Author Topic: Smokey D's BBQ in Des Moines, IA  (Read 808 times)

Offline Gumby

Smokey D's BBQ in Des Moines, IA
« Reply #-1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
Don't know how many of ya'll live near Des Moines, but if your within 4 hours of the place, I HIGHLY recommend Smokey D's.  My wife & I went to the Surf Ballroom in Clearlake, IA to take in a Dwight Yoakam concert & stopped by Smokey D's on our way back to Omaha.  We each had a 2 meat dinner & 2 sides.  I had the sausage & pulled pork with beans & potato salad.  Dana had brisket & burnt ends with cole slaw & mac & cheese.  The sausage & pulled pork is excellent!!  Good smoke flavor & moist.  The beans were good, but the potato salad had a hint of horseradish in it.  I had some reservations about that, but I gave it a try & am I glad I did, it was very good, especially with the beef my wife had.  The brisket she had was better than average, the cole slaw was ok, the mac & cheese was good, but the burnt ends!!! OMG were they good!  It was like a buttery explosion of perfect smoke across my tongue!!!!!!!  I promptly got up & bought 2 lbs of them to go!!  God were they good!
Just a guy who loves his wife, smoked dead animal & the Georgia Bulldogs.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokey D's BBQ in Des Moines, IA
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »
Can I bring these two with me?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
I will be in Ames, IA the third week of July for a seminar.  Thanks for the info.  I'll try to check it out.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Gumby

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
Can I bring these two with me?

I picked up the nickname in college, don't remember why.  The brain cells used to retain college memories were killed by grain alcohol daiquiris some time in the early 1980's!!
Just a guy who loves his wife, smoked dead animal & the Georgia Bulldogs.

Offline Pappymn

Smokey D's BBQ in Des Moines, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
Surf ballroom is a time machine......very cool. I have family all over Iowa. Thanks for the tip
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109