Author Topic: Upcoming Veterans Day..........  (Read 8376 times)

Offline AndyL

Upcoming Veterans Day..........
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2019, 06:41:32 AM »
I hope this is the correct section for this post.........

With veterans day just a couple of days away I just want to thank all my fellow veterans who belong to this forum who have served this great country of ours past, present and future. I hope all is well.

US Army
Infantryman, 11B
1983 - 1987

C Co. 1/58th Infantry Bn. 197th Infantry Brigade (Mechanized Infantry Armor Heavy)
"Love of Country"

B Co. 4/502nd Infantry Bn. Berlin Brigade, 101st. Airborne Division.
"Swift Strike"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:51:20 AM by AndyL »

Offline Jaxon

Re: Upcoming Veterans Day..........
« on: November 09, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
Thank you, sir, for your service.

Deb and I went to see "Midway" yesterday and it gave me a greater appreciation for the dedication and sacrifice of our military personnel.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:10:14 AM »
US Navy
Submarine Service
Sonarman on Fast Attack Submarines
STS-1 (SS)
1966 - 1973

Qualified 50 years ago this year.  Inducted into the Holland Club this past June for 50+ year qualified submariners.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
All you vets who have (or want to have) Amazon Prime...

They're running a Veterans Day promo which gives you a year of (or adds a year to your existing) Prime membership for $80 (a $40 discount). Google for details. You have to do it by Monday.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »
Both my grandfathers served in WWII - my paternal grandfather in the Army (he was a POW) and my maternal grandfather in the Navy.  I too young when they were alive to understand the significance of their service.

Thank you to all who have served. 
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »
Happy Veterans Day to all my fellow Vets

USMC 1986-1997
Love to cook and eat

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:10:52 AM »
All you vets who have (or want to have) Amazon Prime...

They're running a Veterans Day promo which gives you a year of (or adds a year to your existing) Prime membership for $80 (a $40 discount). Google for details. You have to do it by Monday.

I just extend with the savings - Thanks Ka

https://www.amazon.com/prime/promo/pricing/landing?promoID=A3J87G75D3ZPEJ&ref_=us_mil_assoc&tag=veteransaffai-blog-20
Love to cook and eat

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 09:32:40 AM »
While some of the memories are not pleasant, the privilege of serving with so many fine men and women was an honor.

US Army
Combat Engineers
1966-1969
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:52:09 AM by sschorr »
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline AndyL

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
Awesome........I love to read other Vets checking in. My brother was drafted in 72' and I followed in my father in laws footsteps and became an Infantryman. The bottom two pics are of my wife's father (my adopted father). Al had a prestigious and heroic military career.  He was an original founding member of the famed 10th Mountain Division in World War 2, which was an all volunteer unit formed at the time. He trained for months in the mountains of Colorado as a ski/mountain soldier before  being shipped to the Italian Alps to fight the German Army aggressively and with vigor until they succeeded in thier unconditional surrender and he came home. The bottom 2 pics are of Al, one of him walking in an Italian town somewhere after pushing out the Germans. He's what I consider a true definition of a real American hero and I couldn't be more proud to be able to say I knew him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 03:36:18 PM »
AndyL:  My father served in the 10th Mountain Division and fought in the Po Valley in Italy.  I wonder if your father and mine were there at the same time?  Here are pictures of them taken in Italy:

Offline AndyL

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 05:06:01 PM »
Wow! What a coincidence,  my father's name was Albert N. Nencioni. He had pics just like the ones you posted here! He was highly active in 10th Mountain Division reunions and other things to do with his unit. I do remember Al talking about the Po valley. Al was in Company I, 85th Infantry Regiment Al didn't have any problems talking about his experiences at all. He also talked about the Mt. Belvedere battle (Riva Ridge) that was a conflict just before the Po valley where, they scaled a basic vertical shear rock cliff on the side of the mountain, at night in February in complete silence. He said one of the men in his unit dropped thier helmet and Al said he had never been as scared in his life as he was that very moment. He said if the Germans would have heard that they would have all been killed, vulnerable out in the open hanging by ropes. But, they weren't heard. In the end they took the Germans by complete surprise, still losing 300-400 men killed in the battle that insued at day break the next day. Upon surrendering the German general in charge the unit was completly amazed that the 10th climbed that rock face that they thought was impossible to climb. Hence the lack of guards in that side. Senator Bob Dole was a lieutenant in Al's Company and he was wounded losing the use of his arm forever and shipped out. Al was a 60mm mortar staff sergeant. He was setting up his mortar bent down to grab something on the ground and his best buddy took an 8mm German round dead center in his chest and died in his arms. Al was wounded and he recovered and returned to his unit until the end. Al passed away Oct 23rd, 2009 he was 85 years old here's a pic of Al where he's now resting in Arlington National Cemetery. In the pic here are 2 of my 3 daughters thats around 7 years old but very special to me. Al finally regrouped with all his old Co. I 85th regiment buddies one last time.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
I love our vets so much. Greatest example of Americans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »
USCG '75-'79.  WHEC 725 Jarvis '75-'77 / Coast Guard Station Humboldt Bay '77-'79.  E-4 bos'n mate / rescue swimmer.   Part of the "360 club".  Rolled a 41' motor life boat in the surf of Humboldt bay surf line. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
Wow! What a coincidence,  my father's name was Albert N. Nencioni. He had pics just like the ones you posted here! He was highly active in 10th Mountain Division reunions and other things to do with his unit. I do remember Al talking about the Po valley. Al was in Company I, 85th Infantry Regiment Al didn't have any problems talking about his experiences at all. He also talked about the Mt. Belvedere battle (Riva Ridge) that was a conflict just before the Po valley where, they scaled a basic vertical shear rock cliff on the side of the mountain, at night in February in complete silence. He said one of the men in his unit dropped thier helmet and Al said he had never been as scared in his life as he was that very moment. He said if the Germans would have heard that they would have all been killed, vulnerable out in the open hanging by ropes. But, they weren't heard. In the end they took the Germans by complete surprise, still losing 300-400 men killed in the battle that insued at day break the next day. Upon surrendering the German general in charge the unit was completly amazed that the 10th climbed that rock face that they thought was impossible to climb. Hence the lack of guards in that side. Senator Bob Dole was a lieutenant in Al's Company and he was wounded losing the use of his arm forever and shipped out. Al was a 60mm mortar staff sergeant. He was setting up his mortar bent down to grab something on the ground and his best buddy took an 8mm German round dead center in his chest and died in his arms. Al was wounded and he recovered and returned to his unit until the end. Al passed away Oct 23rd, 2009 he was 85 years old here's a pic of Al where he's now resting in Arlington National Cemetery. In the pic here are 2 of my 3 daughters thats around 7 years old but very special to me. Al finally regrouped with all his old Co. I 85th regiment buddies one last time.

Wow what great Americans they all are/were......MY dad did not serve because of an injury but became great friends with Bob Dole in later years & Dole called my dad the Senator lol
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:05:14 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill