Author Topic: Southern Cal Firewood  (Read 3487 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Southern Cal Firewood
« Reply #-1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:28:45 AM »
So you buy a stickburner and you don't have any sticks.  :(    Yup, I did that.......not too smart.  I had some small minisplits that just got gobbled up.

I am now out of wood

I got this purdy 250 lb lady on the patio and I can't dance with her.......what to do.....what to do.............

I got it, go on line, you can get anything on line. Wow, Southern Cal is full of firewood places  :)

But:

they are far away
they don't deliver to residences
they don't answer the phone
they don't call you back
the prices are insanely high

Dang, So-Cal is no place to get cooking wood....................

then I found Southern Cal Firewood and my problems are solved.

Great prices
he calls you back when you leave a message
Great selection of cooking woods (log,chunk,chip) firewood
and.......he delivers :) :)

We had a delivery window set up yesterday, he was gonna be a tad bit late and gave me a call.

Before we unloaded the bags, he checked out my off-set to make sure this is the wood I need.

Now that is customer service.

The bags are strong and clean.

The wood is some of the best I have ever used.

If you live in So-Cal, ya gotta give this guy a call:  mike  888-954-1888

info@southerncalfirewood.com
www.southerncalfirewood.com
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:34:45 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Southern Cal Firewood
« on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »
That is great Smoke.  Bags?  Is he doing 12" or 18" splits ?  You need to get a rack.  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
How many mini splits will fit in the hopper of my Memphis? :P

Thanks for the info Scott. If I ever get a stick burner and need some he will be the first call ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »
His cooking logs are 14-16 inches in length and are 3-4 inches in diameter. He also has peach wood which is really rare here in So-Cal but I like pecan a bit better. I did a trial run last night with one split and I had a steady burn from 240-225 for 1.5 hours. The smell of this pecan is really nice.

I was going to get a log rack but that would become black widow central. Mike says that his log bags breath so there is no need for a rack.

Look how clean his bags are, this is first class outfit and I am glad I found him  :)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

Southern Cal Firewood
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
Bagged wood looks top rate. Love good product and service
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »
Good wood and good service!

Can't beat that. I have to go to the market to get my wood and put it in the Jeep.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
Glad you found someone who is doing short splits.  Luckily, I can fit 18" splits in my firebox.  It is hard to get anyone to do shorter without charging extra.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
I took a look at his site - wow! I wish there was someone like this around here.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
that's a lot of wood and charcoal buddy.  i'm liking your sq-36.  did I read somewhere that you fixed the leak?  where was the post at?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
that's a lot of wood and charcoal buddy.  i'm liking your sq-36.  did I read somewhere that you fixed the leak?  where was the post at?

In the last post of the product review Spark......I found the leak. I can gonna smoke today and fix it tomorrow night.....should be ready for the Thanksgiving Holiday  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »

In the last post of the product review Spark......I found the leak. I can gonna smoke today and fix it tomorrow night.....should be ready for the Thanksgiving Holiday  ;)

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=6521.15

Sparky, think this is it. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
I must have got some good vibes from you Scott.  I have been looking for a new wood guy since I moved in June (about 25 miles east of where I was at).  I had enough to get me through for a while once I got the new smoker, but I was down to maybe 25 splits (all pretty large ones that need re-split).  Like you, I was getting flakes, jerks and overpriced operations that acted like they were doing YOU a favor if they even called you back.  I ended up finding a guy that was willing to deliver residential and had multiple wood types available (post, white, red, blackjack, pecan, mesquite, hickory and sometimes fruits.  I called him this morning to schedule a delivery of 1/4 cord (others weren't willing to deliver anything less than 1/2).  I asked if he could mix me up some post and pecan.  He said no problem that he would do mix and match of as many types as he had in stock.  I was expecting to schedule him for sometime next week with the holiday.  He asked if I was OK with delivery today.  Uh, yeah!  Good excuse to skip out of work early.  I told the kids to get their gloves on because he would just be dropping the load.  1st thing he asked was where my rack was, and he started helping me stack.  Add to all of this that he was the cheapest of all the places I called (even though he is about 30 miles away) and one of the nicest folks I have met in a long time.  He said he would call me whenever he would be in my area of DFW so that if I just needed a bag of something he could stop by with it and I wouldn't have to get a big load.  Thanks for the good Karma Smoke.

Offline Pappymn

Southern Cal Firewood
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »
Great story SB. sounds old school.....the best school
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Good Karma is a very wonderful thing to have. Beats the Hell out of bad Karma for sure.....

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:37:36 PM »
I must have got some good vibes from you Scott.  I have been looking for a new wood guy since I moved in June (about 25 miles east of where I was at).  I had enough to get me through for a while once I got the new smoker, but I was down to maybe 25 splits (all pretty large ones that need re-split).  Like you, I was getting flakes, jerks and overpriced operations that acted like they were doing YOU a favor if they even called you back.  I ended up finding a guy that was willing to deliver residential and had multiple wood types available (post, white, red, blackjack, pecan, mesquite, hickory and sometimes fruits.  I called him this morning to schedule a delivery of 1/4 cord (others weren't willing to deliver anything less than 1/2).  I asked if he could mix me up some post and pecan.  He said no problem that he would do mix and match of as many types as he had in stock.  I was expecting to schedule him for sometime next week with the holiday.  He asked if I was OK with delivery today.  Uh, yeah!  Good excuse to skip out of work early.  I told the kids to get their gloves on because he would just be dropping the load.  1st thing he asked was where my rack was, and he started helping me stack.  Add to all of this that he was the cheapest of all the places I called (even though he is about 30 miles away) and one of the nicest folks I have met in a long time.  He said he would call me whenever he would be in my area of DFW so that if I just needed a bag of something he could stop by with it and I wouldn't have to get a big load.  Thanks for the good Karma Smoke.

That is just great to hear  :)  Our neighborhoods are gonna be smelling good throughout the Holidays and then some......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven