Author Topic: London Broil, what is it?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
London Broil, what is it?
« Reply #-1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »

London Broil

Technically speaking, a "London Broil" is a term used to describe a method of cooking and carving a Flank Steak back in the early 1900's. It was made famous in a London hotel restaurant and the recipe was brought to New York City by a chef immigrating to America.

There are only two Flank Steaks on a whole cow, so when 'London Broil' became popular back in the 60's and 70's the meat industry started introducing the public to "London Broil" Top Round Steak. That has carried over into today's market as well. Top Round consists of over 95% of "London Broil" sales with Beef Chuck Boneless Shoulder Steak and Beef Round Sirloin Tip Steak filling out the other 5%, depending on what part of the country you live in. Flank Steak is still mentioned as the original "London Broil" in some cookbooks and steak houses around the states.

A "London Broil" should be at least 1½-2" thick, marinated, seared in a hot fire and cooked to a nice medium rare. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to let the juices distribute and then sliced THIN against the grain, on a bias to make the meat tender. Serve with the meat juices poured over the top of the slices.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: London Broil, what is it?
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
You are a wealth of information today.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
Rummm... Welcome aboard! I can tell I will be hanging out on the 'Ask A Butcher' chapter a lot! This is great! I appreciate the information and everything that you bring to the party.  (I'm going to need another hard drive to Copy & Paste all of this great information into).  ;) I used to just remember it all, but for some reason that doesn't work as well as it used to, so I save it. Now let's see, where did I put that???  ;D
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:27:33 PM »
I used to just remember it all, but for some reason that doesn't work as well as it used to, so I save it. Now let's see, where did I put that???  ;D

You too???  :o I think the government is putting something in the water... I used to have mind like a steel trap - actually I still do, just seems to be closed most of the time...  :(

But the info from Rummm is top notch and well worth printing and archiving - I do both!

David
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:29:13 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »
David,  I don't know if I have a mind like a steel trap with the spring broken or a photogenic mind with no film. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
Great info Rumm!

Heck, I'd make a mental note... but don't have anything to write it on!  ???
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68