Author Topic: Save of the year for me...  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Jaxon

Save of the year for me...
« Reply #-1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
Yesterday was a tough one!
Deb had brought home what I thought was a big rack of spares....turns out there were 3 big 'uns in that pack...I double checked and saw she paid about $37 for 'em.  Okay, I've done trips before.  How do I get a small hot fire without lots of smoke?  Sent a PM to Smokeasaurus and he sent me a rapid response.  I was looking to do 2 racks in the Old Country Pecos and one in the Weber Kettle with the new SMOKENATOR Deb also brought home...yes, the SMOKENATOR!!!!!  That'll take a whole nuther post, but let me say, it works as advertised and I'm gonna be usin' it a LOT!  Thank you, Deb!
SO...I was cookin' along real steady following Smoke's instructions until the 15 to 20 mph winds kicked in.  After that, there wasn't much I could do to keep the fire.  The backdraft kept pushing the fire and smoke back into the chamber and even back thru the firebox.  By the time, I foiled the ribs, they already has that creosote taste.  I finished 'em off in foil, etc and they LOOKED real good.  However, I took 'em off too soon and they were still tough.  PLUS...That taste was awful and I was sick knowing that was $37 in the trash.  Well, I didn't want to tell Deb they were trash, so I wrapped 'em and put 'em in the fridge thinking I would save 'em till Dee and Don came back ( they'll eat any of my food and tell me how great it is).  I was still burned about it when I went to bed.
As I was thinkin' about it, the idea came to me..."rinse of all the rub and see if that makes a difference."  So, this morning, I rinsed them thoroughly in hot water, removing as much of the rub as I could.  Then I put them on a rack inside a large foil pan and added enough apple cider so as not to get 'em wet.  Then I sealed the pan and put it in the over @ 275 for a couple of hours.
Well, well, well... when I took 'em out they were tender as my heart AND there was NONE of the creosote taste whatsoever.  Deb was ecstatic and I was very thankful that we had saved, not only $37, but all those ribs which now taste so good.
The reason I'm sharing this is not because I am so schmart, but I had this idea come to me and I figgered, "if it doesn't work, what the heck...they're gone anyway."  But it DID work.
This cook also opens a can or two of worms...
1.  If rinsing off all the rub took away the creosote taste, does that mean none of it penetrated the meat?  If the Creosote didn't' penetrate, does the smoke?  OR, is it contained in the layer of rub?  I don't know the answer.  Y'all know I'm no rocket surgeon when it comes to smokin'. 
2.  If finishing them off in that big foil pan in the oven worked so well...why am I killin' myself keepin' the smoker goin' for an extra                       2 hours to finish them therein?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:55:53 PM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Save of the year for me...
« on: December 07, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »
Nice Save Jaxon !!!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
What a great save on those ribs. After about two hours I figure the meat has had enough smoke so going to foil and to the oven aint gonna hurt nothing.

When you use a stick burner and the winds come up, it kinda makes you wanna do this:

Other than that cursed wind, did my method work well for you?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
Nice recovery. It is good to have people to ask for advice on the many issues of smoking food. Like you, I have learned so much about BBQ and smoking food from the folks on this web site than anywhere else. Stuff that you cannot read in books. The Smoke Man sure has lots of tricks up his sleave and his techniques have provided likes of guidance for me.

Glad that you saved the day. I would have been just as upset if I knew that $37.00 worth of meat had gone to waste. Just for information, but my way of cooking the ribs on a regular basis is very similar to what you just did. I smoke the ribs for 2 hours on the smoker with a water pan, then I transfer everything to an aluminum baking pan, cover them with brown sugar, butter and apple juice. Then I cover the whole pan with tin foil and return the pan to the smoker for 2 to 3 hours. This produces a fall off the bone rib and very tender meat which is the way that my wife likes them and me too.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »
Jax, it’s been awhile glad to see you back. The way I see your story is a little different than the way you tell it.

You knew that you weren’t going to have ribs until the next day. So you cooked them to a point to where you only had to cook them for a couple more hours and you wanted them to absorb all of that great rub overnight. So, once they were at the point that you only needed a couple of hours to cook you pulled them, left the seasoning on, foiled, fridge until you were ready for the next day.

you are brilliant, I tell you just brilliant
Love to cook and eat

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »

Other than that cursed wind, did my method work well for you?

Smoke, your method was workin' very well...I was tellin' Deb that this would really help me control the fire and smoke.  I'll be doin' it that way henceforth.

Moral of the story is this:  if there is too much "bad smoke" taste...rinse  'em off and warm 'em up again.  That taste HAD to be held on by the rub.

B T W, we vacuum sealed 'em and froze...will add sauce when we reheat 'em. (probalby when Dee & Don get here)(they'll love 'em)
<><

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
Good save Jack. I have only had creosote ribs a couple of time and I just trashed them. Will try this next time. 
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
Nice save Jaxon - and good advice Smoke!

The rub probably held most of the smoke taste - but jus thte moisture on the outer part of the ribs likely held some as well. Rinsing, and re-heating with moisture like you did is a smart way to save a cook!

Good Job!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »
Excellent save on the ribs Jack! Glad to see you back on here, it's been awhile!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
Jaxon wrote
"1.  If rinsing off all the rub took away the creosote taste, does that mean none of it penetrated the meat?  If the Creosote didn't' penetrate, does the smoke?  OR, is it contained in the layer of rub?  I don't know the answer.  Y'all know I'm no rocket surgeon when it comes to smokin'. 
2.  If finishing them off in that big foil pan in the oven worked so well...why am I killin' myself keepin' the smoker goin' for an extra                       2 hours to finish them therein?"

1) much of the creosote is a particulate matter & doesn't penetrate .
2) once you foil I use my gasser of an oven to finish.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:52:15 PM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
OK, Lost Arrow got me confused  ???  Maybe the rub did penetrate the meat and the top layer of bark took on the creosote flavor? But the bark should not wash off in a gentle rinse..................I say we all head over to Jaxon's and give this a retry.. ;)

As long as Jaxon springs for the ribs...... ;D

Seriously, whatever happened he has shown us a real neat method of saving supper  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »
I don't know science...

I just figgered I'd take a chance.

A couple of years ago, I would have never thought of this.  Hangin' out with y'all has increased my BBQ IQ.

Now that I've upped mine, up yours...You can too if you follow this forum.
<><

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 09:02:23 PM »
Now that I've upped mine, up yours...You can too if you follow this forum.

Now that could be a slogan for us…but - I am not sure first time readers would understand the intended context! :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 01:14:16 AM »
Great save Jaxon!!! 

And the best part...

Quote from: Jaxon
Well, well, well... when I took 'em out they were tender as my heart...
that's pretty tender!  :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
Way to go!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS