Author Topic: Blues hog bbq sauce  (Read 14214 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Blues hog bbq sauce
« Reply #-1 on: March 17, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »
For anyone looking to try something different I recommend this sauce ( original ) . I just love it. It’s very thick and it’s sweet. I know normally people don’t like that but this sauce is different. Some Recommend mixing it 50/50 with THeir Tennessee red sauce which it really really good too.  I can’t do this because my kids say it’s too spicy. Which it isint lol but kids are sensitive to that kind of stuff. I use it to dip fries and nuggets and for cooking chicken , pork , . I can’t explain the flavor but it’s delicious trust me
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

Re: Blues hog bbq sauce
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
Thank Jeff! That’s one sauce I have never tried. Sounds like that’s gonna have to change :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
Thank Jeff! That’s one sauce I have never tried. Sounds like that’s gonna have to change :)

Will not disappoint I promise. Amazon free shipping
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »
I can support a positive recommendation, as I have been using it for quite a few years.  It is my go to sauce for pork ribs, mixing 50-50 with Tennessee Red as you mentioned.  I have not found it in local stores, but my sister found it in Menards in Michigan.  I have had to order on-line directly from them.

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
I can support a positive recommendation, as I have been using it for quite a few years.  It is my go to sauce for pork ribs, mixing 50-50 with Tennessee Red as you mentioned.  I have not found it in local stores, but my sister found it in Menards in Michigan.  I have had to order on-line directly from them.

I saw it at my local Ace Hardware store yesterday. They also had some of my other go-to rubs (Killer Hogs, etc.) Might be worth a try if you have an Ace nearby...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Yep. Good stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 03:06:47 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  In addition to the Original and Red, Amazon also carries their Smokey Mountain.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 04:57:33 PM »
It's good stuff and it has a unique taste that you're familiar with but don't know what it is. Well, I can tell you what it is and it's thyme, crazy as that sounds! As a matter of fact, buddies of the guys that make Blues Hog make a similar sauce of their own and it tastes REAL close to BH. It's called I-Que Sauce, it's from the book Wicked Good Barbecue

IQUE BBQ Sauce
Makes about 2 quarts
(From Wicked Good Barbecue)

4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns, freshly ground*
1 1/2 teaspoons long peppercorns, freshly ground*
1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon tomato powder**, optional
1/2 tablespoon hickory powder**, optional (we used liquid smoke, instead)
4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons IQUE Dry Rub (recipe follows)

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, make a gastrique by bringing the brown sugar, cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce to a gentle boil.

Remove from the heat and add the thyme, mustard, garlic powder, cumin, ground Szechuan peppercorns, ground long peppercorns, chipotle powder, and tomato powder and hickory powder, if using. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Stir in the ketchup and corn syrup, return to stove, and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add IQUE Dry Rub. Let cool and store in refrigerator, preferably in squeeze bottles, for up to 1 month.

*A blend of mixed peppercorns can be substituted for the Szechuan and long peppercorns, but in our opinion the sauce won't be nearly as wicked. (We just used black peppercorns and the world didn't end, so I think you're okay).

**Tomato powder and hickory powder are available by mail order or at specialty food stores.

IQUE Dry Rub
Makes about 3 cups

1 cup turbinado sugar (we used light brown sugar)
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup high-quality paprika, such as Spanish paprika
6 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin seeds, freshly ground
4 teaspoons mixed peppercorns, freshly ground (we used black peppercorns)
4 teaspoons garlic granules (we used garlic powder)
3 teaspoons onion granules (we used onion powder)
2 teaspoons MSG (or Accent), optional
1 teaspoon chipotle powder

Place all ingredients in a large spice blender and pulse until it becomes a fine powder (we just mixed it by hand). Refrigerate in an airtight container. This rub will keep indefinitely, but try to use within 1 month to ensure freshest flavor.

