Author Topic: Claussen-style Garlic & Dill Knockoff Pickles  (Read 17168 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Claussen-style Garlic & Dill Knockoff Pickles
« Reply #-1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:18:23 PM »

I've always been a fan of Claussen pickles.  I tolerate some of those other dill pickles but I always levitate back to Claussen.  Why?  It goes back to the early 1960s when I was about 12 years old and worked at a Deli sweeping floors.  My salary ... I could eat whatever I wanted and I chose Deli Pickles that came in those big barrels!  Yup, I was hooked  :D

After Spuds posted his pickle recipe it got me to thinking so I searched and chose 6 Claussen-style Knockoff recipes which I morphed into my own.  Unlike canning, pickling does not require boiling the crispy goodness from your pickles and can be stored/kept in your refrigerator for up to a year.  Presuming they taste OK, mine won't last that long!!

I was going to try and grow my own pickle cucumbers but figured the chances of harvesting enough cucumbers at once to make it worthwhile to pickle were slim.  So I checked with my local grocery store only to find that they didn't have any pickling cucumbers in stock.  Talked to the Produce manager and he said he would order me a lug of pickling cucumbers which he sold me at his cost - $22.50.  Got me 19 quart jars out of it  8)

Sterilize jars and wash the cucumbers (DO NOT use regular store-bought cucumbers.  They are usually coated with wax to preserve them over long shipping/storage periods which does not bode well with the pickling/canning processes)

Brine: This makes enough brine for 4 quart jars.  No need to boil the brine.  Combine in a large pitcher. Stir until salt is dissolved.  Set aside.
  • 6 cups of filtered water
  • 2 cups Apple Cider vinegar
  • ½ cup Pickling & Canning salt ... Do not use regular table or sea salt
Ingredients for each quart jar:
  • 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced in half
  • ½ tsp mustard seed
  • 8 fresh dill sprigs/heads
  • 1 tsp pepper corn
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp dehydrated minced/chopped onion
  • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper

Instructions:
  • Tightly pack sliced cucumbers spears and/or slices in each quart jar
  • Pour pickling brine over cukes
  • Cover tightly with lids and turn the jars upside-down and right-side up a couple of times to distribute the seasoning
  • Loosen the lid and allow to sit on the counter for 3 days, shaking or turning them occasionally
  • On the 4th day, tighten the lids, and refrigerate the pickles
  • Most recipes state that these Claussen/style pickles will keep in the refrigerator for 6 months to a year

Disclaimer:  This is my first attempt at making these pickles so there are no guarantees made ... I'll know in a few days to a week how they turn out but all the recipes were virtually identical to my morphed recipe so theoretically they should turn out delicious !!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:26:03 PM by smoker pete »
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Claussen-style Garlic & Dill Knockoff Pickles
« on: June 08, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
Thanks for posting the detailed instructions and bookmarked!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
I already know the answer.They SHOULD turn out excellent.

You are so correct,crispness will be so much better with fermentation.Up until 1940 or so?,fermentation was the way it all was done,and going away from it was a loss IMO,but other methods were faster,and therefore cheaper after that.Plus loaded with live probiotics,got to love that too.

Some tips,if you have a grape leaf,put one washed per jar for crispness,r/t tannins I believe?Also cutting off the blossom end for some reason also helps keep em crisp.And a piece of cabbage leaf also good for getting the lacto fermentation going.Keeping temps room temp comfortable with ideal product temp is 72F max during process,try for sure to keep below 80F.But out of range will work,just affects time mostly IIRC,Use filtered water.

But none of that is a deal killer,if your pickles arent excellent I'll be shocked.Thanks for posting that.If I see pickling cucumbers in store I will get some and do your recipe.

Ive never done it with vinegar before,await your results.

.You got a great price on those cukes.

Enjoy and thanks Pete.MUST make those again,they are sooooo good,yours look great!YUMM YUMM YUM!!Absolutely BEAUTIFUL group!

Oh,and Ive planted 4 different types of pickling cukes this year looking for a powdery mildew resistant version that will work here.Ive given up on fussy veggies,but still want those pickling cukes so trying again this year.Have Calypso,Dasher,hybrid Bush and one I forget from nursery.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:31:06 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:38:56 PM »
Great post.  Thanks.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
Yum, that's a whole lot of jars of good looking pickles.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
Pete,

Thank you for the great recipe and excellent instructions. I like Claussen's too - so this is definitely on the short list. Will head to the Farmer's market this week to find some pickling cucumbers.

Now I need to find a recipe for horseradish pickles - I had one, but lost it...

Thanks for sharing this!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
Thanks for the recipe SP!!! The wife and I have been Claussen fans for years!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
Yes, thanks for posting this! Bookmarked!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
Another Claussen fan here, bookmarked and thanks for posting ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
Bookmarked!!  Ever since my DIL made a batch of homemade pickles to enter in the NC State Fair I decided that I would like to try some myself.  I made up some refrigerator pickles while my wife was recuperating from her knee surgery earlier in the year.  They turned out great.  I am thoroughly hooked on homemade pickles.  Thanks for posting.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline spuds

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 02:33:27 AM »
Pete,have you tasted yet?Are they a winner?

Just got a pile of persian cukes for .99/lb,still cold from the box beauties...bought all they had,2 plastic produce bags worth.Need to make em thursday.Funny,Im scooping em up,some guy comes over and looks at em,wondering what I saw so special about em I reckon.

My neighbor has one recipe from a 1950's mason jar recipe book I will try too if she can find it.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »
Pete,have you tasted yet?Are they a winner?

I have Spuds and they are simply YUMMMMMMY!!! ... Nice and crunchy with a little bite to them from the crushed red peppers.

Took a bunch of the jars to my Son's house cause he has a fridge in the garage I can use for storage.  We cracked a jar for a taste test ... My Son said he couldn't guarantee that the pickles would not be gobbled up.  :D   
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
Excellent!

Just put ours up,1 gallon jar,3 half gallons.Did halves,some spears and slices.Took one hour,thats sure reasonable.

Took 4 of the brine recipes with a bit left over. We added 2 fresh leaves from grapes to each jar.

I'll do my pictorial later.

Thanks Pete,needed a good recipe,this really looks good.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:09:43 PM by spuds »

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »
I'm excited to try some of these type!  I did my first attempts at canning last year, and they turned out pretty darn good for a first time.  Will be nice to have some alternate versions to try this time around!   

We are super lucky to have an incredible farm stand a little ways out of town that has just beau-coup goodies.  Hopefully should be opening here soon for the season.  We got just BUCKETS of pickling cukes last year.  :) 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »
i'll bring the FT.  i'm thinking picnic.......
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66