Author Topic: Izzy's Deli Cincinnati, OH  (Read 27571 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Izzy's Deli Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #-1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »
My wife loves latkes, potato pancakes, and we were talking about them the other night. Our daughter in law said don’t you remember the ones we used to get at Izzy’s in Cincinnati. I didn’t remember at first and said you sure I ate there, she said yes. Then I kinda remembered how good they were.

I did some research and Izzy’s Deli was started in the early 1900’s. It is considered the #1 deli in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was started by Izzy Kadetz and his wife Rose. There are 7 locations in Ohio and 2 in KY. They are famous for their Rueben’s offering 7 varieties and their potato pancakes.

Most places that are famous for a particular item on their menu keep the recipe secret, and you can only get it from a copycat source. I searched for them and found not only does Izzy share the recipe there is a video of him making them in his home for his family. I really enjoyed watching the video and had to watch a couple of times to get his recipe. His son kind of coaxed the recipe from him since he cooks and mixes the ingredients from years of experience and feel!

I am going to try these Saturday night but will use my food processor.

Recipe:
Izzy’s potato pancakes

3 large potatoes, grated
1 onion grated
3 eggs
A large spoonful of white flour for each potato
Salt and pepper to taste

He grated the potatoes and onions by hand on a fine grater. Then he stirred in the eggs to mix well. He added salt and pepper and then the flour. He said now you can do this with a machine, food processor, but I like to do it by hand, tastes better!

He then fried them in a mix of olive oil and veggie oil, about 3 Tbs. per cake. It looked like he had ¼ to ½ inch of oil in the skillets. Good served with applesauce.

Note: This should be enough for 3 or 4 people for more just double or triple the recipe.

Link to Deli's http://www.izzys.com/index-afterstpat.php

Link to Izzy's Video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Izzy+Kadetz+Potato+Pancake+Recipe&view=detail&mid=4190D9285A61CDA63AAC4190D9285A61CDA63AAC&FORM=VIRE

Update: After reading further there is a question whether the Izzy in the video is the same Izzy Kadetz that started the Deli's. It is hard to believe there was two different Izzy Kadetz's making potato pancakes though. I am going to stay with the recipe in the video. Don
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:45:25 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Izzy's Deli Cincinnati, OH
« on: March 18, 2016, 11:04:05 PM »
I will bring the chives and sour cream..... :P :P :P

Oh you know how to make a man weep Don......LATKES!!!!!!!!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:31:34 AM »
Don..if you mix with the eggs in the food processor..you won't have the texture after you grate them. I always wrap in a cloth towel and squeeze the excess water out..they get a lot crisper that way. Then mix the rest together. Watching to see how yours come out.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »
Don..if you mix with the eggs in the food processor..you won't have the texture after you grate them. I always wrap in a cloth towel and squeeze the excess water out..they get a lot crisper that way. Then mix the rest together. Watching to see how yours come out.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
I am just doing the potatoes and onions in the processor the rest by hand. In the video he didn't worry about any of the water, all went in the bowl. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
I am just doing the potatoes and onions in the processor the rest by hand. In the video he didn't worry about any of the water, all went in the bowl. Don
I still wanna know..and am available for testing and consultation..lol  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron