Author Topic: heh, where's this meadow creek sq36 smoke?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
heh, where's this meadow creek sq36 smoke?
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »
you've had this thing for over 2 weeks now and i haven't seen many cooks buddy.  we have cut you enough slack.  lets see this thing in person.  was that chicken pic you took touched up?  that chicken looked evenly cooked over the entire grill.  butts, cooks some butts.   how are you able to fix the leak by the tire?  i was surprised to see the paint peel off the fire box so soon.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: heh, where's this meadow creek sq36 smoke?
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:10:45 AM »
Go get him Sparky.  I think Smoke and Tee are having a contest to see who can keep their new pits clean the longest.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »
 :) :)   Lets see: it was delivered last Wednesday.  I grilled steaks in it Thursday. I learned the fire-box part on Friday. I did the chicken thighs on Saturday. I did the Wolfes Pepper Stout Beef on Sunday...........and then I had to go back to work. This weekend I go to start decorating for Christmas. I got three various Dr. and Dentist appointments next week.................so..........................

I vote we start picking on Tee and his Rec Tec........ :D ;D :D ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
Since the other thread isn't open to comments... Why didn't you take them up on sending out a mobile welder for that leak?  You're only going to get one chance to make it right, and I'd hate to see a temp fix go bad later.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

heh, where's this meadow creek sq36 smoke?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »
I don't think Smoochy is pulling his weight. Smoke obviously needs an administrative assistant
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
Actually, from what I have seen of the review to date, the results are quite impressive. Considering some minor glitches that can be easily be repaired, the unit seems to be well designed for heat distribution and produces excellent results.

Even my Yoder offset has a small spot of peeling on the fire box that can be easily remedied. I intend to use my dremel to sand the edges smooth and apply paint. If that does not work, then I will use the advice from Meadow Creek and seal it with peanut oil. The only thing that I did different when I broke in the unit, is that I liberally applied peanut oil using a sponge inside and outside of the smoker on all surfaces before I lit it up. I think that helped to keep the paint in most of the places.

One thing you might consider but it is up to your discretion, is placing a gasket around the lid to the smoker. This may help to keep more heat within the unit during colder temperatures. I also recently purchased a 4 x 6 welders blanket from Amazon to use in colder weather for $20.00. I do not know how cold it gets over there, but it does go into the 40's for a couple of months here in the San Antonio area.

I think that you have an excellent unit that will produce wonderful food for you for many years.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »
Since the other thread isn't open to comments... Why didn't you take them up on sending out a mobile welder for that leak?  You're only going to get one chance to make it right, and I'd hate to see a temp fix go bad later.

I figure that Meadow Creek for some reason does not weld the inside part of the fire-box to the smoking chamber. I don't want some local yahoo working on my pit.

In the future I am going to use a pan with water anyhows that will sit on top of the diffuser and get nice and hot and will steam real good.  So I will get a moister environment and that will end the leak problem. I was told that the heat diffuser is not completely welded to the bottom of the smoking chamber due to the fact it could warp. The JB Weld will hold up fine and will never be seen.

I will keep everyone posted to see if this works.......oh and I was told if my fix does not work, I can have a welder out anytime I want...just send them the bill...that will be my last resort.......... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
Got it.  I may have misread.  I thought they missed a weld as opposed to intentionally not welding something.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
High temp paint on fireboxes fails because of differential expansion , doesn't matter what temp the paint is rated for!
I keep a can of spray canola to fix any paint issues on my wood burner!
at hunt camp we just enjoy the rust knowing that the grill made of 3/8 steel will outlive us all!
If you think the pits you'll buy aren't perfect come down & cook on our homemade pit ::)
We've made lots of fixes , & in the end it's a fine cooker! But it took some work between finished cooker & a good cooker 8)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
I had a buddy that would purposely not take care of his fire-box. He would just keep it oiled. As long as it aint rusty it doesn't really matter how it looks..he would tell me.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven