Author Topic: St Louis Cut  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Patio Cook#1

St Louis Cut
« Reply #-1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
I usually purchase the large spare rib sections (brisket bone off) and proceed to pretty much hack them up from there.

I cut the flap off and remove the membrane. Then I flop the ribs over and from there I'm never quite certain where to cut for St.Louis cut.
Let's say I locate the longest rib and beging cutting the rack that length. Because the ribs get shorter as I go across, I would be cutting througe the rib tips. Or, I can work the knife along, cutting the ribs at the ends of the bone, removing all of the rib tips. EH? And winding up with a wide-to-narrow rack.
What do competition cook do as they prepare their ribs? Keep them more even in length, with partial rib tips on the ends of some of the bone?
As usual, I hope this makes some sense.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: St Louis Cut
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »
Good question, will be watching this very closely as I am having the same problems.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
I usually purchase the large spare rib sections (brisket bone off) and proceed to pretty much hack them up from there.

I cut the flap off and remove the membrane. Then I flop the ribs over and from there I'm never quite certain where to cut for St.Louis cut.
Let's say I locate the longest rib and beging cutting the rack that length. Because the ribs get shorter as I go across, I would be cutting througe the rib tips. Or, I can work the knife along, cutting the ribs at the ends of the bone, removing all of the rib tips. EH? And winding up with a wide-to-narrow rack.
What do competition cook do as they prepare their ribs? Keep them more even in length, with partial rib tips on the ends of some of the bone?
As usual, I hope this makes some sense.

OK, I did have a video on this, but per the explanation in the sticky, it's GONE :(

I start at the short end of the ribs, bend them with your hands and you'll see where you have to go. Even with a dull knife you'll make it from one end to the other. They will end up somewhat even. You are basically removing the brisket bones.  After that, you can trim them to your specs. Keep the trimmings for "cooks tasting".

Competition ribs??? To each their own......seems like every KCBS judge has his own standards.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:15 AM »
At one time I had a tutorial on St. Louis Ribs at the old Primo web site

www.primogrill.com/food/st-louisribs.html

But, as you can see, it's now a dead link and I'm going thru my stack of CD's and DVD's to try and recover the photo's. It may take a while  :(

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »
Not mine, but a good TUTORIAL on cutting St. Louis Spares

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Rummm, Thanks for that post.  Is it not sort of a rule of thumb that outside fat is ungood and inside fat is good?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
Thanks Rummm - I am sure your video was better, but this helps a bunch!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
Rummm, Thanks for that post.  Is it not sort of a rule of thumb that outside fat is ungood and inside fat is good?  Dee

Dee, I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry.