Author Topic: So, how did you get your start?  (Read 70359 times)

Offline rwalters

So, how did you get your start?
« Reply #-1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:57:38 PM »
Would love to hear how everyone got their start into the wonderful world of outdoor cooking. 

Was it a friend or family member that took you under their wing and got you up and running?  Or is outdoor cooking something that you took an interest in, and kind of figured it out on your own? Oh yeah, and do you recall the first grill/smoker that you owned... what was it?

For me, I grew up in a wonderful family, but my dad fired up his gas grill maybe 7-8 times/year. Needless to say, it wasn't him that taught me to cook outdoors...lol!  I've always loved food from the grill and/or smoker, but it wasn't very often that I got it growing up.

Met my wife in 93, got married in 94.  I grew up in a family where 9/10 meals were homemade, my wifes family was closer to 1/10 meals being homemade.

Needless to say, my wife didn't really know how to cook when we first got married.  I didn't know much either because I had never taken an interest in it.

After getting married, the first couple of years we didn't have 2 nickels to rub together, and ate pretty poorly... mostly canned/boxed quick meals.  That got really old... but it continued until one day I ended up finding a Char-Griller charcoal grill on sale at Wal-Mart for next to nothing.  Bought it and a bag of self lighting charcoal (didn't know any better). Didn't know a thing and messed up a good amount of food... BUT, that's what sparked my love and passion for outdoor cooking, and I slowly started to figure things out on my own (well before forums).  That was over 20 years ago, and since then, my love for outdoor cooking has only grown.  To me, it's a craft, an art, a hobby, a passion and highly therapeutic.  I am no professional chef, but I sure do enjoy trying :)

So, what's your story?   
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline UWFSAE

Re: So, how did you get your start?
« on: April 10, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
Nice concept for a thread ...

Growing up, my parents divorced when I was a wee bairn ... my maternal grandparents were in the same city so many weekends were spent at their house or at their vacation place in north Georgia.  My grandfather, like many of the "Greatest Generation" had a backyard full of toys including a then-top-of-the-line gas grill.  Delmonico steaks, barbecued sausage (link sausage split, grilled, and basted with a local mustard-based BBQ sauce called Foy's), and grilled spareribs were his normal rotation.  My mom and grandmother both saw the value in teaching me to cook (to impress girls when I was older) and I've always been comfortable throwing together decent meals.

Fast forward to my college years and we'd always be grilling out burgers, hot dogs, and steaks at my fraternity house.  We had a summer luau mixer with a sorority and did a pig roast ... that was my first time manning an offset smoker.  The girlfriends I had seemed to like my ability to cook for them so that simply encouraged me to keep doing it.  The advent of the internet opened up a whole new world of recipes and tutorials, and I was hooked.

After grad school, I invested in a series of cheap offset smokers and Wal-Mart gassers, until I moved to Texas for my PhD program.  I picked up a barely used Tejas Smoker 1628 offset from a friend who was moving overseas and invested in a Weber Genesis 330 to go along with a hand-me-down Weber Performer.  Well, Hurricane Ike in 2008 killed my Tejas 1628 and the Performer (downed tree turned them into a pile of pieces) and the Genesis was it for a while.

I eventually picked up a Smokin-It Model 3 and loved the simplicity; my job has me traveling too much to want to spend time tending a smoker.  The electric did some things well, but was sorely limited.  When I decided to build a new house, I decided it was time to jump into the pellet world.  I had friends who do everything from backyard grilling to competing at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo BBQ Championships, so I picked their brains and played around a bit with their smokers.  I was down between the cheaper RecTec 680 and the bells-and-whistles Yoder YS640 Comp Cart.  I liked, but didn't love, both for various reasons.  I stumbled across reviews by HighOnSmoke and SavannahSmoker of the Blaz'n Gridiron ... a bit more research and a couple of chats with Tim at Blaz'n and that was the clincher ... I'd never had a hands-on with them but I took a leap of faith. 

The Blaz'n is pretty much my do-everything machine now; the GrillGrates give me ample ability to sear and as far as smoking it's as good as any on the market.  My old Smokin-It is sitting in my garage, still wrapped in moving blankets.  My Genesis is there too, as I need to do a comprehensive overall on the internals.

