Author Topic: The grill of my dreams...(so far)  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: The grill of my dreams...(so far)
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 07:09:19 PM »
Criminy!!!
I did a thorough cleaning today.  It IS easy.  Easy to take everything out - most of it just wiped clean.  The only tough thing was the heat tent.  I used DAWN concentrate and let it set awhile.  Came back with a light brush and they cleaned up well.  Then I covered it with tin foil so next time, clean up will be even easier.  Fortunately, the fire channel is protected by the heat tent and hardly anything drips on it - wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
The grill of my dreams cleans up like a dream.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 07:13:16 AM »
BB, I drop a couple of chunks down the chute as I'm loading the charcoal.  I can also put a chunk or two in the ash catcher, but I have found that I don't get significant smoke action that way.
BTW, this grill has an adjustable vent to allow control of smoke and heat.

I always thought the chunks gave a better quality smoke than the briquettes. I may be wrong. I still use my old cheapo Brinkman!

Would you think about adding Grill Grates on top of your grates?

I am trying to think about either this, versus a Green Egg, or a Big Joe komado to the fold. My 4 burner Char Broil is now 12 years old--still going strong, but there will be a day!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 07:47:05 AM »
If I am correct the heat tent has louvers for smoke and heat distribution.

How do you go about foiling it without blocking the louvers?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »

Would you think about adding Grill Grates on top of your grates?

I am trying to think about either this, versus a Green Egg, or a Big Joe komado to the fold. My 4 burner Char Broil is now 12 years old--still going strong, but there will be a day!

I sold my large kamado grill (Kong) to get this grill because the Kong didn't have near enough room for multiple racks of ribs.
I have grill grates and will be tryin' them out - only had the grill a short time.
BTW, I had a Char-Broil infrared 4 burner for years until it started to crumble a couple of years ago... Nice grill.
<><

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
If I am correct the heat tent has louvers for smoke and heat distribution.

How do you go about foiling it without blocking the louvers?

I took the time to cut the slots in the foil at each vent.  I hope I can get multiple cooks before I have to replace the foil.
<><

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
One of the things I like about my Kamado is the easy cleanup.  A drip pan sits right under the butt or brisket.  On the other hand I dislike it because the smoke flavor can be lacking probably due to having the diffuser and drip pan under the meat and the smoke going up the sides and out the top without "kissing the meat".

Often times I'll get close to a quart of liquid in the drip pan.  Where does this go on the CharGriller?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 12:27:00 PM »
BB, the 980 has a drip drain that flows down to a collection cup.  I put kitty litter in the cup to absorb the liquid and make for an easier disposal.  Additionally, the drip drain runs from one end to the other and the whole thing can be removed easily when I need to do a deep cleaning. This is the easiest to clean grill I've owned.  It just takes a little more time because of its size.
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
So not foiling the heat diffuser is not at all a necessity. Just has to be scraped off if not foiled
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 06:56:14 PM »
You are correct, sir...Howsomever, I lined it just for you...take a look.
<><

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 11:14:25 AM »
Jaxon I know we all use it at least I do but I have cut down on using foil with everything when I can. Is it safe to use foil in that way or is it unsafe only if it touches the food? Thanks.  Keep up the great cooks!!!!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »
Jaxon I know we all use it at least I do but I have cut down on using foil with everything when I can. Is it safe to use foil in that way or is it unsafe only if it touches the food? Thanks.  Keep up the great cooks!!!!

Aluminum heated to high temperatures will (1) off-gas toxic substances and (2) leach aluminum into the food it contacts.  There seems to be adequate proof for some people that aluminum in the body leads to decreased functions of the central nervous system, Alzheimer’s disease, and bone diseases.

(I don't care to enter into the old discussion that we tolerate other dangerous exposures, including the possible risks inherent in grilled or smoked food.  I'm simply addressing Tailgating's question.)

If you're referring to aluminum leaching into food, the aluminum needs to contact the food.  If you're referring to the gasses the hot aluminum emits, the problem apparently manifests itself when the gasses are inhaled.

Careful Internet searching will provide hours of reading material.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2021, 12:54:55 PM »

Aluminum heated to high temperatures will (1) off-gas toxic substances and (2) leach aluminum into the food it contacts.  There seems to be adequate proof for some people that aluminum in the body leads to decreased functions of the central nervous system, Alzheimer’s disease, and bone diseases.

(I don't care to enter into the old discussion that we tolerate other dangerous exposures, including the possible risks inherent in grilled or smoked food.  I'm simply addressing Tailgating's question.)

If you're referring to aluminum leaching into food, the aluminum needs to contact the food.  If you're referring to the gasses the hot aluminum emits, the problem apparently manifests itself when the gasses are inhaled.

Careful Internet searching will provide hours of reading material.

Thanks So much!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
I did the foil for Smoke.
I hardly ever use it...almost exclusively when cookin' low and slow.
<><

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »
I am with pmillen on the use of aluminum foil. I don't.....Ther are too many studies out there that indicate it is a bad thing for us to get into our bloodstream. And, since it sees such high temps where we generally place it in the grill - near the fire - ...I just quit using it. Instead - I have resorted to placing a rimmed cookie sheet  with an elevated wire rack under anything  I cook. The net result is that the air and smoke circulation is unrestricted AND - I never have to clean off baked on food grease and carbonized sugars from meat juice, sauces, marinades etc - that would invariably find their way to heat tents, drip pans and the belly of your cooker. Amazing what you are forced to learn from many days in the sun cutting your knuckles while sanding and scraping and scrubbing hard baked black stuff from parts of your grill. I restored/up-graded 2 MAK Stars. I learned a very hard lesson about this. ;) :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »
I remember my mother had a set of Club aluminum pots she used for most of my youth. That probably explains a lot. On the other hand, at my current age I'm all about easy. Not saying y'all ain't right - just that I'm already about 50 years past my expiration date and less concerned with rare possible side effects than I might have been earlier.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion