Author Topic: Vac Sealers  (Read 193 times)

Offline Pappymn

Vac Sealers
« Reply #-1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:12:40 PM »
My Foodsaver model is acting up. I don't use it a ton, but I will be using it more considering my new source for bacon comes in a 15 pound box. Not sure I can justify a chamber sealer, but open to looking.

Any fans of your current equipment?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Vac Sealers
« on: June 02, 2019, 05:18:38 PM »
When mine starting acting up I bought another Foodsaver (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016C4KK20/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Works like a charm and it doesn't heat up and quit like my last one did after about 10 seals.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
When I lived in Alaska in the "80s we had the original FoodSaver. It was basic and we used the cr*p out of it with all the salmon and halibut. When it finally died, Foodsaver was getting fancy with all their features and the usability and quality took a big nose dive they'd gone to China, so I researched and got a different brand that proved to be another workhorse and we used the cr*p out of that one also till it finally died. Probably had it 15 years, so it paid off in spades. That company got absorbed by something else, so I went elsewhere. (Some background here) My scuba dive buddy, his grandson and me spearfish every summer at Neah Bay, the NW tip of WA ST. On  four days of diving we load our limits of Ling Cod, Black rockfish, Blue rockfish, Cabezon, Kelp Greenlings. We always get a room that has a kitchenette with a full size fridge. We take the vac packer, process each day's catch at the end of the day, and it goes into the freezer. The machine we're using now, and it's been about three years of this is a Weston Pro-2300. Plus all of the other day to day use for vaccing(is that even a word?) bulk purchases. It has a long running duty cycle, will take up to a 15" wide bag, or multiples of smaller bags and has a 1/4" wide seal bar which none of my others had. Not one complaint about this machine from me. Chamber machines are nice and the bags are cheaper, but they're not very portable. So, my $.02, for what it's worth. Keep the change ;) ;D   
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:54:52 AM by Salmonsmoker »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:14:34 PM »
Agreed...the Weston 2300 used to be private labeled by Cabela's...then Cabela's went cheapskate. Th Weston 2300 is a worthwhile purchase Pappy. It will las a long time - AND parts are readily available. It is worth fixing if it ever needed it...tho not likely as it is a commercial duty unit.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401