Author Topic: REC TEC & Kingsford  (Read 7674 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
REC TEC & Kingsford
« Reply #-1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
I read on another forum that Kingsford has invested in REC TEC.  That's about all I know about it.

Do you have more information?

Do you think it's a good move for REC TEC?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: REC TEC & Kingsford
« on: January 20, 2021, 10:52:57 AM »
I think it is a bad move.   

Remember that a big company comes in they start to gut most of what made a good company a "Good Company" and start with profit over quality 

I really hate if they did buy in and what they will do with the company  :thinking:

Just looked at their site, Kingsford pellets now being sold by them.  They did not carry them before

https://www.recteq.com/shop/pellets        ONLY BUY PELLETS WITH A GRILL YOU CAN NOT ORDER THEM ANYMORE !    Scary
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »

Remember that a big company comes in they start to gut most of what made a good company a "Good Company" and start with profit over quality 

I really hate if they did buy in and what they will do with the company  :thinking:

Just looked at their site, Kingsford pellets now being sold by them.  They did not carry them before

https://www.recteq.com/shop/pellets        ONLY BUY PELLETS WITH A GRILL YOU CAN NOT ORDER THEM ANYMORE !    Scary

That's a business decision that defies logic. Here's an idea for their new promo banner. "We don't need competitors to run us out of business. We'll do it ourselves!"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 12:44:06 PM »
They have been partners with Kingsford since October. So far no problems that I am aware of.  They are working with new investors and so far no news on who or when it is going to happen. As far as the pellets go, if you are lucky enough to live close to their headquarters in Evans, GA you can buy pellets directly from their warehouse. Shipping costs were extremely high is why they changed this as I understand.  Kingsford pellets aren't too bad and they are just about in every store but I am looking to go back to B&B competition blend which Academy sports sell. In my opinion they are just as good or better than the recteq pellets and a lot better than Kingsford.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 01:53:09 PM »

I agree Tommy.  Once the "BIG" companies get involved quality gives in to profit most of the time.  I have been seriously considering purchasing one.  I told one of my co workers about them a he bought one about 3 months ago. He really likes it.  Maybe they will maintain control.  It will not surprize me to see them in a big box store in the next year or so ...
  My daughter sells Green Mountain Grills and will get me one at a very good price point so now with this information I might just go that route. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Lines

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 03:45:03 PM »
Green mountain Grills. Have one. Great in my opinion. Fantastic customer service. Personally experienced.

Offline Roget

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 09:48:50 AM »
I have two of the GMG smokers, (a Davy and a Jim) & I am very happy with both of them)
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »
I have two of the GMG smokers, (a Davy and a Jim) & I am very happy with both of them)

My son-in-law hated his.  He had pre-wifi Jim Bowie.  The auger would jam on a regular basis.  Not sure what he was doing wrong. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Lines

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »

My son-in-law hated his.  He had pre-wifi Jim Bowie.  The auger would jam on a regular basis.  Not sure what he was doing wrong. 

Could have been the pellets. I've used 4 or 5 differents brands with no jamming problem. I have the Davy Crockett.

BD

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 03:17:46 PM »

Could have been the pellets. I've used 4 or 5 differents brands with no jamming problem. I have the Davy Crockett.
BD

Same here. I regularly use Lumber Jack pellets, but I have used several others in both of mine with no problem.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 04:52:02 PM »
Yes, could've been the pellets.  I don't know what brands he tried. 

As I know that everyone that has one here, loves them, it could also just have been a lemon . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
  My daughter told me that Green Mountain recently had an issue and they almost stopped selling them.  But then they stepped up and took care of the issue on every one that she had sold with this issue. So thats a good sign right there.

I have a question for the pellet guys...  How long does it take to get up to say 450 ?  Buddy told me his RT takes a while and struggles if you want it higher. It's not overly cold down here so I was a little surprised. I cooked on a Pellet Pro over the holidays and it seemed a little slow as well. Is this just a fact with these grills?
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Lines

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 02:20:12 AM »
Never really paid much attention, or actually timed it to 450°. I'm just guessing around 20 minutes when it's 45° outside. I'll time it on my next cook.

Offline zueth

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 12:50:31 AM »
I have a GMG and my auger constantly jams, I have tried all different pellets and store the pellets in a air right container. To me it seems the auger isn’t strong enough, not sure. I am getting rid of the GMG and was looking at a Rec Teq, everything I have heard about them is great. I don’t think I will let this new change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 11:16:18 AM »
I have a GMG and my auger constantly jams, I have tried all different pellets and store the pellets in a air right container. To me it seems the auger isn’t strong enough, not sure. I am getting rid of the GMG and was looking at a Rec Teq, everything I have heard about them is great. I don’t think I will let this new change my mind.

Have you discussed this with your dealer?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas