Author Topic: Ribs- Father's day and 4th of July  (Read 9718 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Ribs- Father's day and 4th of July
« Reply #-1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »
Since we had my daughter in 2018, I have only used my offset maybe 5 times.  Moved last winter (Jan 2019) so its been sitting unused since Sept 2019.  Busted it out for father's day and was shocked at my fire management skills (genuine shock) since I have not been using it for so long. It could also be the wood I have been using is Oak and cherry and in the past I was using maple that didn't burn as clean as the Oak and Cherry. I remember what I read on this site years ago, small hot fire is better than large smoldering fire. so that what I went for.

Rub- Salt, Chili Powder, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, light brown sugar (only had white sugar for 4th), ground clove, and chipotle powder

Rubbed 2 baby backs for Father's day, the night before.  Hit the Pit around 1230 and was off at 545 (slightly over cooked IMO but they liked fall off the bone). Temps ranged from 275 to 220, but had locked in to 260-265F for a while.  Sauced at the end at the request of my boss. Had some farmers market short Ribs with subbed with SP and they were great, tender, and full of flavor, just as all grass fed a little lean. Had my Father-in-law and his wife over. Not cut pictures, I was on a time crunch with a hangry toddler.

Fire:

Food:

4th of July, one rack of baby backs rubbed same rub as listed above, with white sugar instead of brown sugar, and I actually think I liked the flavor and color better.

Also grilled a couple beets and a zucchini from our garden, along with hot dogs, which are not pictured.

Garden (AKA mini farm): Carrots, beets, lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, butternut squash, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, corn, basil, garlic, thyme, and some asparagus roots i just planted so a few years away from getting them.  Also have some blueberry plants I just started, along with apple trees I planted from a seed indoors the winter we moved in.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:21:19 PM by akruckus »
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Ribs- Father's day and 4th of July
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »
Good looking ribs.
that garden looks great.  Nothing like fresh homegrown veges, we sure miss having a garden.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Lines

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »
Nice looking ribs and ranch akruckus, very  nice!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:36:19 AM »
Running an offset is like riding a bike...………….you might not ride for a while but you can get back on one and take off
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »
Ribs look good!!!!!!!!!!!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Oneof11

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »
Ribs look good to me. Your garden looks really nice. Wish I had some land like that to do the same thing.
Go Chiefs!!!!