Author Topic: Blaz'n Grill Works: New Direct Sear Kit Review  (Read 4750 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Blaz'n Grill Works: New Direct Sear Kit Review
« Reply #-1 on: December 23, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
Decided to splurge and get the redesigned direct sear kit for the Blaz'n Grid Iron.  We often hear that things are "built like a tank" ... well this one literally injured me so it may not be hyperbole in this case!

I got the kit over the summer to help keep me busy during COVID lockdown and decided to film it using a tripod-mounted camera.  When I went to demonstrate installing the new drip pan (12 gauge steel and built to last is a serious understatement) I had to reach awkwardly across my body so I wouldn't block the camera view.  When reviewing the original video, you can hear a muffled yelp of pain ... that was me partially tearing a muscle in my back and pinching a nerve.

After a few paychecks worth of chiropractors and recovery, I decided to give it a second go but this time with a head-mounted GoPro Hero 8 (inspired by Kenji Lopez-Alt's videos, the driving force behind SeriousEats.com).  The video was as much a test of the camera and process as it was the Blaz'n sear kit.  Overall, I'm thrilled with both and have likely found a new hobby while I'm stuck working from home.  Idle hands are the devil's workshop, after all.

So ... the new Direct Sear Kit from Blaz'n Grill Works is a pretty big step up from their old design, which simply used a narrower drip pan that required you to change the system out.  The new design is intended as a permanent replacement for the stock drip pan, and includes a hopper-side deflector and a set of GrillGrates in addition to the drip pan with removable panel. 

So far, the results are quanitatively measurable ... when removing the trapdoor and allowing for 15 minutes of high heat exposure at 400° grill set temp, the GrillGrates were measuring 520° with my trusty laser therm.  Using a reverse sear method (my preferred) it's a simple matter to get a quick sear on steaks or chops without having to dust off my Weber gasser.  For the ease of use alone it's worth the investment ... and the actual results with regard to final product are legitimate.

I'd say this direct sear system is comparable to the methods designed by Yoder and utilized by Pitts & Spitts.  I'm likely going to want to recalibrate my controller settings a bit .. I'm assuming there has to be some temp variance between my old stock pan and the new setup, but so far it hasn't given me any real surprises with steak, ribs, and wings.  Prime Rib for Christmas may provide additional data.

One final note:  I'm not planning on attempting to monetize these vids anytime soon ... I'm just in need of a hobby and like the creative process.  Hope y'all enjoy it!

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Blaz'n Grill Works: New Direct Sear Kit Review
« on: December 23, 2020, 04:54:49 PM »
Very nicely done.  Steaks and the video  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32