Author Topic: Anyone tried Peterson pucks?  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Anyone tried Peterson pucks?
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
I may have my Uncle make up some reusable metal pucks that can be loaded with pellets. He is a really good machinist and can make up some prototypes.

I can give him a bubba puck and let him go to work ;)

You may be onto something there Mike!....

Step back a minute. So you make a bunch of pucks that can be loaded with pellets? What are you going to do with them? put them in Bradley puck feeder and have them feed every 20 minutes? Do them manually?  Wouldn't it be easier to just use an Amazn smoker tube?
Just thinking.
I'm thinking the rings would be stacked just like pucks in the tube feeder and filled with pellets. I see a whole bunch of jamming going on. It may work with Sawdust chips. 

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
I may have my Uncle make up some reusable metal pucks that can be loaded with pellets. He is a really good machinist and can make up some prototypes.

I can give him a bubba puck and let him go to work ;)

You may be onto something there Mike!....

Step back a minute. So you make a bunch of pucks that can be loaded with pellets? What are you going to do with them? put them in Bradley puck feeder and have them feed every 20 minutes? Do them manually?  Wouldn't it be easier to just use an Amazn smoker tube?
Just thinking.

Gus I like being able to control the amount of smoke using the pucks. I know 3 pucks give me exactly one hour. So I can set my PID to turn on my convection fan right after the smoke is done ;)

And yes... I picture removable tops on hollow metal pucks that can be filled with pellets to use in the Bradley puck feeder.

The Bradley design I have allows for great cold smoking while using the smoke generator.

And my uncle lives for this stuff. You give him something like this and he will figure it out and machine it. He is crazy! They will probably be made of Titanium :D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
"And yes... I picture removable tops on hollow metal pucks that can be filled with pellets to use in the Bradley puck feeder."

Now that I think of it....I will bet there are "lozenge tins"  that are metal, and about the right diameter...If you can find some that are the right size....and you drill a couple of holes in the top, and one really small one down low on the side.... and you load up 8 or 10 of them.....might be the ticket ....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
"And yes... I picture removable tops on hollow metal pucks that can be filled with pellets to use in the Bradley puck feeder."

Now that I think of it....I will bet there are "lozenge tins"  that are metal, and about the right diameter...If you can find some that are the right size....and you drill a couple of holes in the top, and one really small one down low on the side.... and you load up 8 or 10 of them.....might be the ticket ....

That's not a bad idea as long as you can sand blast or burn off all the paint or coatings inside and out.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »
Yeah...But we are back to an argument that i have used before...Since the product ( the tin) was never intended to be "food safe" interns of heating....will it off gas anything? I don't know.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »
Time to take my bubba puck with me and start sizing up lozenge containers  :D
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
Seems like a bubba puck with the inside milled out to create a cup would work without a lid if you made sure there were no pellets sticking up. The only thing I see as a potential problem is the 20 minute puck cycle possibly not being enough time to heat up the container enough to start the pellet's smoking before it get's dumped in the water.

I think I would just stick with Bradley pucks or the AMZN Tubes. Cabela's has the 120 puck packs back in stock on a regular basis and if you watch for sales it's only 90 cents an hour to smoke with the original.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
Seems like a bubba puck with the inside milled out to create a cup would work without a lid if you made sure there were no pellets sticking up. The only thing I see as a potential problem is the 20 minute puck cycle possibly not being enough time to heat up the container enough to start the pellet's smoking before it get's dumped in the water.

I think I would just stick with Bradley pucks or the AMZN Tubes. Cabela's has the 120 puck packs back in stock on a regular basis and if you watch for sales it's only 90 cents an hour to smoke with the original.

The metal on the bottom would not be thick so I am sure it would transmit the heat. The top would be steel mesh. I am also leaning toward used steel mesh on the top and bottom with a solid metal rim. Top can be lifted off and filled with pellets or chips or dust. Then you could stack them into the puck feeder just like a regular puck.

Heck you don't know how it will work until you actually try ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »
No great solution ever happened until someone tried it, so go for it and post the progress I love R & D

Offline KyNola

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
I have absolutely no dog in this fight  but before doing anything else I would place some pellets on the puck burner plate of the Bradley, set a timer for 20 minutes and see how complete the pellets burn within the 20 minute window.  If you are going to stack a number of the pellet holders in the feeder tube they are going to be cycled off of the burner plate every 20 minutes.  It is possible you may have a bunch of half burnt pellets in the water bowl.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
I have absolutely no dog in this fight  but before doing anything else I would place some pellets on the puck burner plate of the Bradley, set a timer for 20 minutes and see how complete the pellets burn within the 20 minute window.  If you are going to stack a number of the pellet holders in the feeder tube they are going to be cycled off of the burner plate every 20 minutes.  It is possible you may have a bunch of half burnt pellets in the water bowl.

You have a point KyNola. That may well be the case. Won't know until I try.

But I have felt that the spent Bradley pucks are not burned completely also.

So the question will be will they produce enough smoke to be worth it? We shall see ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC