Author Topic: Dry Aging USDA Prime 1 brisket  (Read 13271 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Dry Aging USDA Prime 1 brisket
« Reply #-1 on: April 14, 2019, 05:01:30 AM »
I bought 2 USDA Prime 1 briskets last month. Put one in a Umai dry age bag on March 9th and will take it out of the fridge around May 8th or 9th. It will have dry aged about 60 or so days and will get smoked and shared with a bunch of my great forum friends next month. I am making them the test dummies because I have never tried dry aging. Hope it works and doesn't kill anybody. If they survive it, they can post their thoughts on how the experiment worked. There will probably be a video of the trimming and cooking and eating. Mike (HOS) is really good at making videos.

The dry age bag was easy to use and I made 2 good seals that are holding, but I did come across a problem with the sealing process. My vacuum sealer didn't seem strong enough to really seal it tight to the meat. The instructions said that I needed about 80% contact of the bag with the meat. I don't think I achieved that much contact because the brisket had some hills and valleys where the bag stretched tight across the high points and was not touching the low points. I think I solved the problem by tying string all around the brisket (outside the bag) and adding wadded up paper towel under the string to force the bag down onto the meat. As it sits right now after about 35 days, the bag is stuck really good to the meat and the meat looks like it is drying perfectly.

Can't wait to see how this is going to turn out and I can't wait to see a lot of my forum friends once again.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Dry Aging USDA Prime 1 brisket
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »
I am looking forward to tasting your brisket.  Maureen and I plan to be there. 

One question, though.  Why didn't you get Dee to help with pictures?

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
Waiting on this one.
Love to cook and eat

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »
when drying with UMAi the bag doesn't have to be "tight" against the meat in all places, especially after it has been drying for a while.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:30 AM »
Waiting on this one.

Come get some of this RAD...you know where we are.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:46:22 PM »
Waiting on this one.

Come get some of this RAD...you know where we are.

X2....Ray, you're always welcome.