Author Topic: 10 hours and 363 miles in the saddle  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
10 hours and 363 miles in the saddle
« Reply #-1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:20:30 AM »
Today Mrs. LVC had the day off from work so we took a nice long ride on the Harley. Our adventure started at 10:00am, right after a friend (co-worker) up here agreed to come take our dog to his house to watch while we were gone all day, we owe them a dinner.

We traveled north to Bear Lake Utah and what a beautiful scenic ride that was up there and around the lake, we have decided that this will be another destination for us to stay once she retires and we escape the summer heat of Vegas during Jul/Aug.

After that we continued north to Montpelier Idaho for a gas stop and a quick snack. Then it was south down to Evanston Wyoming for another gas stop and a quick snack. At this time we had to make a decision to take the faster interstate route into Park City or the slower scenic route through the Wasatch National Forest into Park City. We were losing time and daylight so we opted for the interstate route that got us into Park City quicker.

We had dinner at the Wastach Brewery on Main Street in the historic distric of Park City. I had a killer burger that was one of the best grilled burgers I have ever eaten and she had a mac n cheese plate with bacon and jalapeños. Of course we had some adult beverages to go with our meal, I had a jalapeño cream ale to start with and then finished with a casked conditioned chocolate stout and she had a Provo Girl Pilsner.

After that it was back in the saddle for the short, 40 minute, ride back into Salt lake City. It was the most brutal part of the ride because we were heading west on I-80 right into the setting sun. But we made it back to the campground and enjoying a few more adult beverages at the campground.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: 10 hours and 363 miles in the saddle
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:04:33 AM »
That jalapeño creamed ale sounds good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:08:45 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a great day.  If I remember right Park City is about 10,000 foot elevation ... the air gets a little thin up there. 

I don't suppose you got a chance to visit the Olympic ski jumping and bobsled training facilities ... it's where they held some of the winter olympics events.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:13:27 AM »
Sounds wonderful Ralph and Mrs. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:53:57 AM »
Yeah, that's a great day Ralph! Lots of great scenery up there!  8)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
That jalapeño creamed ale sounds good!

Yes it was and it was especially good with the Cajun flavored burger with spicy sauce that I had.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 09:33:25 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a great day.  If I remember right Park City is about 10,000 foot elevation ... the air gets a little thin up there. 

I don't suppose you got a chance to visit the Olympic ski jumping and bobsled training facilities ... it's where they held some of the winter olympics events.

Yes, the summit is 10,000 feet, the base where the town is and where we were is 7,000 feet.   I haven't been to the Olympic facilities yet but my wife has been there on one of her previous trips up here.  She said it was quite impressive.  ;)
----------------------

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
One of the numerous  things I like about this site is the positive attitudes and the enjoyments of life which so many here have.  It gives one a more positive outlook on life that may not have happened otherwise.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

10 hours and 363 miles in the saddle
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 09:43:27 AM »

Yes, the summit is 10,000 feet, the base where the town is and where we were is 7,000 feet.   I haven't been to the Olympic facilities yet but my wife has been there on one of her previous trips up here.  She said it was quite impressive.  ;)

I have done the bobsled run before in Park City.  Quite the ride!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »
One of the numerous  things I like about this site is the positive attitudes and the enjoyments of life which so many here have.  It gives one a more positive outlook on life that may not have happened otherwise.  Dee

Very well stated Dee, thanks for your positive input.  ;)
----------------------

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »

Here you go Pappy - a shot of the bobsled track when we were there in 2009

They practice ski jumping all summer long.  The jumps have artificial grass on them  :o

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »

Very well stated Dee, thanks for your positive input.  ;)

Indeed,  dee, a great enjoyment I get is reading about all kinds of member adventures in addition to cooking.

Looks like a really fun day,  LVC!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »

pappy, when I was at the Salt Lake Olympics, I was assigned to the sliding track venue on the mountain at Park City. At the Olympics, they always have a media day a few days before the opening ceremony and were giving bobsled rides to anyone that was brave enough. I thought I was, so I got in a 4 man sled that was driven by a professional with a professional in the rear. We didn't go as fast as the Olympic sleds, but it was a lot faster than I wanted to go. I got scared shirtless. When I got to the bottom, I told myself never again. Then, 4 years later, on the Whistler Sliding Track north of Vancouver, I kind of forgot how scary that slide was and signed up again for the media day fun. This time it was cancelled because of a death at the bottom of the track by an Olympic athlete during a practice run. I didn't do it in Sochi, either. I guess I'm finally thinking straight. Thinking back, yes, it was quite the ride.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »
Wow great time had by y'all!   Wish I could still ride  :(  my back and knees just won't let me do that anymore
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 06:25:46 PM »
Can't do much better than a day like that ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC