Author Topic: Got a new dog... Question for those who have two dogs....  (Read 2346 times)

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Got a new dog... Question for those who have two dogs....
« Reply #-1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:36:01 PM »
I know a few of you are experienced fog owners...

Yesterday we took in a 6 year old female blue Aussie, and we already have a 3 year old female blue Aussie. We have tried to make this transition easy for the both of them by having them spend time together in neutral territory, and slowly easing them into our house. However, they will start playing and that escalates into fighting. Our 3 year old has been possessive, and slowly getting used to the new dog, but we're trying to interpret what's happening and figure out the best route for both dogs. This is our first experience with this type of situation and we want to do what's best. Any thoughts or comments?
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Got a new dog... Question for those who have two dogs....
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:41:57 PM »
2 female dogs.  one has to show dominance.  we have two also.  male and female.  marley is the dominate one unless sophie has a bone. 

PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
S-L-O-W....

That seems to be what worked for us. As well - don't put them in situations a for a while that are instinctive territorial response situations, i.e. feeding, sleeping, attention from the family, etc.

There are likely some books on the subject -

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
T is right - SLOW is the key. Although the new girl is older, the younger has "owned" you for three years. She's going to feel displaced. Make it easy for her to accept the newcomer and respect her "space."

I had an Irish Setter (male) for several years. Then brought in a female (rescue dog) Setter. I was lucky. After a "discussion" about sleeping arrangements, they worked things out. Several years later we had a couple of litters of Setter pups. I don't have any magic - these two did well by themselves. But the key to me back then was to keep it slow, keep them apart for awhile, let them spend some time together, then apart. And while helping the new dog get acquainted with the family, never let the "old" dog feel replaced. It took a lot of work, but ultimately was well worth it.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Got a new dog... Question for those who have two dogs....
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
Good info guys. This was very last minute obtaining the second dog, so we have done some research but we're kinda shooting from the hip.

When you mean separated, are saying like isolate one dog to a room in the house, or just away from one another?
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
Physical distance, but within sight of one another if possible( given that they are not so aggressive toward each other that they react negatively ). Trust takes time with animals - more than with humans ( perhaps they are smarter than us... ;)) and them being able to see one another helps to establish that trust over some time.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
I just kept them apart in different parts of the house when things were getting "tense." They need time to get to know each other and they need time to be on their own. I would spend time with each of them when they were "apart" - this is not solitary confinement. Just time to decompress and have some time with you on their own.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
T's point is important as well. Dogs and other animals communicate in many ways that we don't understand. On the other hand, they can't sit down across a table and discuss things... So, I think you need to let them guide you to some extent - if things are tense - let them have some space. As much as possible, let them see and smell each other to get used to each other. Don't force them to do something they are not comfortable with. It will take time - depending on the dogs it might be a short amount of time or a longer time.
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »
GG sounds like all good advice to me. I have always just had one dog. I guess dogs are a lot like people, they don't always get along at first but later can learn to. My cock-a-poo loves all dogs and never barks at them, he just barks at people. I was lucky when my son & family got a big mixed breed, pointer and boxer or something. My dog can walk under her now. They love to run and play and sometimes get a little aggressive. My sons dog gets a little rough sometimes, or so I think, but my dog will keep going back for more.
Mine is a male and the son's is a female and generally I think opposite sexes get along better. Good luck with your two! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
We only have one dog now - Roscoe - a strange mix of lab, shepherd, huskie, and pug... but he is kinda good looking. My wife's sisters all have dogs - there are 2 golden retrievers, a German short hair, and a Chihuahua. When we go to the lake - all the dogs hang out together. Pretty much they get along - dogs have come and gone over the years. Right now, Roscoe is the baby - he just turned 1. The rest are all at least 7 - 10 years old. They get a little tired of Roscoe, cause he always wants to play.  ;D They let him know how they feel and he back's off for a bit (30 seconds or so...) But the group has worked out their pecking order and they make it work. If things get loud, I just take Roscoe for a walk. Things calm down and they all lay down in a heap...  ??? ;D But Roscoe is terrified of the Chihuahua - he won't even look at it...  ;D
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
Here's a pic of Roscoe taking a nap (his favorite hobby!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
I had two dogs for over 10 years; a Golden Retriever and a German Shepherd. The both vied for attention. It is very tough. And you have to make sure that each animal has the attention that they required. I personally, would not do this again. I have one Golden, female, and she is great! The upside of two dogs is that your floors are never dirty.

The downside of the two dogs, is that the loss is difficult as it would be to any family member. It is something, that you cannot get use to.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »
I had two dogs for over 10 years; a Golden Retriever and a German Shepherd. The both vied for attention. It is very tough. And you have to make sure that each animal has the attention that they required. I personally, would not do this again. I have one Golden, female, and she is great! The upside of two dogs is that your floors are never dirty.

The downside of the two dogs, is that the loss is difficult as it would be to any family member. It is something, that you cannot get use to.

Ed
Having had multiple dogs for many years - then no dogs for many years - and now one dog... I understand your thoughts. The loss is so hard. You are right.
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Dang, you had to make me think... Here is a pic of Damian (my Red Setter) at about 10 yo - shortly before he died of cancer. He was a funny guy.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
kind of trying the same thing at this time with two male cats. My woosy indoor cat up against the outdoor bad boy cat ??? I feel your pain :)