It won't be as thick as BH but you could add cornstarch to thicken if you like. You could also add caramel color if you want to darken it. I usually just let it sit on the stove and thicken for a bit. When it comes time to serve it, I add red wine vinegar to a squirt bottle, about a 50/50 mix with the I-Que sauce and it will make you slap yo mama, yo daddy, maybe even yourself when you add some to some nice smokey pulled pork. Gives a nice ZING!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 06:51:32 PM »
we love the 50/50 mix of the Original and Tennessee Red. What I have done, as per Old Dave's recommendation, is had a tablespoon or so of honey to the mixture. It cuts down on the harshness and heat of the Tennessee Red.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:26:17 PM »
Added to my bookmark, thank you Sir ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 04:59:04 AM »
Question..I have the tomato boullion cubes and like their flavor is that the same as tomato powder? or maybe dehydrated tomatoes?   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »
Question..I have the tomato boullion cubes and like their flavor is that the same as tomato powder? or maybe dehydrated tomatoes?   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I've always omitted that part, not needed. I think they went a little overboard on that recipe, with the crazy peppers and whatnot. I use regular old pepper. I use liquid smoke instead of hickory powder and use cayenne. Also, instead of the I-Que rub, I just throw whatever rub I have on hand in there, usually the rub my wife makes for ribs/butts. Works fine.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
It's good stuff and it has a unique taste that you're familiar with but don't know what it is. Well, I can tell you what it is and it's thyme, crazy as that sounds! As a matter of fact, buddies of the guys that make Blues Hog make a similar sauce of their own and it tastes REAL close to BH. It's called I-Que Sauce, it's from the book Wicked Good Barbecue

IQUE BBQ Sauce
Makes about 2 quarts

4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns, freshly ground*
1 1/2 teaspoons long peppercorns, freshly ground*
1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon tomato powder**, optional
1/2 tablespoon hickory powder**, optional (we used liquid smoke, instead)
4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons IQUE Dry Rub (recipe follows)

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, make a gastrique by bringing the brown sugar, cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce to a gentle boil.

Remove from the heat and add the thyme, mustard, garlic powder, cumin, ground Szechuan peppercorns, ground long peppercorns, chipotle powder, and tomato powder and hickory powder, if using. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Stir in the ketchup and corn syrup, return to stove, and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add IQUE Dry Rub. Let cool and store in refrigerator, preferably in squeeze bottles, for up to 1 month.

*A blend of mixed peppercorns can be substituted for the Szechuan and long peppercorns, but in our opinion the sauce won't be nearly as wicked. (We just used black peppercorns and the world didn't end, so I think you're okay).

**Tomato powder and hickory powder are available by mail order or at specialty food stores.

IQUE Dry Rub
Makes about 3 cups

1 cup turbinado sugar (we used light brown sugar)
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup high-quality paprika, such as Spanish paprika
6 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin seeds, freshly ground
4 teaspoons mixed peppercorns, freshly ground (we used black peppercorns)
4 teaspoons garlic granules (we used garlic powder)
3 teaspoons onion granules (we used onion powder)
2 teaspoons MSG (or Accent), optional
1 teaspoon chipotle powder

Place all ingredients in a large spice blender and pulse until it becomes a fine powder (we just mixed it by hand). Refrigerate in an airtight container. This rub will keep indefinitely, but try to use within 1 month to ensure freshest flavor.

It won't be as thick as BH but you could add cornstarch to thicken if you like. You could also add caramel color if you want to darken it. I usually just let it sit on the stove and thicken for a bit. When it comes time to serve it, I add red wine vinegar to a squirt bottle, about a 50/50 mix with the I-Que sauce and it will make you slap yo mama, yo daddy, maybe even yourself when you add some to some nice smokey pulled pork. Gives a nice ZING!

I’m a fan of blue hog and have been using it for years. My favorite is Tennessee Red. Thin, sweet with a spicy kick. 

Thanks for posting the recipes. I look forward to making them.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
Ronman:  Thanks for the info about Ace Hardware having Blues Hog.  I did not realize that they did, and also, how many of the BBQ rubs and sauces that they sell.  You can check on-line to see what is in stock, and if not, order for it to be sent to the store.  Saves shipping charges.

Offline mulletminnow

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 09:10:00 AM »
Closest Ace store to Me is about fifteen miles away.
Been wanting to try the Blues Hog and was passing thru yesterday so decided to stop and get a bottle or two.
Besides not even knowing what Blues Hog was the only bbq Sauce they had in the grill dept was Cowboy something or other.
Guess I'll keep on using "Tom's secret sauce" on My ribs.