My smoker is in heavy rotation when I'm not on the road, and the main draw for me is experimenting with homemade rubs and sauces.  I won't lie, since I built a house I had free hand in over-building the kitchen with plenty of work surfaces for prep and upgraded appliances that make everything live up to my expectations.  My friends, neighbors, and even lucky students are my guinea pigs for a lot of my recipes for the smoker; the indoor stuff is reserved for a young lady I'm lucky enough to be seeing. 

Indoor cooking feeds the body, but outdoor cooking often feeds the soul ...
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:53:47 PM »
Nice concept for a thread ...

Growing up, my parents divorced when I was a wee bairn ... my maternal grandparents were in the same city so many weekends were spent at their house or at their vacation place in north Georgia.  My grandfather, like many of the "Greatest Generation" had a backyard full of toys including a then-top-of-the-line gas grill.  Delmonico steaks, barbecued sausage (link sausage split, grilled, and basted with a local mustard-based BBQ sauce called Foy's), and grilled spareribs were his normal rotation.  My mom and grandmother both saw the value in teaching me to cook (to impress girls when I was older) and I've always been comfortable throwing together decent meals.

Fast forward to my college years and we'd always be grilling out burgers, hot dogs, and steaks at my fraternity house.  We had a summer luau mixer with a sorority and did a pig roast ... that was my first time manning an offset smoker.  The girlfriends I had seemed to like my ability to cook for them so that simply encouraged me to keep doing it.  The advent of the internet opened up a whole new world of recipes and tutorials, and I was hooked.

After grad school, I invested in a series of cheap offset smokers and Wal-Mart gassers, until I moved to Texas for my PhD program.  I picked up a barely used Tejas Smoker 1628 offset from a friend who was moving overseas and invested in a Weber Genesis 330 to go along with a hand-me-down Weber Performer.  Well, Hurricane Ike in 2008 killed my Tejas 1628 and the Performer (downed tree turned them into a pile of pieces) and the Genesis was it for a while.

I eventually picked up a Smokin-It Model 3 and loved the simplicity; my job has me traveling too much to want to spend time tending a smoker.  The electric did some things well, but was sorely limited.  When I decided to build a new house, I decided it was time to jump into the pellet world.  I had friends who do everything from backyard grilling to competing at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo BBQ Championships, so I picked their brains and played around a bit with their smokers.  I was down between the cheaper RecTec 680 and the bells-and-whistles Yoder YS640 Comp Cart.  I liked, but didn't love, both for various reasons.  I stumbled across reviews by HighOnSmoke and SavannahSmoker of the Blaz'n Gridiron ... a bit more research and a couple of chats with Tim at Blaz'n and that was the clincher ... I'd never had a hands-on with them but I took a leap of faith. 

The Blaz'n is pretty much my do-everything machine now; the GrillGrates give me ample ability to sear and as far as smoking it's as good as any on the market.  My old Smokin-It is sitting in my garage, still wrapped in moving blankets.  My Genesis is there too, as I need to do a comprehensive overall on the internals.

My smoker is in heavy rotation when I'm not on the road, and the main draw for me is experimenting with homemade rubs and sauces.  I won't lie, since I built a house I had free hand in over-building the kitchen with plenty of work surfaces for prep and upgraded appliances that make everything live up to my expectations.  My friends, neighbors, and even lucky students are my guinea pigs for a lot of my recipes for the smoker; the indoor stuff is reserved for a young lady I'm lucky enough to be seeing. 

Indoor cooking feeds the body, but outdoor cooking often feeds the soul ...
Great story! And ahhh, yes… “The advent of the Internet”... a complete game changer, eh?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:14:15 PM »
I remember my dad trying to grill chicken on a POS gas grill in the 80's. I don't recall him grilling that often but it was all crap. You see indirect cooking had not been invented yet.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:38:41 PM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:18:27 PM »
I started cooking over an open fire with friends in about 1980 at Lake Amanda..I love cooking over an open fire..I have grills, electric , gas, charcoal but my best is still open fire, with real wood.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »
I am from Texas. Cookin' a cow over a fire is a requirement for manhood. It helps that it's genetic. 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:36:43 PM »
My Dad in the 60's would cookout with a charcoal grill then gas in the mid 70's to 80's maybe five to six times a year. That was it. Burgers, Dogs, & sirloin steaks were on the menu each time. Maybe he cooked chicken parts once or twice but not much if any.  He would also grill a steak when we went to the beach each year.... great.

I started with a Hibachi grill at NY Jet games in the 70's Nothing was as good as Burgers & dogs before a football game. Then I bought a portable CB gas grill for the games in the 80's with the same menu.

