Author Topic: Country Style Ribs on the Yoder Cheyenne  (Read 3843 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Country Style Ribs on the Yoder Cheyenne
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »
Well, in order to rebuild my confidence for my recent pizza disaster, I put pork Country Style Ribs on the wood smoker today that I have had marinating in my home made rub for two days. I have had them on for two hours and then moved them to an aluminum baking pan, sprinkled them with brown sugar and put on a layer of honey. They have been covered for about an hour now. At the same time, I wrapped four nice ears of sweet corn with big dabs of butter in tin foil and placed them also on the grill. The nice thing about the sweet corn, is that they only cost $0.17 per ear from Walmart.

What is nice, is that I was able to fire up the smoker today with the intention of maintaining a temperature of 225 degrees for the duration of the cook. With a moderate air flow and a hot coal fire and few nice logs, I have been able to meet this objective. Lately, I have been cooking at the 250 degree level and the smoker seems very happy dialed into that point. i do like to run at 225 and cook at a lower temperature and a little slower. I wonder how a pizza dough would do in the wood smoker. Interesting thought. I could crank up the wood to 275 or 300 degrees and indirectly heat that dough up. Whatever.

I will touch base with you guys later. Film at 11 with a guest appearance by my soux chef and general manager of the household.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:42:12 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Country Style Ribs on the Yoder Cheyenne
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
What part of the unicorn do you cut country style from?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
The sphincter!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Sounds like a good cook - looking forward to the results!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »
We had a very nice dinner this evening and had some friends over who were here last night and survived the pizza disaster. So this evening we had some nice and moist country style ribs. I have regained my confidence in smoking.

The ribs looked so good off of the grill sitting in their own sauce we just started to eat. The corn was excellent and my wife picked up cole slaw to add to the meal. As a precursor we had chips with pico de gallo.

Here's a short video.

Ed

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:40:18 PM »
Nice job, Ed!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
I sure like your videos VOD. If I didn't know better, I would think you have ran a stick burner for years. IMHO, you fire it up the right way and you seem to be controlling the fire, instead of it controlling you. Jaxon is another relatively new stick burner owner that is doing it the right way as well. Contrats to both of you. Now if I could just get mine and have a refresher course cook or two and I will be right with you guys.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:01:11 AM »
I sure like your videos VOD. If I didn't know better, I would think you have ran a stick burner for years. IMHO, you fire it up the right way and you seem to be controlling the fire, instead of it controlling you. Jaxon is another relatively new stick burner owner that is doing it the right way as well. Contrats to both of you. Now if I could just get mine and have a refresher course cook or two and I will be right with you guys.....

I think that what Jaxon and I like the most is that this is fun. It represents a challenge to do it correctly and have a good result. And, when we get the result we are hopeful for, we are gratified. That means a lot. Operating the Weber is a little less challenging, and the pellet smoker is a no brainer as long as you monitor internal temperature. But, it does have a great place in the list of outdoor smoker alternatives especially on long runs and football games.

Tomorrow is pellet smoker day for a small brisket. I have been marinating this little cut of beef for 3 days and then I am going to inject it with the marinade and let the smoker do the rest. I will have used all three smokers on Labor Day Weekend. Nice!

Can't walk, but I can crawl.

Ed

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
Take care of yourself Ed. Good Luck with the briskie.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Looks great Ed!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS