Author Topic: Anyone tried Peterson pucks?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
Anyone tried Peterson pucks?
« Reply #-1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
I saw a post somewhere about pucks made by someone other than Bradley and was wondering if anyone has experience with them.  Apparently they are a little too big for the puck feeder but are suppose to last a lot longer so they are put in manually.  They also work in a chip box.
http://www.petersonpucks.com
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline rexster314

Re: Anyone tried Peterson pucks?
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:20:28 PM »
SOooooo. Every 20 minutes or so you open the Bradley up, knock off the spent Peterson puck and place another one on the puck burner?
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »
SOooooo. Every 20 minutes or so you open the Bradley up, knock off the spent Peterson puck and place another one on the puck burner?
That kind of defeats the purpose of an automatic puck feed. I would (and do a lot) just use an amazn smoker tube if I didn't want to use Bradley pucks
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:11:01 AM »

No. Watch the video on his website.  You load up four at a time, and it looks like they would work pretty well.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:39 AM »

Wellllll, they reportedly will last an hour a piece and cost half of what Bradley's cost.  That's why I was asking.  I would find that worth a try if it were true.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

Wellllll, they reportedly will last an hour a piece and cost half of what Bradley's cost.  That's why I was asking.  I would find that worth a try if it were true.
From the info on the Bradley forum, they last longer but don't fit thru the smoke generator so you have to manually place them and remove them. (Not sure how old the data is, but that is the latest I could find.)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

From the info on the Bradley forum, they last longer but don't fit thru the smoke generator so you have to manually place them and remove them. (Not sure how old the data is, but that is the latest I could find.)

Yup.  I know they don't fit in the puck feeder but I get into the OBS at least once an hour so I wouldn't mind hand feeding.  The other advantage to hand feeding is that I know that it happens which I don't with Bradley's feeder.  Sometimes it feeds and sometimes it doesn't.  I've repaired it twice.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »

Yup.  I know they don't fit in the puck feeder but I get into the OBS at least once an hour so I wouldn't mind hand feeding.  The other advantage to hand feeding is that I know that it happens which I don't with Bradley's feeder.  Sometimes it feeds and sometimes it doesn't.  I've repaired it twice.

Have you compared the cost of using an Amazin smoke tube to the peterson pucks?

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
I tried pederson pucks and did not like them. They are more of a compressed wood dust and not compressed wood chips like bradleys. When I purchased the pederson pucks I was told they worked in the bradley smoker. I would go with an amazin smoker and pellets.

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »
I tried pederson pucks and did not like them. They are more of a compressed wood dust and not compressed wood chips like bradleys. When I purchased the pederson pucks I was told they worked in the bradley smoker. I would go with an amazin smoker and pellets.

Great feedback.  That's what I was looking for.  Thank you, Keymaster.  We'll be moving on now.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
Been using the AMNPS for over 2 years now and have not burned one puck in the Bradley since switching.  As far as I am concerned they can quit making the pucks.  The Bradley pucks are expensive and the 140 pack are hard to come by.  A 20 pound bag of pellets costs less than a 140 pack of pucks and will last you well over a year doing 3 smokes a week.  Just sayin  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »
I may have my Uncle make up some reusable metal pucks that can be loaded with pellets. He is a really good machinist and can make up some prototypes.

I can give him a bubba puck and let him go to work ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
Been using the AMNPS for over 2 years now and have not burned one puck in the Bradley since switching.  As far as I am concerned they can quit making the pucks.  The Bradley pucks are expensive and the 140 pack are hard to come by. A 20 pound bag of pellets costs less than a 140 pack of pucks and will last you well over a year doing 3 smokes a week.  Just sayin  ;D

That's good to know, I just got mine and plan on using it quite often.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »
I may have my Uncle make up some reusable metal pucks that can be loaded with pellets. He is a really good machinist and can make up some prototypes.

You may be onto something there Mike!....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »

You may be onto something there Mike!....

Step back a minute. So you make a bunch of pucks that can be loaded with pellets? What are you going to do with them? put them in Bradley puck feeder and have them feed every 20 minutes? Do them manually?  Wouldn't it be easier to just use an Amazn smoker tube?
Just thinking.