Author Topic: Dickey's BBQ  (Read 8442 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Dickey's BBQ
« Reply #-1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:14:34 AM »
So Wendy and I were at Lowes the other morning out in Highland and we were hungry when we were done there. We were walking towards a Del Taco when I see a Dickey's BBQ. We have seen some of their commercials and I said what the heck.

Wendy was like, "Smokeasaurus going to a BBQ restaurant??

Now, I am like the rest of ya, I feel my Que is better than any restaurant. Well, sometimes it might be and sometimes it isn't. But I figured lets give it a shot.

We walk in and they have a big picture of Ronald Reagan with some cowboys and a big Lone Star on the wall.......so far so good  8)

The guy behind the counter informed me that the chain is based out of Texas. I figured that was why there was no Tri-Tip on the menu. They had ribs and pulled pork, ham and chicken.........and brisket  ;)

I ordered a brisket sammie for Wendy and I. I told the kid "If ya can do brisket good, the rest should be good as well"

I darn near swallowed my cud when he asked me if I wanted meat from the point or the flat  8) 8)  Point me up dude  ;) ;)

Basically had a burnt end sammie with some pretty good bbq sauce on the side. Speaking of sides, nothing to write home about.

But here is where it gets interesting.............

I go back to the counter and I ask the kid "You guys use electric smokers right?"

To my amazement they let me go into the back of the kitchen. They have a huge Old Hickory rotisserie smoker in the back that burns hickory logs. I got to see the burning logs that keep the pit working 24 hours a day. They have their own beef rub that they use on their briskets. Briskets are rubbed down 24 hours ahead of time and are in the pit up to 14 hours. They have a wonderful pork rub that they bottle and sell that they use on their ribs and butts. They marinate chicken in a italian dressing concoction. All proteins are cooked together in the huge hickory pit and is watched by the workers round the clock. I was taken back to the huge walk in fridge and got to see the full packers and double packs of pork shoulders. Ribs stacked up to the sky. They go through 70 racks a day.

The staff is young kids that obviously was trained the right way. One of the kids said "You won't see no tri-tip here, this is Texas Que and you get brisket"

I was in the back for nearly an hour, Wendy had another brisket sammie while I was in the back.

Upon leaving, one of the workers gave me a baggie of meat and a bottle of pork rub to take home with me and I was told whenever I come back I can go into the kitchen any time I want to  :) :) :) :)

While the brisket was really good, the sides were so so. They have free soft serve for when you are done and that is a nice touch. What impressed me was all these young kids that have a love for BBQ and that Dickiey's is keeping it real by cooking with real wood  :) :) and they are all so darn nice

Here is the web-site if interested:  https://www.dickeys.com/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Dickey's BBQ
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »
The only Dickey's around here closed before I could try it. They franchise a lot. Sounds like you found a great one. I think showing the cooker is genius. People really appreciate that and the effort it takes to make.
Enjoyed your story!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Dickey's BBQ
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
Sounds good. Looked at their website, they have 3 locations around Tuscaloosa and 1 in Huntsville. Maybe they will make it to the Birmingham area soon.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline nylic76

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:04:21 PM »
We have one nearby and I like their pulled pork and brisket sandwiches.  I buy their BBQ sauce for use at home.  You walk through the door and you are enveloped in the smell of hickory smoke.  Hmmm, good.  I was somewhat skeptical the first time I went.  The skepticism vanished after my first bite.  I give it a thumbs up....maybe two.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:09:32 PM by nylic76 »
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06:23 PM »
The only Dickey's around here closed before I could try it. They franchise a lot. Sounds like you found a great one. I think showing the cooker is genius. People really appreciate that and the effort it takes to make.
Enjoyed your story!

The manager told me they love to bring people to see their cooker so they know the meat is real and prepared on site and that they cook lo and slo the way it should be done.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 12:45:57 PM »
 I went to dickeys  in Plano tx with my in laws quite a few times in the 80s. It one of the older ones if not the oldest.  I was thrilled with dickeys because they actually served pork ribs...something that was in short supply in north Texas in the 70's and 80's as just about everywhere I went it was always beef ribs that were served.

Haven't been back there in a long time but I have eaten at the dickeys at Dfw and it was really marginal...of course a lot of food suffers at the airport. 
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
Hmmmm - there is a Dickey's not far from here. Haven't tried it yet. My oldest daughter works at Famous Dave's and the thought of BBQ after a few days of double shifts is more than she can bear. I'll have to sneak over to Dickey's on my own. Thanks for the post!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »
I had never heard of this chain, but, when I looked them up, there looks like there's one in Pineville, just south of Charlotte.

On my list things to do!

Thanks ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »
They don't have any local to me but surprisingly they just built one in Palmdale of all places. I have seen their commercials but have not tried it yet. I no longer live in the Antelope Valley so I would need to make a special trip just to try it.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
The way you cook Muebe, I wouldn't drive an hour for Que, when you can do it so much better yourself  :) :)

However, if you are in the area, give that brisket a try.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
Just talked with my daughter (as she headed off to work at FD) she said she had heard good things about Dickey's and is up for a trip in the next few days. We'll get some pictures.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
We have one near the office and 2 or 3 here in the Boise are.  We eat lunch there a few times a month.   The brisket, ribs and sauce are decent, but the only side I will touch are the beans...  I've never asked to go in the back, I'll have to try that next time I'm in there when it is halfway slow.
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 04:21:06 PM »
We have a Dickey's BBQ in Hickory.  In fact, Tim, Hub and I ate there about 2 weeks ago.  We have eaten there several times.  The only thing Hub doesn't like is the Texas Pete hot sauce they put out.  Other than that, it's decent commercial BBQ.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »
When I was a kid, we would have to go thru Dallas to go from East Texas to West Texas, or West to East - visiting family. If the timing was right, my Dad would ask what we wanted for lunch or dinner...Dickey's was always my answer.... ;D

At the old original location, they had a big wheel of yellow hoop cheese with a red wax rind on an old butcher block table,. You just cut off a chunk, and ate it before, or with your meal...It was always at room temperature, and a real treat. The good old days....... :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
we just got one a couple of months ago. Guess I need to give them a go.
Love to cook and eat