Later I bought a condo in CT & would cook the same dogs & burgers plus steaks & Chicken on a new 1987 Weber Genesis gas grill. It would be the last time I had a top of the line grill. I was not happy with it

So It is not my first love but I do love good food. I can't wait to use my new Weber 22 grill this summer as my 18 has done me well for 18 years.

I am a simple person in that 90% of the music I listen to is Genesis all other is boring after a few minutes.

With cooking just give me my Weber Charcoal, My Sears Gasser, My Big easy & my Pizza oven & I am 95% all set.

For a tailgater I am not into pulled pork or Chili.

Give me Dogs, burgers, Ribs, steak, chicken, sausage, fresh tuna, shrimp & sword fish most nights & I am very happy.

The future:

I want to master Ribs on wood planks & the big easy.  I want to get into summer turkey in a big way.

I am not into smoked food at this time or very spicy food, so in short I am boring.

Spending big bucks on equipment is not my thing because I have too many hobbies & I am short on cash.

Now am I open to new things? Yes, if my time & money change for the positive I will expand.`I just have more needs now then money lol

So why am i here? Great people on this forum.  It is fun

Who do I think I would like to cook like on this forum....well all of you  ......but I really like what Smoking Don, Tommy, Pam & Tom make. There are others but those four standout for me at the moment.

I should add that cooking out on a boat is the best....I just need another boat :'( :'( :'( :'(

Anyway i am the five year rookie on here compared to all of you but thanks for letting me in
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline rwalters

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »
I remember my dad trying to grill chicken on a POS gas grill in the 80's. I don't recall him grilling that often but it was all crap. You see indirect cooking had not been invented yet. :)

My first smoker was one of those electric Brinkman bullet smokers. Used it a few times with ok results. Then it just sat and got ignored.

Got married, bought a Weber Gasser that I had for about 14 years I think. Produced some nice chow on that grill.

Then I was at my mom's cabin and got bit by the charcoal bug. I was bored with my gas grill. About this same time Pellet grills crossed my radar. I had never done any low and slow cooking before.

So with the help of a great it dying and leaving my $1500 bucks. I dug deep and paid the difference for my Mak 2 Star. Sold the gasser and bought a Weber performer. I think I have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love it! Couldn’t agree more with your assessment. I have a MAK and a Weber kettle. A dynamic duo for sure :)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »
I am from Texas. Cookin' a cow over a fire is a requirement for manhood. It helps that it's genetic. 8)
Not sure that test works on everybody. You would be exhibit A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:41:44 PM »
I started cooking over an open fire with friends in about 1980 at Lake Amanda..I love cooking over an open fire..I have grills, electric , gas, charcoal but my best is still open fire, with real wood.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
I have a hunch you could give Tee’s “genetic manhood” a real run for its money!! ;)

Offline rwalters

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
I smell a rat... c’mon buddy, spill the beans and give us the REAL story ;)

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »

Tee where I come from I would be arrested for doing that ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline rwalters

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »
My Dad in the 60's would cookout with a charcoal grill then gas in the mid 70's to 80's maybe five to six times a year. That was it. Burgers, Dogs, & sirloin steaks were on the menu each time. Maybe he cooked chicken parts once or twice but not much if any.  He would also grill a steak when we went to the beach each year.... great.

I started with a Hibachi grill at NY Jet games in the 70's Nothing was as good as Burgers & dogs before a football game. Then I bought a portable CB gas grill for the games in the 80's with the same menu.

Later I bought a condo in CT & would cook the same dogs & burgers plus steaks & Chicken on a new 1987 Weber Genesis gas grill. It would be the last time I had a top of the line grill. I was not happy with it

So It is not my first love but I do love good food. I can't wait to use my new Weber 22 grill this summer as my 18 has done me well for 18 years.

I am a simple person in that 90% of the music I listen to is Genesis all other is boring after a few minutes.

With cooking just give me my Weber Charcoal, My Sears Gasser, My Big easy & my Pizza oven & I am 95% all set.

For a tailgater I am not into pulled pork or Chili.

Give me Dogs, burgers, Ribs, steak, chicken, sausage, fresh tuna, shrimp & sword fish most nights & I am very happy.

The future:

I want to master Ribs on wood planks & the big easy.  I want to get into summer turkey in a big way.

