Author Topic: Po'Man Grill  (Read 22137 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Po'Man Grill
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 12:00:07 PM »
However, this cooker is more towards infrared type heat...

Now you've done it! Tommy will probably go out and buy several of them and start modifying and forget to patent his mods and not get rich when he should.

And with the cooker's bad habit of not burning the chickens, Kimmie won't be happy either.

I hope you're satisfied.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
Looks amazing.  Now,  I want one.

hang in there and watch for all the cooks I got coming up.

Trust me, if things go the way I think they are, I will definitely recommend you adding one to your outdoor arsenal  8)

If only you had stayed in TX a little longer, we could have put it through the paces together.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2019, 09:55:22 AM »
Filling up the charcoal basket how long a cook can you get?

Howdy Sparky, the charcoal basket if filled to the brim is a little over 5 lbs of briquettes. With the lid at 1/4 inch you should get a 3 1/2  hour burn.

I was skeptical about the "short" burn time but so far this has not been an issue. You will see with my upcoming cooks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:17:47 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
However, this cooker is more towards infrared type heat...

Now you've done it! Tommy will probably go out and buy several of them and start modifying and forget to patent his mods and not get rich when he should.

And with the cooker's bad habit of not burning the chickens, Kimmie won't be happy either.

I hope you're satisfied.

You have me doing the "walk of shame" Turtle.  At least I haven't soaked any wood chunks yet  ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 10:15:16 AM »
Hi all, I have another cook post later but I would like to clear some things up that I reported incorrectly.

I mentioned stainless steel components for the internal parts of the Po-Man.  The skewers and cooking grate are. The other components are rolled steel.

If and when you would like to order the PoMan please feel free to purchase off of  pomangrill.com

Of course you are more than welcome to get your PoMan anywhere you like but the Mfg pointed out to me that you get a 10.00 customer code when purchasing direct and free shipping. Lets face it, 10.00 bucks gets you two chickens for your first PoMan cook.  8) You also get all the tips and videos and reviews from the Po Man himself on their site to get you on the right track of being a PoMan.

Also, I watched a video review from a while back and the reviewer mentioned that the PoMan logo on the "can" is a sticker and he wondered how long it would stay on.

I am pleased to report that the "sticker" is now metal and riveted to the PoMan.  You do get a sticker in your instruction manual packet  :thumbup:

I would also like to state that none of the internal components are for sale separately. In the world of drums and barrels and trash cans there are those that like to get the "innards" and then make their own to save money.

I was informed that to this day PoMan has not had to replace a charcoal basket or deflector plate due to burnout.  They are both real stout!!

However one item is for sale: the fuel cup and skewers. The skewers is a no brainer. Here is what the Mfg says: Why cook 20 wings when you can cook 40? Get an extra set of skewers to increase your cooking capacity

Now I can see why the fuel cup is sold as well. Why would you need another fuel cup you say?  Simple, my first clean up I removed the charcoal basket and folded up the foil with the charcoal ash and tossed it away.

Then I spent 30 minutes wandering around and scratching my head wondering where in the Sam Hill did I put the fuel cup.

It was in the charcoal ash in the foil I wadded up and tossed out  :D

You don't see it when you remove the charcoal basket so just reach in the center of the dust and out she comes!!

Just wanted to get some things cleared up.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »
That is some great looking chicken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 02:37:24 PM »
We have been trying to eat salmon at least once a week. I had reservations doing salmon in the Po Man because of the higher temps but lets go for it.

Used the cooking grate on level 3 (which is just under the top level 4 where you use your skewers)

The Po Man didn't let me down. 30 minutes later the salmon was at a perfect 142 degrees internal. Just perfect. Slightly smokey on the outside and moist on the inside.

Such an easy cooker to use. I wish I could comment more on how I tweaked this and rotated that and set the dial.......nope, this is set it and forget it at its best
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
That salmon looks just about perfect. Nice job Smoke
Love to cook and eat

Offline rwalters

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 03:39:39 PM »
WOW! That came out great!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 02:53:31 AM »
Looks great! Lets see some ribs!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »
Looks great! Lets see some ribs!

That is the next cook coming up  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »
I'm curious because I've got a PBC and love the flavor profile. I wonder if it will be the same with the grease dripping onto the plate versus directly onto the coals? Time will tell, and hats off to you for the great review on this intriguing cooker!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
I'm curious because I've got a PBC and love the flavor profile. I wonder if it will be the same with the grease dripping onto the plate versus directly onto the coals? Time will tell, and hats off to you for the great review on this intriguing cooker!

The flavor profile is different. You are getting charcoal flavor because you are minion method burning of the charcoal under the deflector plate. The deflector plate gets screaming hot and the drippings from the meat hit and it also smokes and sizzles back flavor to your meat.

More of an infrared cook like you would get in an offset with reverse flow plates
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
Lets cook some ribs......or should I say "trash" em  ;D

St Louis Style spares. Cut em in half.  Po man recommends cutting full racks in half.

Used a marinade with no dry rub. Skewered em

Filled the coal basket and had the deflector plate in place and away we go.

Here were the ribs 1 hour and 45 minutes later

I added some apple juice to the foil for the ribs.

While doing that I pulled out the cooking rack and added about 2-3 lbs of unlit charcoal to the firebasket. (more about this later)

When the new coal took off I added the cooking grate to the rack and back in the Po Man

Also added some bacon jalapeno cheesy bread

Ribs stayed in the foil for one hour and look at these

Melted and gooey on the top and perfectly crispy on the bottom

My plate for the evening  (yes there was a second helping)

So you ask yourself   Ribs in 3-3.5 hours??  Were they tender? shouldn't ribs be done at 225 degrees for 6 hours? What is wrong with The Smoke?

The ribs were perfect. Tender and juicy and a little tug off of the bone. I kid you not this Po Man can "trash" some ribs ladies and gents  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
Those look excellent!!! You forgot to circle back to why you added some unlit charcoal… ;-)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)