Author Topic: Jaxon: Old Country Smokers  (Read 29133 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Jaxon: Old Country Smokers
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
So, is Texas Pit Crafters out of the running?? For your information, the fire-box on them is 3/16 and the smoking chamber is 12 gauge.

Lyfe-Time is a nice pit.......but if you find an Old Country in person that you like the build on....get it and get it quickly...
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »
Sometimes all the metal can be not such a good thing. The thick metal can make pre-heating take longer and when the wind blows across it cooling it more thermal energy is required for it to re-heat.

You obviously do not want it thin metal but really thick gauge is not needed IMHO unless you plan on shooting at it ;)

I think weld quality and how air tight the off-set is very important.

Don't forget that weight can be an issue when you need to move the smoker around.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Weight is an issue and either delivery or support from my son is mandatory. There is no way that I could physically move something like that.

I just returned from a place called Buc ee's. It is the largest gas station ever. Inside is like a market and they sell all kinds of things including smokers. They had an a smoker made by All Seasons Feeders. It is 3/16 of an inch and priced at $695.00. This unit looks like the Pitcrafters with a 24 x 24 firebox. Some of the features of this pit are:

• Wood rack
• 24x24 Fire box
• Air cooled spring handle
• Casters, for easy relocation
• Grease drain and hook for bucket
• Pre-threaded hole for temperature gauge
• Heat transfer shield with adjustable baffles
• Slide out grills and ash trays for easy clean out
• Liquid reservoir evaporator for beer, apple juice or water
• Made of 3/16 Gauge Steel

Here's a few pictures of the All Seasons,

I have to pick up and bring home as they do not deliver. They also have another smoker called the Wilkes BBQ Pit which is 1/4 inch thick and they are priced at $771.00.

I still like the Old Country Wrangler at $500.00. Something about the price and the size is perfect for me. I still would have to add a tuning plate.

i will make my two stops tomorrow and see if they have anything.

Regards,

Ed
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:28:51 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »
I would suggest not adding a tuning plate until after some cooks, ya might not need it............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
Last evening, I am sitting here trying to watch Pirates of the Caribbean - on stranger tides and I am totally frustrated at trying to find a quality wood smoker for $500 to $650.00. I looked at Old Country, Texas Longhorn, Wilkes, Texas Original BBQ Pits, All Seasons, B & R Custom Pits, Texas Pitcrafters, Gator Pits, Klose Pits, Lang, and a few more that I can't remember to mention. I can't find the price and I can't find the quality with fit and finish. except if you want to pay$900.00 plus dollars base price. On top of that there are options that you want such as a thermometer, tuning plate, charcoal grill plate, etc. This adds $150.00 or more to the cost. And, lastly, there is shipping and getting it into my backyard on the patio.

I want to buy something and not have to worry about quality, fit and finish, and whether or not this thing is going to do the job. I want it delivered. I want it to work correctly. I do not want to be sorry about my decision. I am frustrated, I am pissed, and I am angry at myself because the alternatives are narrow and that I will have to settle for less. Even my Golden, looks at me funny and the cat avoids eye contact and gives me a wide berth.

So, last night, at about 11:00 PM, I wrote Don Cary and email and told him that I wanted to order a Yoder Cheyenne with a heat management plate and charcoal grate for the main chamber. Total price is $941.00 plus $110.00 for shipping. Don responded to me this morning at 6:38 AM and we have a deal. Now, I am going to have two Yoders on my patio.

I afraid that I got to the point where I did not want to settle for less after seeing what is on the market. Yes, there are others like Gator and Klose that produce outstanding quality pits, but, they are more expensive and do not have a small Unit like the Cheyenne. Having purchased the Yoder YS 480 in May, and seeing it in operation and the quality of the unit, there is no doubt in my mind that I will be shipped a nice unit. I do not want to live with that doubt if another brand were selected. I like Yoder quality.

So, that is the end of this story. I am over my objective by about $400.00 but, over the long haul (a few years) that would not make a difference anyway.

Here are a few pictures of the Yoder Cheyenne:

So, now at Thanksgiving or Christmas, I can see my self making a turkey on the YS 480 and a brisket on the Cheyenne. Whatever. I probably will alternate usage and for all high heat use the Cheyenne.

I feel much better.

With kind regards,

Ed

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »
I empathize with the gyrations you've been going through! However, that is one very nice looking cooker! There will always be trade-offs in any decision, and you clearly thought yours out before pulling the trigger. While the flat top is probably a good thing for warming the wood - I bet a clever guy could find a work around...  ;) Good for you on getting the cooker you are looking for!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »
You couldn't have made a better choice than a Yoder. Yoder and Horizon are off-shoots of the legendary Oklahoma Joe's outfit.........congratulations.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
Ed, I concur with your decision.  TT brought his Yoder pellet-pooper to Augusta last Fall and when I saw the quality, I Knew they made excellent cookers.

Now that the decision is made...go pet the cat and scratch the dog. 

As for the flat-top for pre-heating wood...dang, you have enuff room in the chamber to put a log IF you want to pre-heat (totally optional).  I have put some wood inside mine right there against the right-hand side.  I don't cook anything on that side anyway.

Can't wait to see what new tricks an "old dog" can do with his new offset.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
Great call Jaxon. Just put your min-splits in the smoking chamber..but not to close to the fire-box side...
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
Well, Capn. you may have just saved my life...I won't do THAT again.

B T W, a couple of weeks ago I ALMOST had a piece of wood catch fire on that flat.  I had to laff because I remembered you warning me about it - or was it Smoke - there were some glowing red spots on the bottom when I got to it.      ;D
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
That was me Jaxon. I had em just burst into flames on me. If you had an electric smoker Jaxon, you could just stack your wood in it and heat em that way.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »
Like I said... a clever fella will find a work around...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 08:32:52 PM »
That's a really nice Yoder, I Think you did your due diligence on finding the right fit for you :) Just been watching as I know nothing about cookin in one of them besides watching Jaxon on his awesome videos :) Congrats!!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »
That Yoder is a beauty!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »
The Yoder Cheyenne ships on June 18th. I would have thought that since it was ordered on June 10th that it would have shipped on Friday. However, one can speculate that these folks are pretty busy people getting a lot of orders out the door or they have to build the unit to get it out the door and have no inventory.

The last time when I ordered the YS 480, it was shipped on a Friday and we received delivery on that next Wednesday which really is not that bad. It came to the house via FedEX truck with a lift gate which I suspect that this will also be true. Then they rolled it up the driveway into the garage. Then I will send for the boys to get it off of the pallet. However, I was thinking that if I put enough 2 x 4's across the pallet, with those big wheels, it might be easier to roll it across the pallet to the edge of the pallet. Then I can step down 2 x 4's to get it on the concrete floor. This sounds very plausible for a 40 year old guy. I can see my self being dragged down the drive way to the street as this thing takes off all 340 lbs. of it. LOL. I should have my wife video tape this.

As a matter of fact, I should look at video taping the receipt of the unit and the unpacking and putting together of the unit. And then the break in process. I have to figure out how to use that video camera again.

Regards,

Ed