Author Topic: Custom Smoker Jigsaw Puzzle  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Custom Smoker Jigsaw Puzzle
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
Great looking Bird, What exactly is Post Oak, I've come up with Piece of sit tree but don't think that's right :)

Post oak is a small tree that is part of the white oak family (hard and tough wood).  It is called post oak because of its use for fence posts.
Thank you for the explanation :)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
Chris - the bird is a beautiful cook. I am glad you are having fun with the new pit.  We would love as much info as you can tell about it. Your design? Or are their plans available?
Reverse flow? - etc…

Really a great looking pit too - I am anxious to see ribs coming off that thing!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
It was my design.  Of course, a few things are shigged (or at least partially) from other designs.  It is not reverse flow.  There are 6 various width tuning plates (in a row, they cover about 2/3 of the channel).  For this cook, the widest plate was to the far right with 4 of the others stacked on top of it.  One short one was left over and put to the left.  In the firebox, you have a charcoal basket (fits on top of a rack in the vertical when not in use), ash tray and removable log lighter along with the log rack.  Dampers are set up so that the bottom two are used with the log rack and the top one with the charcoal box.  In the top of the firebox are a removable grilling grate and an isolation plate/cooking steel.  The steel comes out to use the grill grate, and the grill grate comes out to cook on the steel.  Otherwise, they just stay there and make things even more efficient.  My favorite part of the firebox is the stainless lid.  Instead of peeling lid paint (and having to repaint or season it all the time) and tearing it up with your preheating splits, I went stainless.  Besides, it looks so cool!  For the rack area, you have ample storage for the propane for the log lighter along with plenty of splits.  Both chambers have drip spouts with ball vales and buckets.  Hard to see in the pictures, but there is a spring lever controlled plate between the main chamber and the vertical to control how much if any heat goes through to the warming box.  Of course, you have the full length work shelf.  Between the wagon wheels and casters movement on a hard surface is manageable by one.  Honestly though, I can not even get the firebox side off the ground dead lifting the lift bar.  It took three of us (all pretty strong men) to get it from truck to patio using plywood planks to roll it on.  The vertical chamber has a skewered rod and a hanging rod hanging in the top along with three removable cooking grates and a water/drip pan that fits in the same slots as any of the grates so they can be moved around interchangeably.  The vertical can also be used as a charcoal smoker.  I have a 14"x6" charcoal ring (not pictured) that can be banked up against the right wall on a rack in the bottom slot.  Enough draft is created from the air pulled into the vertical from the main chamber.  Probes for the vertical can be ran down through the exhaust.  Main chamber has two removable cooking racks, the aforementioned tuning plates and two removable water/drip pans in the channel.  The top half of the main is 1/2 octagon, while the channel half is 1/2 rectangular.  Probes to the main can be fed under the lid (the gasket creates just enough buffer to keep from crimping).  Separate exhausts (opened and closed with spring lever plates just like the one between the chambers) can be fine tuned to the chamber config.  For example, when running WFO to the vertical, the main exhaust is closed so that all air drafts fully through the vertical exhaust.  When the vertical is closed off, the main exhaust is opened to draft.  Of course a little drafts from both no matter what you do.  They are not meant to be air tight.  Thermometers in both boxes.  Cool touch handles along with a hollow stainless (also can be grabbed with bare hands) handle for the main lid.  Rod on the back is for hanging whatever (works great for Maverick 732s.  All 1/4" steel or 1/4" stainless design.  All doors and lids are gasketed.  Final dimensions are 91W, 76H, 31D.  That includes tip outs for exhausts and work shelf.  Weight is between 1300 and 1400 lbs.  I think that is all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:07:38 PM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
Great looking Bird, What exactly is Post Oak, I've come up with Piece of sit tree but don't think that's right :)

Post oak is a small tree that is part of the white oak family (hard and tough wood).  It is called post oak because of its use for fence posts.
Thank you for the explanation :)

It also gives off some good heat as well
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32