Author Topic: Debunking "Beer can Chicken"..seriously?  (Read 8144 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Debunking "Beer can Chicken"..seriously?
« Reply #-1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:51 PM »
  Ok ,I saw another comment elsewhere on debunking Beer Can Chicken. ???  I mean seriously?  Its a novelty which is just plain fun to do!
 And yes I know "Drunkin" chicken dates back to ancient China or some such thing... But  they didn't have beer cans back then so they had to improvise....
   Somewhere in the South or Mid US I picture this... Somebody needed a way to get a chicken to sit upright and all they had was a beer can at the time... Just good old drunk American ingenuity.
A "hey ya'll watch this" gone right! Just like fried and boiled turkey. They ran out of chicken and somebody said "Hey, there's that old Tom turkey over there, lets fry him!
  I have cooked dozens of these fine birds if not hundreds... I did a six pack once but then realized I only got 3 beers out of the deal for me ! Used water in the cans after that but don't tell anybody....
  I just don't think this is something worth "Debunking", I mean its a chicken with a beer can stuffed up its rear. Not looking for a Michelin star here...
It does help keep the chicken moist if only by default... Especially when your drinking dozens of cans of beer with friends and maybe forgetting that chicken a minute too long!  :o...
 Ok Almost done... I mean really. Some people have too much time on their hands or have just become to obsessive with their self served egos...  ::)
Beer can chicken is Dang good and Dang fun... Have fun cooking out doors once in a while! It heals the spirit and cleans the soul!  Clears out the bladder too!
  Wait. One more thing... For those who spill the hot  beer all over when removing the can.. Here's a thought. Turn the chicken upside down over a pot or flower bed or even better (in his mind)your dogs food bowl.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: Debunking "Beer can Chicken"..seriously?
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »
I agree 100% ! ! !  In fact, one my next cooks will be doing just that, and trying out the new Vortex to get it done.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
Good looking birds either way.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »
Looks good to me and anyway you do chicken outdoors is just fun cooking!!! I don't think I'll make it out this week, down in the single digits at night!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
Thanks for one of the most entertaining posts we've had in a while  ;D

Perhaps the hardest part of doing this approach is remembering NOT to chill the can(s) of beer you plan to stuff up the bird(s)  ::) -- you're gonna get more steam from a can of room temperature beer than from a cold one!  I haven't done a BCC in a long time but I'm going to drag out my rack and do one again pretty soon. 

Oh yeah -- if you DO chill all the beer, just drink one and refill the can with hot water.  The effect will be substantially the same for at least two reasons  ???

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
I love "Beer Can Chicken...With a caveat. Please understand where I am coming from - thus my caution. I have had a sever heavy metals poisoning event - so, I will not shove an aluminum can, with print ink on the outside, and perhaps ( brand dependent ) a coating on the inside of the can up a chickens butt - and cook it at well above steaming temps...

Not worth the risk....for me. So, I uses a ceramic or stainless vessel that is the size of a beer can.

Not a nay sayer...just the LtBBQ Field Medic asking everyone to consider it. :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:38:50 PM »
I love "Beer Can Chicken...With a caveat. Please understand where I am coming from - thus my caution. I have had a sever heavy metals poisoning event - so, I will not shove an aluminum can, with print ink on the outside, and perhaps ( brand dependent ) a coating on the inside of the can up a chickens butt - and cook it at well above steaming temps...

Not worth the risk....for me. So, I uses a ceramic or stainless vessel that is the size of a beer can.

Have you considered listening to country & western instead.  ::) :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
I use ceramic chicken sitters to keep things on the safe side. I also like to pour some rub in the beer as well  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »
I have this thing I got from Cabela's looks like a giant d!ldo..works great tho. It holds a turkey and chickens too.   Pam   GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
I like to pour the beer out into a sauce pan, add some spice, get it boiling, then pour the beer back into the can 3/4 full.

This way the beer is already hot and steaming when I put the chicken in.

Also don't fill the can up all the way because the juices from the chicken will fill up the can ;)

Terry is right there is something fun and special about beer can chicken. And I believe that when done correctly it makes a difference.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 10:44:56 PM »

Have you considered listening to country & western instead.  ::) :P

We were so poor - we couldn't afford both kinds...SO I had to pick Country *OR* Western.... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 12:14:48 AM »
I have this thing I got from Cabela's looks like a giant d!ldo..works great tho. It holds a turkey and chickens too.   Pam   GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

So where do you put the batteries?  ::) :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:39 AM »

Batteries scare the chicken or turkeys..geez. but the rack is great.  LOL   GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 05:41:11 AM »

Batteries scare the chicken or turkeys..geez. but the rack is great.  LOL   GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 06:19:43 AM »
Dang Terry, did you expect this to go there?
Love to cook and eat