Author Topic: Traeger Controler/Timer  (Read 4529 times)

Offline eggyoak

Traeger Controler/Timer
« Reply #-1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »
I'm looking to use a PID controller on my traeger and was wondering if anyone on here has used one of the Auber  WSD-1204CPH (Dual-Probe PID Controller for Bradley Smoker) on there Traeger. My ultimate goal with this would be to use a dual probe design and be able to run the smoker then turn down the temp to a "warm" temp once the internal temp of the meat has reached the programed temp. I see that everyone has made PID controllers to ramp up and ramp down the temp of there smokers but i haven't found anyone that is using this type to controller to turn off or turn down the smoker once the meat is done. Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Traeger Controler/Timer
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:06:28 PM »
eggyoak - I am sure your will get some folks that can help you with this...Please post your introduction in the New Members section.  A bit of familiarity can go a long ways  in getting responses ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »
Many of us on this Forum have used an Auber controller on their Bradleys and we have also modified pellet grills with Auber PID controllers.  It would really help to know what kind of Traeger you have since it makes a big difference.

There is a wealth of knowledge here to be share and we have a multitude of members who have modified units with a PID.  One who come to mind is muebe but I don't want to insult anyone and leave anyone out so I'll stop with the names.

I'm sure the big boys will chime in soon to help but like I said - they need to know what kind of pit you're using, etc.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline eggyoak

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:36:40 PM »
Many of us on this Forum have used an Auber controller on their Bradleys and we have also modified pellet grills with Auber PID controllers.  It would really help to know what kind of Traeger you have since it makes a big difference.

There is a wealth of knowledge here to be share and we have a multitude of members who have modified units with a PID.  One who come to mind is muebe but I don't want to insult anyone and leave anyone out so I'll stop with the names.

I'm sure the big boys will chime in soon to help but like I said - they need to know what kind of pit you're using, etc.

I have a Traeger Lil Tex with the digital 225 degree controller.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:17:47 PM »
The Lil Tex like the Traeger PTG that I modified with a PID can be a bugger because of it's smaller size.  In my humble opinion, the smaller the unit the harder it is to control.  I'm almost positive that muebe modified a Lil Tex with a PID.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
I have actually tried this. It works but it also doesn't.

The problem is that the dual probe Auber does not have a OUTL setting. So as soon as the temperature reaches setpoint or goes above setpoint it stops powering the heating element. So when you hook it up to a pellet grill and the auger stops feeding pellets to burn pot for a sustained amount of time you get flameouts and huge out of control temp swings as it tries to recover.

If it had a OUTL setting then it would work. You could contact Auberins and see if they have that style model with a OUTL setting otherwise it won't work.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline eggyoak

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
I have actually tried this. It works but it also doesn't.

The problem is that the dual probe Auber does not have a OUTL setting. So as soon as the temperature reaches setpoint or goes above setpoint it stops powering the heating element. So when you hook it up to a pellet grill and the auger stops feeding pellets to burn pot for a sustained amount of time you get flameouts and huge out of control temp swings as it tries to recover.

If it had a OUTL setting then it would work. You could contact Auberins and see if they have that style model with a OUTL setting otherwise it won't work.

Thanks for the info what are the other options to get the same type of results?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:00:15 AM »
If you are looking to build a PID controller for your Traeger yourself then you will need this...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=237

And the temp probe...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=101

You can also get Molex connectors from Radio Shack so you can just wire up the PID and then plug it into the existing connectors on your Traeger.

Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline BAM1

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 02:05:25 AM »
If you're looking for a PID type controller for your Traeger you really should look at the "Savannah Stoker".  I've been running one on my 075 Texas model for quite some time and it's accuracy is unbelievable, almost like watching my Auberins cycle my Bradley on/off.  Check them out.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
The Savannah Stoker was developed first for the Treagers. So - I would think it will solve the problem.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
The Savannah Stoker was developed first for the Treagers. So - I would think it will solve the problem.

I have a Stoker II on my PTG and it works really good!

Are they still on back order or have they been shipping?

I guess there was such a demand for them that they could not keep up.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 12:08:35 AM »
Not sure...have not heard from Billy in a while. I think Hub has been in touch with him. Should probably PM Hub and ask-
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
Not sure...have not heard from Billy in a while. I think Hub has been in touch with him. Should probably PM Hub and ask-

Billy tells me he's having a real production problem with the software/hardware "integration".  And, I know what he's talking about.  It will be solved because he's hell-bent to get it right instead of delivering junk and I appreciate that philosophy.  I'm still cooking on my NOS American Traeger with the 225 "outofcontroller" and will upgrade it once he gets the problem fixed.  Please be patient.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN