Author Topic: How to break in your Grillgrates  (Read 21552 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

How to break in your Grillgrates
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
What I have read in the booklet surprises me. It says to spray with a Pam hot grill spray or hot temp cooking oil on the rails. But it does not say to clean them first. Do any of you wash them first & what else did you do to yours for the first cook on them? Thanks Richard
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: How to break in your Grillgrates
« on: June 10, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »
What I have read in the booklet surprises me. It says to spray with a Pam hot grill spray or hot temp cooking oil on the rails. But it does not say to clean them first. Do any of you wash them first & what else did you do to yours for the first cook on them? Thanks Richard
i washed mine with soap and water then on the grill with oil rubbed on them before I cooked with them
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
i washed mine with soap and water then on the grill with oil rubbed on them before I cooked with them

Thanks Tommy!!! That is what I thought but wanted to be sure. Thanks Again Richard
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »
You might think them to be a pain to clean at first... but they get easier with time. A wide headed flat screw driver does a fabulous job of cleaning the majority of the gunk out from between the rails. That’s how I do it, and then I give the top of the rails a good scrub with my brush.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
You might think them to be a pain to clean at first... but they get easier with time. A wide headed flat screw driver does a fabulous job of cleaning the majority of the gunk out from between the rails. That’s how I do it, and then I give the top of the rails a good scrub with my brush.

Are you using grill grates, not the MAK built, on your MAK?  Theirs are made with no flat side, so nothing to scrape?
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »

Are you using grill grates, not the MAK built, on your MAK?  Theirs are made with no flat side, so nothing to scrape?
I have the MAK sear grates for my MAK, and GrillGrates for my Weber kettle. I tried the GrillGrates on the MAK, but found I much prefer MAK’s version :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »

I have the MAK sear grates for my MAK, and GrillGrates for my Weber kettle. I tried the GrillGrates on the MAK, but found I much prefer MAK’s version :)

Whew!  Thought maybe there is a gizzy I don’t have yet.   8)
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
IMHO, grill grates do a fantastic job on steaks..
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »
That they do :thumbup:    Really want something good try grilld cheese (Texas toast and thick cheddar) on a campfire :thumbup: :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:43 AM »
When I bought mine, I rinsed and dried them, then I seasoned them with canola oil and let them heat up (similar to the way I would a cast iron skillet).  For regular cleaning, I used a damp old golf towel to clean the channels (use tongs to grip the towel, of course).  For "spring cleaning", I just soaked them in a plastic tub with some Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water; I re-season them with canola after that process.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »
Please keep in mind that they are aluminum. There is an anodized, hardened surface - that is microns...only microns thick.

That is not a criticism of the product, I love mine and use them regularly. It is a reminder to all that you should NEVER "clean" them with anything that can abrade, scratch, cut, or otherwise damage the surface. This would also include the type of tools you use to flip or remove food from them.

Why?.... Because the anodized coating is what prevents the coating from oxidizing under the heat/cool stress we place on these as pat of their normal use. Aluminum in your food is NOT a good thing. When we change the conductivity of our bodies via introduction of metals - above and beyond their design intent ;)....we risk exacerbation of any genetic proclivities for a group of neurologic disorders which all fall under the general term "dementia".

An absolute "risk" for everyone? I don't think so...but the more that is learned about metals in our food and water supply - the more that neurologists claim the link for such is growing stronger.

Just an advisement, suggestion and desire that all use a degree of prudence in the the use and care of their grates - they are a great product.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »

Now you are speaking my language ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
Please keep in mind that they are aluminum. There is an anodized, hardened surface - that is microns...only microns thick.

That is not a criticism of the product, I love mine and use them regularly. It is a reminder to all that you should NEVER "clean" them with anything that can abrade, scratch, cut, or otherwise damage the surface. This would also include the type of tools you use to flip or remove food from them.

Why?.... Because the anodized coating is what prevents the coating from oxidizing under the heat/cool stress we place on these as pat of their normal use. Aluminum in your food is NOT a good thing. When we change the conductivity of our bodies via introduction of metals - above and beyond their design intent ;)....we risk exacerbation of any genetic proclivities for a group of neurologic disorders which all fall under the general term "dementia".

An absolute "risk" for everyone? I don't think so...but the more that is learned about metals in our food and water supply - the more that neurologists claim the link for such is growing stronger.

Just an advisement, suggestion and desire that all use a degree of prudence in the the use and care of their grates - they are a great product.

Ok after that I just returned my grates ??? ??? ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
Just kidding TEE ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thanks folks for all the good tips........Even Tee ;) ;) ;)

Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
The super big Grill Grates spatula cleans the inside grooves nicely...………...I used to always spray em down with quick release spray before every cook.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32