Author Topic: Po'Man Grill  (Read 22332 times)

Offline RAD

Re: Po'Man Grill
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2019, 07:27:29 PM »
Not bad, not bad at all. They look pretty tender
Love to cook and eat

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2019, 03:28:20 AM »
I'd take some trashy ribs
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »
Had some cruddy weather this weekend but was able to "trash" some chicken thighs.

Marinated in pineapple and orange juice and cilantro and onion

No other cooker does chicken better than the PoMan

Made some Mexican rice to go along with the chicken

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »
I give up! You've convinced me, I want one. Badly.  But, and theres always a but, I'm retired and live in Portugal. This presents problems for me! There are no distributors this side of the pond. I was finally able to source a PBC in England, and had to pay to have it delivered here in a truck. I love it but I'll bet its the most expensive PBC on the planet! I've gotta face facts, theres no way in hell I'll ever get one over here.... but I will say this has been the most intersting review on a product I've ever read, very thorough  with many many different cooks and I'd like to say thank you for making me very jealous, and hungry too. Keep up the great work! 

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
I give up! You've convinced me, I want one. Badly.  But, and theres always a but, I'm retired and live in Portugal. This presents problems for me! There are no distributors this side of the pond. I was finally able to source a PBC in England, and had to pay to have it delivered here in a truck. I love it but I'll bet its the most expensive PBC on the planet! I've gotta face facts, theres no way in hell I'll ever get one over here.... but I will say this has been the most intersting review on a product I've ever read, very thorough  with many many different cooks and I'd like to say thank you for making me very jealous, and hungry too. Keep up the great work!

Thank you Sir.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
Everything looks good smoke! I did a tri tip on the po man tonight and it came out perfect and juicy!
I had the grate on the top setting and filled the charcoal basket half full knowing it would be a quicker cook. After I reached my desired temp I took the grate out and reversed seared it on the drip plate!
It worked great!
The one thing I really like about the po man compared to my PBC and 26er that in my opinion is the set up and heating time is quicker when your short on time.

If you like to cook with charcoal you can't beat the price for what you get.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline rwalters

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2019, 10:53:03 PM »
Everything looks good smoke! I did a tri tip on the po man tonight and it came out perfect and juicy!
I had the grate on the top setting and filled the charcoal basket half full knowing it would be a quicker cook. After I reached my desired temp I took the grate out and reversed seared it on the drip plate!
It worked great!
The one thing I really like about the po man compared to my PBC and 26er that in my opinion is the set up and heating time is quicker when your short on time.

How many tri tips do you think you could fit on the grate at once? Or if hanging, how many tri tips would you guess you can get in the Po Man at once?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2019, 08:01:34 AM »
It worked great!

How many tri tips do you think you could fit on the grate at once? Or if hanging, how many tri tips would you guess you can get in the Po Man at once?

First off I would like to say that the only thing I miss about California is the tri tips  ;D    Ok, got that out of my system.

I would say that 2 good size tris would fit on the cooking grates (maybe three)

If hanging, safe to say 4, but I betcha you could get 3 per skewer (you get 2 can order more) for 6

So if hanging from the top rack and using the cooking grate, you could cook 8 tri tips at a time.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
Gotta love what going vertical does when it comes to cooking real estate :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline ShanH

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2019, 01:00:12 PM »
It worked great!

I've had my Po Man for years and for some reason it's never occurred to me that I could reverse sear directly on the drip plate! What a dummy... Admittedly, I've only used the Po Man to reverse once when we were at a backyard competition a year or so ago and they gave us a pork chop as the surprise/mystery meat, but it turned out great! Typically, I use my GMG at 150-175 and then sear in a cast iron pan over charcoal OR my grill grates turned upside down on my charcoal grill. It always turns out fantastic but it takes a couple hours so we really only can do it on the weekends. Plus I'm having to clean up two grills afterwards. The only downside I can see to only having to use one grill, the Po Man, for reverse searing like this is that I won't get as much smoke flavor because of the higher temps on the front end of the cook. I'm definitely excited to try this real soon.
Just trying not to mess up these groceries

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »
This is so good I just had to do it again.............this time in the Po Man.

Al Pastor.

Got a small pork butt and sliced it long ways and marinated over night in Adobo paste with pineapple and orange juice, sliced yellow onions and cilantro

The next morning, take a whole pineapple and cut off the top and bottom (leave the bottom thicker than the top)
remainder of the pineapple, trim off the exterior and slice and leave a whole in the middle for the skewer ( I use a turkey hanger from PBC )

Now the fun part start piling up the sliced pork onto the pineapple bottom with pineapple slices  (don't forget the onions and cilantro )

Into the PoMan!!

After two and half hours I removed the Pastor and wrapped in foil, while I did this I added more charcoal to the firebasket

When the Pastor registered 190, I removed it from the "trash can"  :D
I let it rest for about 30 minutes and then I revealed this:

Just like they would do in Tijuana Mexico, I stood the Pastor up straight and sliced right down the sides   ( I could have used a butter knive )

All ready for tacos and burritos!!

I enjoyed the flavor profile from the PoMan. The last one I did had to heavy of the grease fog flavor that overpowered the pork.

This was just perfect.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
Wow!!! Does that look delicious!
I will have to agree with smoke on the amount of tri tip that would fit in the Po Man.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »
Well, time to wrap up the Po Man review.

I really like this cooker.

It has done everything it has claimed it can do.

This is not a overnight cook type of cooker.

The PoMan does not claim to be a lo and slo cooker.

It is a power cooker that runs for three hours 350-325 degrees.

This cooker enables you to enjoy charcoal cooks any day of the week.

This cooker produces food that might make others think you slaved away but you just basically lit charcoal.

Lots of capacity for a very small footprint.

This cooker is equally good in the backyard or at the camp ground or the big game parking lot.

The PoMan cooker cooks the best chicken hands down better than any of my current or past pits.

It is a cooker that appears to not take itself very seriously yet produces championship caliber grub.

It is an attention getter. My neighbors always walk by and stare at it while it is cooking away.

The PoMan cooker has become my most used cooker, it might just become yours as well.  :)

I would like to thank Wes and Emily over at PoMan cookers for their help and suggestions throughout this review  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
Great job Smoke!!    Now what does Smoochy say about it?   :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
Excellent review sir! Thank you :)