Other Cooking Equipment > Cast Iron & Campfire Cooking

Need Advice from the cast iron gurus

(1/2) > >>

GusRobin:
One of my gifts was a Lodge 5qt cast iron double dutch oven with a lid that also can be used as a skillet. This is my first cast iron item so I had a few questions.
1) It says it is pre- seasoned so should I still season it before use?
2) Read about how older cast iron used to be smooth where nowadays they come with a rougher surface. So some suggest that you should sand/grind them smooth and then re-season. Should I do that?

thanks for the inputs

Ka Honu:
Gus - You had to pick one of the (many?/few?) topics at which I'm not an expert but that's no reason to stop me from allowing you the benefit of my opinions...

Yes, it's pre-seasoned (but not really). Do it yourself.

Rough texture (modern) cast iron is said to help the seasoning and oil adhere better (and only takes a couple of hours to make).

Smooth/polished (old style) is what gave cast iron its reputation as non-stick cookware (but still holds its seasoning well). Took about 2-3 days to make.

It's pretty much up to you on which you prefer. You can sand rough down to smooth if you're careful (don't want to thin the pan too much or unevenly) - lots of stuff about how to do it on Google.

I prefer the smooth for when I'm concerned about the non-stick thing (eggs for example) but only have one so I tend not to use it for "everything else." Of course both work well for cornbread if you get the bacon grease hot enough.

That's all I know (but don't hesitate to ask for any assistance that I may or may not be able to legitimately offer; lack of knowledge and/or ability never stopped me from commenting).

GusRobin:
Thanks

Pam Gould:
I have a ton of cast iron and I would definately reseason after washing it with soap for the first and ONLY time. I use flax seed oil or coconut oil, it works best for cast iron or my de buyers. Warm the pan and add oil in the thinnest layer and put in 350ยบ for an hour and let cool.  Then repeat one more time.
If you have an enamel coated cast iron, you can forget these steps.
Like Circulon with the rings on the bottom of the pans, the roughness and rings prevent sticking. Be careful is you try to eliminate the roughness.
After I wash mine with hot water only and a scrubby, I use the stainess steel type. I put on stove and dry on a burner. Then reseason by wiping a few drops of oil with a paper towel,evenly, and I hang mine on hooks.
2 Pockets and I discussed this several times  I sure miss him.
Good Luck and you can do this

GusRobin:
thanks Pam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version