Author Topic: The Salt Lick BBQ - Texas  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Smokenovice

• Southern California
The Salt Lick BBQ - Texas
« Reply #-1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:29:12 AM »
Anyone tried The Salt Lick in Driftwood, Texas?  They opened restaurants in Las Vegas, Nevada a few years ago and couldn't make it go; so, Mike Mills opened a few to replace them called Memphis Championship BBQ.
MAK 2 Star General #700
Traeger BBQ075 Texas
Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit Charcoal Smoker & Grill
Barbeques Galore Capt'N Cook Endeavour Propane 3 Burner

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
I can't speak for myself cause I've never been. My brother went recently to the one in San Antonio and didn't care for it. Said it was nice to look at but food wasn't great. Like everything else, everyone has different tastes and likes. Try it out and let us know. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline CaptJack

Re: The Salt Lick BBQ - Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
that's what happens when you try to clone a restaurant
it's never as good as the original
but, the SaltLick (original in Driftwood) never has been rated in the top of the Texas BBQ joints
way too many of the original joints that blow it away
Pizzitola's in Houston is far better that SaltLick and it doesn't come close to any of Lockhart joints
or CityMarket in Luling
much less Snow's in Lexington
King of the OldSmokey

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
CaptCuz is right, you can't clone a bbq joint and have it as good as the original. I've been to The Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX many times. Most of those times were a long time ago when it was the original. About 15 or 20 years ago, the original owners sold The Salt Lick to a buyer from New York. (A New Yorker trying to sell bbq in Texas...really?)  To give him credit, he didn't change a thing, but the bbq there was never the same after that. It isn't true Texas BBQ. Some of the meat is cooked out front in a big round open fire pit for a good show (when you see pictures or video, this is what you will see), but most is cooked in ovens in the back. This place is a tourist trap and serves several thousand tourists on weekends. Now don't get me wrong, it isn't THAT bad, it's just not real Texas BBQ like Lockhart or Luling or Elgin or Cooper's or Franklin's or Snow's. As a matter of fact, the worst bbq I ever had was pretty good. If you get a chance, visit The Salt Lick because the atmosphere is top notch and the bbq isn't that bad. By the way, it is out in the middle of nowhere, halfway between Austin and Wimberly. Only my humble opinion.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »
I love the Salt Lick. Their original sauce on pork is still my favorite. I agree that the round fire out front is sexy and a little misleading. Atmosphere can not be beat. You can visit a First Lady garden on the drive, which is well worth It.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »
Oh yeah, it was a dry county when I was there. So if you want a beer, bring your own. ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokenovice

• Southern California
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:55:02 AM »
So, what are the best BBQ joints in Texas you all?  Please list them 1-5 for me; since, I'm planning to head out there next year.  I want real BBQ, not any tourist attractions too.  Thank you guys  ;)
MAK 2 Star General #700
Traeger BBQ075 Texas

Offline Smokenovice

• Southern California
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »
Pappymn, the beers only good to wash down bad BBQ; so, hopefully I won't need any if all youTexan BBQrs help with your recommendations - Thanks again!
MAK 2 Star General #700
Traeger BBQ075 Texas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
So, what are the best BBQ joints in Texas you all?  Please list them 1-5 for me; since, I'm planning to head out there next year.  I want real BBQ, not any tourist attractions too.  Thank you guys  ;)

What part of Texas....? It is a big country.....( or hopefully will be again soon... ;D )
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline Smokenovice

• Southern California
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
required reading  ;)
http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/top50

This was great, thank you very much.  CaptJack, is there any one particular place you favor the best?
MAK 2 Star General #700
Traeger BBQ075 Texas

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 05:25:13 AM »
Here's my top 5 list.

1. Smitty's or Kreuz in Lockhart (almost one and the same. Same family that split apart, but they still maintain the same recipes and smoking styles. Be sure to try the bbq prime rib if they haven't sold out. The best greasy sausage in my opinion)
2. Southside Market in Elgin (great brisket and great sausage and I love their bbq'd mutton as well)
3. Louie Mueller in Taylor (Louie Mueller died a few years ago, but they have maintained the quality when his apprentice took over. The brisket is great and the sausage is wonderful)
4. Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ in Llano (You order outside right off the pit. Excellent bbq chicken and jalepeno sausage))
5. City Market in Luling (like the Capt says, it's good. I particularly like their sausage)

Honorable mention - Mikeska's BBQ in Taylor (Right beside Louie Meuller's above. The only reason I am giving this place an honorable mention is because Tim Mikeska is an old friend and golf partner of mine and he might be reading this. In his favor, he has catered the bbq for the inaugarations of 3 presidents in Washington, DC, can't count how many governors in Austin, and an event for the Queen of England in London. He's gotta be doing something right.....OK, it's great bbq just in case he is reading this.) By the way Tim also owns The Taylor Cafe listed in the Texas Monthly article.

No one and the Texas Monthly article mentioned The Ironworks BBQ in Austin. Does anyone know if they are still in business. They should be close to the top of everyone's list, but I haven't been there in at least 5 years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:28:04 AM by IR2dum »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 10:41:30 AM »
Didn't Bob Phillips (Texas Country Reporter) do a special on the best Q in Texas once??

Now not to cause a big hoopty doo, but the best Texas BBQ is in California on my back patio, because I Q Texas style............. ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 02:19:34 AM »
Didn't Bob Phillips (Texas Country Reporter) do a special on the best Q in Texas once??

Now not to cause a big hoopty doo, but the best Texas BBQ is in California on my back patio, because I Q Texas style............. ;D

smoke, he did and I tried to look it up on YouTube, but couldn't locate it. Can't remember who he recommended. It was a good series.

I don't doubt that your Texas BBQ in your backyard in CA is the best. I've seen your cooks. Just waiting for that invitation to try it.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »
Thank you Sir!!  My BBQ is the best....until you run up the highway a bit and hit Muebes place!!!  OF course ya got Sparky a bit of the way farther up!!! :)

I guess we all consider ourselves "Backyard Legends"  ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32