Other Cooking Equipment > Cast Iron & Campfire Cooking

Dutch and Sandy's Dutch oven ribs

(1/3) > >>

GrillinBWCA:
This technique for cooking perfect ribs was taught to me by some friends from Texas.  Dutch usually baked a big loaf of his homemade bread in another DO to serve along with the ribs.  Add a veggie side like coleslaw and a dessert like lemon squares and dinner is served.

For those interested in Dutch oven cooking who don't know where to start, click here.  I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, too.

Dutch and Sandy's Dutch Oven Ribs

1-2 racks pork ribs, cut into individual ribs
Dry rub, recipe below
Water
1-2 bottles barbecue sauce
Place roasting rack in #12 DO, then pour in water to cover the bottom of the DO and a bit more, but keep it below the rack.  Cut ribs and drop each rib into a plastic bag containing a liberal amount of the dry rub.  Shake to coat well.  Place ribs in flat layer on rack, making as many layers as required to get all the ribs in.  Fire up the charcoal and steam the ribs 90 minutes using one ring of coals under the pot and a ring and a half on top.  Don't skimp on this time!  Using a glass or metal-tipped turkey baster, remove most of the liquid from under the rack in the DO.  Liberally coat each rib with barbecue sauce either by dunking them in the sauce or slathering on with a mop or brush.  Don't be stingy with the sauce, either.  Using a fresh batch of coals, continue cooking the ribs with one ring of coals under the pot and a ring and a half on the lid.  Do not let the pot go dry.  At the end of the cooking time, serve.  For sandwiches, hold bread slice in left hand, place rib on bread, gently close bread around rib, and with right hand, twist bone gently.  The meat will fall right off the rib.

Excellent Dry Rub

1 T. black pepper
1 T. salt
1 T. onion powder
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. coriander
1 T. cumin
1 T. cayenne
2 T. paprika
3 T. chili powder
Mix all together and store in container with tight lid.

hikerman:
Sounds excellent Grillin! Will have to try on my next camping trip.  8)

GrillinBWCA:
I haven't made these for a while myself, and they're a favorite.  Looks like I need to pick up some ribs!

sparky:
am i reading this right?  you steam the ribs for 1 1/2 hours?  i would have never thought of doing that to a rib.  it's cool learning the new ways.  i'm a kinda of a old school.  throw them on the bbq for 4 or 5 hours type of guy.  that's the time i replenish my fluids.  my wife and daughter would like your way.  they are tired of my ways of cooking ribs.     :(

teesquare:
Wow!

Now that at I see your recipe - and the the cooking method explained - I am go to try this. It looks like it can be adapted to other cuts of meats as well....Very nice! Thanks for sharing :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version