I am not into smoked food at this time or very spicy food, so in short I am boring.

Spending big bucks on equipment is not my thing because I have too many hobbies & I am short on cash.

Now am I open to new things? Yes, if my time & money change for the positive I will expand.`I just have more needs now then money lol

So why am i here? Great people on this forum.  It is fun

Who do I think I would like to cook like on this forum....well all of you  ......but I really like what Smoking Don, Tommy, Pam & Tom make. There are others but those four standout for me at the moment.

I should add that cooking out on a boat is the best....I just need another boat :'( :'( :'( :'(

Anyway i am the five year rookie on here compared to all of you but thanks for letting me in
Down to earth and simple... my kinda person :)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »
Growing up there was never a time being around grills or bbq.

I joined the Marine Corps at 18, and I was married and living in base housing at 21. We both sucked at cooking. But, we did have one of those 20 dollar charcoal grills for hot dogs and frozen burgers.  When I got out of the Marine Corps at 23, we moved from California back to Central Florida. We bounced from living with family and renting until I was able to buy a house at 23 with a wife, 8 month old, and a brand new career in law enforcement. It was a decent starter home for a beginning family, even though 3 months later it was worth half from the financial disaster.  Two weeks after buying it and moving in and making it over we had a July 4th house warming party.  My mother surprised me with a pretty decent 4 burner gas grill. Probably a decent 300-350 grill, Char-Broil I think.  I enjoyed cooking on it when I actually used it. Probably only averages 7-15 uses a year. It eventually rusted out in 5-6 years.  I was then without fire.  On January 1 of 15 we moved from the Sunshine state to the frozen mountains of northern New Hampshire for a promotion. That fathers day the wife my son got me a basic Weber kettle. I had been eyeballing the one with the built in table but they were 300 bucks at the time. Only use it hand full of times a year. I can't grill to save my life. That's when I found out about sous vide over 2 years ago, and that helped my "mastering" of steak. Then I bought myself a propane smoker and only used it once since it sucked. I have eventually gotten a flat top grill, a Cook-Air grill, a Big Easy turkey fryer (used only once a year, guess when?).  Still ain't great at cooking, but it appears I enjoy collecting (better word that using) cooking gadgets. 

I am hoping this all changes since I now am the proud owner of a 2 Star General MAK Grill. Its way to expensive to just sit there as a lawn ornament. So I am now 33, a little more than 10 years since I got out of the military to start my new life with my new family. Here's to hoping then next 10 are actually tasty.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline rwalters

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 08:11:14 PM »
Growing up there was never a time being around grills or bbq.

I joined the Marine Corps at 18, and I was married and living in base housing at 21. We both sucked at cooking. But, we did have one of those 20 dollar charcoal grills for hot dogs and frozen burgers.  When I got out of the Marine Corps at 23, we moved from California back to Central Florida. We bounced from living with family and renting until I was able to buy a house at 23 with a wife, 8 month old, and a brand new career in law enforcement. It was a decent starter home for a beginning family, even though 3 months later it was worth half from the financial disaster.  Two weeks after buying it and moving in and making it over we had a July 4th house warming party.  My mother surprised me with a pretty decent 4 burner gas grill. Probably a decent 300-350 grill, Char-Broil I think.  I enjoyed cooking on it when I actually used it. Probably only averages 7-15 uses a year. It eventually rusted out in 5-6 years.  I was then without fire.  On January 1 of 15 we moved from the Sunshine state to the frozen mountains of northern New Hampshire for a promotion. That fathers day the wife my son got me a basic Weber kettle. I had been eyeballing the one with the built in table but they were 300 bucks at the time. Only use it hand full of times a year. I can't grill to save my life. That's when I found out about sous vide over 2 years ago, and that helped my "mastering" of steak. Then I bought myself a propane smoker and only used it once since it sucked. I have eventually gotten a flat top grill, a Cook-Air grill, a Big Easy turkey fryer (used only once a year, guess when?).  Still ain't great at cooking, but it appears I enjoy collecting (better word that using) cooking gadgets. 

I am hoping this all changes since I now am the proud owner of a 2 Star General MAK Grill. Its way to expensive to just sit there as a lawn ornament. So I am now 33, a little more than 10 years since I got out of the military to start my new life with my new family. Here's to hoping then next 10 are actually tasty.
Nice progression! :)  Curious, why do you say you suck at grilling? What is it you find so difficult or challenging?