Author Topic: Burgers  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Burgers
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
"I have trouble making a decent hamburger on the grill, do you have any tips? Thank you."

Nothing beats a burger on the grill (POB=Plain Old Burger), especially if it’s Ground Chuck or a store mix of 85% lean to 15% fat ratio (85/15 on the label).

Shape your burgers into one third or half pound patties at about 1” thick. Season the outside with your favorite rub or spices. If you like to mix your seasoning in with the meat, don’t over handle or mix too much, as this will lead to a tough burger. Just mix it gently, if you need to.

Place the patty on your preheated grill, 450-500°, and cook direct. Extra smoking wood is optional, but if you do, I suggest hickory, cherry or both. Cook approximately 5-6 minutes per side, flipping only once, or to your desired degree of doneness. Using an instant thermometer, like the Thermapen©, is a sure way to get the burger done the way you like it.

Serve the burger on a plain old hamburger bun, onion roll or a soft Kaiser type roll. If you use a ‘hard’ roll, say like French or the Italian style Ciabatta, the burger will be slipping out the backside when you chew it. The softer bread is meant to hold the meat while you are eating it, not to fight with it. The same works for Pulled Beef or Pork Sandwiches, just use the el cheapo white hamburger buns.

For Cheeseburgers, follow the above, but add the cheese the last couple minutes of cooking time. Suggested cheeses are Yellow/White American, Provolone, Swiss, Monterrey Jack or a Jalapeno infused cheese. Don’t over melt the cheese, as it does lose some of its flavor. Not to mention that it makes a mess on your cooking grids, in the bottom of your grill and will smoke like the devil on your next cook!
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Burgers
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:18:40 AM »
Can't argue with any of that (except maybe the 85/15 - I always have bad luck with anything leaner than 20).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
Really good advice...particularly the part about over mixing.  Recently I have been guilty of that as I tried to enhance flavor by including various spices, ingredients such as onions, cheese, and onion soup mix.  I found as I mixed these things in I had a mushy pattie apparently because the heat of my hands was causing the meat to sort of break down.  So, I guess I have two options: apply the seasonings to the outside as discussed above or to lightly mix using a wooden spoon or something similiar. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tatonka3a2

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
Great advice!!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
Plain and simple is good.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »
I'm to the point of just adding Kosher salt and that's it.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »
After I form the burgers I throw them in the fridge for awhile to get the fat to get firm... it seems to help. I usually use 80/20.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »
I just want to know if you ever get that chicken, lol
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
I just want to know if you ever get that chicken, lol

Little bahstad is quicker than me.