Author Topic: Rec Tec RT 590 vs Weber Genesis 3 burner  (Read 3131 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Rec Tec RT 590 vs Weber Genesis 3 burner
« Reply #-1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
  A friend at work is looking at getting a Weber Genesis 3 burner  or a Rec Tec RT- 590 for dailey all purpose use.
He had a couple questions I thought better answered by those that own them.

1. How long does the 590 take to reach steak searing temps when needed?

2. What is the cost difference between gas and pellets ? 

3.  Other things to consider?
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Rec Tec RT 590 vs Weber Genesis 3 burner
« on: July 31, 2020, 04:44:07 PM »
I owned Both a  Weber Genesis and a Rec Tec pellet grill. In short, I felt that the Genesis can sear faster - and does get up to temp a little quicker - *BUT*....at the expense of no added flavor. The pellet grill cans ear - especially if you add a couple of Grill grates....and you have the option of using the pellet grill for low and slow smoking. My vote: ALWAYS pellet grill.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
I owned Both a  Weber Genesis and a Rec Tec pellet grill. In short, I felt that the Genesis can sear faster - and does get up to temp a little quicker - *BUT*....at the expense of no added flavor. The pellet grill cans ear - especially if you add a couple of Grill grates....and you have the option of using the pellet grill for low and slow smoking. My vote: ALWAYS pellet grill.

Agree! I have the RT590 and it takes about minutes to get to 500 for a good sear. You can also go to full mode which will bring the temp up in the 600's. I haven't felt the need to go that high yet. It also depends, in my opinion, of the type pellets you are using. The higher BTU pellets will get the grill to temp a lot quicker. I am currently using the Rec Tec Ultimate blend which is white and red oak with hickory. They are awesome pellets.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline iflyskyhigh

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
I have a 2001 Weber Genesis Silver C that I picked up on Craigslist for $100. It was in amazing shape, but with a little time and a couple bucks it was like new.

I also have a Yoder YS640s and Kamadao Joe Big Joe 3. Yoder is amazing and effortless. It’s nice in the summer here when it’s 118°. You can just push a button, set the temp and cook. In my opinion, the food off a charcoal grill just can’t be beat at the end of the day.

Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

That being said the only real strength of the Weber is that it’s quick and easy for a weeknight meal. But, it’s enough of a reason to keep it around.

Spend the money on a nice pellet grill, then shop the want ads for a good deal on a used gasser. Weber’s, if cared for, will literally probably outlast their owners. That’s a combo that will last you and give you the best food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Constitution is a “Gun Fee Zone” for conservatives

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:04 AM »
   Thanks for the replies!  I forwarded them over so Buddy could see them.   He was very appreciative of the info.
  He had his mind made up on the Weber when I said "Have you seen a Rec Tec pellet grill" .. ;D
He said now after reading everyone's replies he's missed sleep reading about these two... 
 I told him he should join us on here, If he's missing sleep over a grill he should fit right in...  :D
Terry "Way down in Alabama"