Author Topic: Outside the Fire Butler Box...Two ideas  (Read 35810 times)

Offline Jaxon

Outside the Fire Butler Box...Two ideas
« Reply #-1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:02:26 PM »
Just had a couple of ideas to run past you guys.  You know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I had these ideas I couldn't shake. 

Take a look and share YOUR ideas:

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Outside the Fire Butler Box...Two ideas
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »
I tell ya, the Backyard Jack line needs to be introduced one of these days...

The wok idea looks very good - I have a Discada I use as a wok on my Weber - love using it - great heat and the little bit of a charcoal flavor is great. I think your plan makes good sense. I aso have a cast iron wok I use on my SRG that works perfectly.

Can't speak to the second as I don't have a stick burner (yet...)

Good luck - look forward to the results.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:20:18 PM »
 I like the idea in your offset. I thought about it in my tank . I have a small square grill pan I use inside the tank now when I want it to cook hotter than smoking temps. This might extend the burn time for me. and maintain a nice steady temp.
 Good Idea...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »
Weber makes a grate with a hole in the middle for accessories. Maybe the wok would sit in that hole...?...
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-8835-Gourmet-System-Cooking/dp/B0044EQM9Q/ref=pd_sim_86_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=61N5%2B4ajWyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0V1QBPDV7282Y1X1B3MB

I have that Terry and I don't think the hole is big enough and it also puts the wok further away from the fire.

Jack, excellent ideas on the wok. I think that will work.  Also as far as your stick burner goes if you are just going to use charcoal and chunks instead of
your splits I can't see it not working.  Way to think outside of the box my friend. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »
 The problem I expect with the offset is that the charcoal may not be hot enough. I know it wont be in mine but maybe in the small unit it will be ample...

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »
The problem I expect with the offset is that the charcoal may not be hot enough. I know it wont be in mine but maybe in the small unit it will be ample...

That's the same question I have, Terry.  I'll do a practice run and check the temps.
<><

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
I think Mike is right re: the Weber solution for a wok - if you look in a Chinese or Japanese kitchen you will see the woks are heated by jet fuel burners - they are screaming hot. To get that on an outdoor cooker means we have to get the fire VERY close to the wok. I have had good luck with the SRG and my cast iron wok - hit 700* plus. Less on the discada on the Weber. It will be interesting to see what Jack gets on the wok over the F B fire box - looking forward to his results. If this works it could be a real interesting asddition to the F B story.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
Great ideas!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
I like the idea in your offset. I thought about it in my tank . I have a small square grill pan I use inside the tank now when I want it to cook hotter than smoking temps. This might extend the burn time for me. and maintain a nice steady temp.
 Good Idea...

I've thought about that, too, especially in conjunction with a Vortex (sorry if I'm not supposed to mention other products).  But I don't believe they make one of those grates for the 26 and my 22 has been demoted to the travel team (Competition).

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »
Not to tinkle in Jacks Kool-Aid, but I think the butler might be too small for a offset..adding charcoal briqs...don't think it will get hot enough.Especially if it has a large smoking chamber and 1/4" steel. Now maybe a POS Home Depot off-set might work..................thinner steel....smaller overall cooker............just sayin..............

Heck, if you don't try...how will one ever know.....go for it Jack and thanks for getting us all thinking............. :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline FireButler

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »
Jack,
 I gotta be honest here. I'll be surprised if it gets up to temp. You may have to have a lil space between the lid and the fire box so it will breathe a lil better. I have often thought of closing off the firebox to a small stick burner and putting the firebuler in the center the grill. I have designed a lil stand to hold it up so the ashes can fall out, but with all that's goin on some things just don't get tested as soon as I'd like. once again you have my attention Jack. It's probably safe to say I'm the most anxious here to see your results. Thanks again!
                                                                                                                             Troy@firebutler.com

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:45:22 PM »
My plan is to start with screamin' hot charcoal and droppin' it into the fire box - then, I'll add pecan and cherry wood chunks along with pieces from my wood pile.  Hey, the wood chunks are gonna burn a lot better than the charcoal.
I'm thinkin' I'll have to limit the amount of wood I load into it.  I only have to hit 250* max.
Just last week I picked up a huge bag of cherry chunks for less than $4.
<><

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
Just thinkin,  is this too large to fit in the bottom of the PBC? If it did it might make for some extended low and slow..   :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 08:53:38 AM »
Ya gotta give it a try, Tom.

Yeah, that might be one way to convert it to a slow smoker.
<><