'd love to hear them!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Salmonsmoker

Re: Ischia Sourdough
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »
RG, King Arthur Flour has a great tutorial on sourdough, actually, it's whole section. They also have a recipe box, if you're signed up, no cost, that you can store the recipes from their site that you like. There's a lot of sourdough recipes, plus a whole lot of other recipes for good-to-eat stuff. I'm sure there is at least one sourdough pizza dough recipe there. I've maintained a starter for around 20 years now, and one thing  you'll find as you use it, expose it to the flora and fauna in your specific area, it'll take on the wild yeasts, etc. from your area, and it will change. It will become "local".

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Ischia Sourdough
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
I just started another starter two days ago, can't wait to try it with my low carb breads!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION