Author Topic: Po'Man Grill  (Read 22327 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Po'Man Grill
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »

A "drawback" for some might be that for very long cooks the Po Man will need to be refilled.

Top time is 3.5 hours on the charcoal basket.

However the process is basically lifting out the cooking grate rack and pouring in unlit charcoal on top of the burning charcoal.

Now you have another three hours of cook time.

More than enough to finish off a brisket.

I found during my rib cook that I did not have to add coals but I wanted to see the process.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 09:33:19 AM »
How about trashing some chicken wangs??
As you can see capacity for wings is not an issue. I could have used the other two skewers and at 6 wings per skewer you got 24 wings getting cooked up
You could buy 4 more skewers and hang em off of the rack just below the top setting and cook a very impressive 48 wings at a time.

Wings were done in about 45 minutes so we removed em and foiled em and placed in the cooking grate and smoked up some mac and cheese

Another great meal!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »
How about trashing some chicken wangs??
As you can see capacity for wings is not an issue. I could have used the other two skewers and at 6 wings per skewer you got 24 wings getting cooked up
You could buy 4 more skewers and hang em off of the rack just below the top setting and cook a very impressive 48 wings at a time.

Wings were done in about 45 minutes so we removed em and foiled em and placed in the cooking grate and smoked up some mac and cheese

Another great meal!!

That's a meal fit for a king or me
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
Could I ask youwhat you marinated the ribs in? I always use a dry rub but I'd love to give that a try! That's a very impressive little smoker I've gotta admit, alot of bang for the buck! How do you rate the build quality, is this thing gonna last awhile with regular use? Great for camping or picnics I reckon...

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 05:20:41 PM »
Could I ask youwhat you marinated the ribs in? I always use a dry rub but I'd love to give that a try! That's a very impressive little smoker I've gotta admit, alot of bang for the buck! How do you rate the build quality, is this thing gonna last awhile with regular use? Great for camping or picnics I reckon...

I used Famous Daves Pork Marinade which was pretty darn good.

As for build quality, this cooker is solid. The fire box and cooking rack are stout cold rolled steel. If using foil to line the bottom and not let ashes build up and sit for any length of time the Po Man is going to be around for a very long while.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
Had to throw together a quick so I fired up the PoMan and made some burger patties. The PoMan is great at weeknight cooking.
Used the cooking grate

Now you do not flip your burgers in the Po Man, just let em ride for 45 minutes

Got some hard rolls (its a Midwest thang)

The PoMan can cook up a good burger  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2019, 10:18:24 AM »
For the 4th of July yesterday we fired up the PoMan for lunch and supper.

Lets start with lunch:   hot dogs and brats

I placed the cooking grate at a lower setting to set the brats on (I did not want to skewer them to loose all the juices) and I skewered up some hot doggies
They were all pre cooked in boiling beer and onion

In under 20 minutes the hot dogs were done

The brats are not ready but my doggies are done. What to do? What to do?

Simple, foil em up and set em back on top of the skewers to stay warm while the brats finish up!!

About 15 minutes later and a turn or two, the brats are now ready

a good lunch I must say

Now about my 4th lunch cook:

how nice to not have to flip hot dogs and have em running all over the grill, burning, splitting open, y'all know the routine

Talk about the capacity of the PoMan, I could have easily have gotten 10 hot dogs on each skewer. you could easily hang 80 hot dogs on skewers if using the next grate down. How about that for a weenie roast!!!!!  80 hot diggity dogs in under 20 minutes cooked perfectly and not burnt or split open :thumbup:

The brats I was a little worried about being set on the cooking grate at a lower setting. No worries as well. They cooked up perfectly!!

Well the 4th of July is moving along and it is almost supper time.

Had some small Angus Chuck eye steaks. Known as "Po Man ribeyes"

Sounds like a perfect fit for the PoMan cooker  8)

Went with my Central Texas rub and a pinch of garlic

These were on the small side so I only had about 3 lbs of charcoal lit.

Now, the PoMan himself told me when he cooks steaks he does not use the flavor/deflector plate. So I tried that

Not knowing about the results with the deflector plate out I had the cooking grate one notch below the top setting and they cooked up nice

I am very comfortable using the PoMan and I have some pretty cool cooks coming up so stay tuned  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

Po'Man Grill
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
Man, it just keeps impressing! Keep em’ coming... we are watching :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:45:37 AM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
Man, it’s just keeps impressing! Keep em’ coming... we are watching :)

Yes Sir, we try to cook on the PoMan everyday, it is that good and so much fun.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline ShanH

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »
I cooked next to the guy the Po' Man himself at a bbq competition in Alabama several years ago. I was cooking on my pull-behind offset stick burner and he had several Po' Mans cooking away. Really solid dude. There were about 15 teams in the backyard division that year and out of all of the teams, the Po'Man always had a crowd of people around because they're so interesting. Everybody loved everything that he pulled off of those cookers that day and I was so impressed that I bought one a couple days after that competition. I also bought my dad and my father in law one. Smoke is right, it doesn't get any easier than cooking on a Po'Man. My dad is not very good with grills and was intimidated, to say the least, about trying to smoke ribs, boston butts, or anything really. But he nows sends me pictures of different cooks every so often thanks to the Po'Man. My father in law is the exact opposite and even owned a bbq restaurant at one point in time, and he loves this little cooker. Cant say enough good things about these cookers and the Po'Man.
Just trying not to mess up these groceries

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 05:22:27 PM »
I cooked next to the guy the Po' Man himself at a bbq competition in Alabama several years ago. I was cooking on my pull-behind offset stick burner and he had several Po' Mans cooking away. Really solid dude. There were about 15 teams in the backyard division that year and out of all of the teams, the Po'Man always had a crowd of people around because they're so interesting. Everybody loved everything that he pulled off of those cookers that day and I was so impressed that I bought one a couple days after that competition. I also bought my dad and my father in law one. Smoke is right, it doesn't get any easier than cooking on a Po'Man. My dad is not very good with grills and was intimidated, to say the least, about trying to smoke ribs, boston butts, or anything really. But he nows sends me pictures of different cooks every so often thanks to the Po'Man. My father in law is the exact opposite and even owned a bbq restaurant at one point in time, and he loves this little cooker. Cant say enough good things about these cookers and the Po'Man.

Thank you so much for adding to the review. Wes and Emily over at PoMan have got themselves something special going on, that's for sure.

How do you like the review? Have I been spot on?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2019, 06:47:24 AM »
That Po' man should be called a Tired Man, cos you're sure giving that thing a work out! Best review i've read and any grilling product, I thank you for the good work. If you're like me, you gonna need to get to the gym after eating all that delicious grub.

Offline RAD

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 08:54:09 AM »
You are killing this thing Smoke. It all looks great.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »
A great review (story) about you and the Po Boy.

I'm watchin' you as this progresses.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »
Today is a big day for the PoMan!!

We were over at a co-workers last week where I got hornswaggled into manning the grill  8)

Wendy was telling everyone about the "trash can" we cook on.

Well pretty soon, they were on their cell phones and asking me questions.

So we got invited to a pretty big hoop-de-doo today and the PoMan will be going on the road to cook some grub for everyone.

You will all see how the PoMan is not only great on your back patio but it wants to go along with you wherever you go.
Getting ready to go:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven