Author Topic: I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the site...  (Read 4972 times)

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the site...
« Reply #-1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
I'm afraid what I'm going to say next may be me excommunicated as a heretic.   ???

I tried the brisket sandwich at Arby's and I liked it.

Yep...Arby's.  Fast food place with the big cowboy hat sign.

And yes, I thought it was very tasty.  Brisket was tender, with nice smoke and flavor.  And while I never think of putting cheese on a brisket sandwich, the gouda cheese melting on top of the brisket added a creamy tang that was really nice.  And fried onions are good on anything.

Next time you are grabbing some fast food, give Arby's brisket sandwich a try.

Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the site...
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »
I love Arby's! Their market fresh sandwiches are really good!

That sandwich looks great! I am going to have to give it a try ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
In the Arby's commercial, the gentleman speaking about how long he smokes his brisket is none other than Neil "Bigmista" Strawder, of Bigmista's BBQ in Long Beach, CA.

Haven't tried one myself. Afraid I might like it too.   ???
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
My thought when I saw the commercial was that I was sure it would be tasty (fast food joints know how to do tasty) but I am not so sure about the authenticity.  That being said, I don't believe brisket should be served on a sandwich in the first place.  ::)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
Im going to try that next Friday. I alwAys buy lunch on payday.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
I don't know.  Just seams wrong.  But if I am out and have nothing to eat sounds better than fast food burger right now.  Mayo on it to coat the mouth to make it taste more BBQ without adding more meat. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
My thought when I saw the commercial was that I was sure it would be tasty (fast food joints know how to do tasty) but I am not so sure about the authenticity.  That being said, I don't believe brisket should be served on a sandwich in the first place.  ::)

Comments like this confound me.  I want good food, whether it is "authentic" or not.  Heck, if you could make good brisket in a microwave, I would be fine with microwaved brisket.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »

Comments like this confound me.  I want good food, whether it is "authentic" or not.  Heck, if you could make good brisket in a microwave, I would be fine with microwaved brisket.

Authentic in taste not in prep method.  I like a Whopper or Big Mac too (both very tasty), but I would hardly call either a real (or authentic) hamburger.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »
My Mama's favorite ribs are from the Sizzler...so you can stay  ;) ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
My Mama's favorite ribs are from the Sizzler...so you can stay  ;) ;)

Now I never said this was my favorite brisket... :) 

I typically don't eat a lot of fast food, but I've been traveling a bit lately.  If it helps me stay a part of the family here; I also tried the pulled pork from Burger King....nasty, nasty, nasty. Worse than McDonald's "Riblet"...

Thanks for letting me stick around awhile. 
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

PoppyBill

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »
Interesting. I would have never guessed. And I didn't think there was anything nastier than a McRib!

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
Authentic in taste not in prep method.  I like a Whopper or Big Mac too (both very tasty), but I would hardly call either a real (or authentic) hamburger.

Just so I understand your viewpoint—not that I agree or disagree right now.  Are you saying that in order to be "real" (your word) or genuine (my word choice) something has to be prepared in the traditional way?

If that's your position the sous vide advocates might not completely agree with you.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »

Just so I understand your viewpoint—not that I agree or disagree right now.  Are you saying that in order to be "real" (your word) or genuine (my word choice) something has to be prepared in the traditional way?

If that's your position the sous vide advocates might not completely agree with you.

I said the opposite.  I said "not in prep method."  I don't doubt the sandwich will taste OK.  I just can't see it tasting like good brisket.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
Tender brisket as with any other tender meat make for a great sandwich.

I have used left over Tri-tip, brisket, and even rib-eye steak for a sandwich.

And they have all been really good!

Arby's is one of the few healthier fast food alternatives left IMHO.

If you get a chance try their market fresh BLT. It is really good! It comes on some great bread!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
^ Right, but at some point before the sandwich those all tasted like the real thing.  I have nothing against Arby's (well... except for their prices).  It is still fast food though, no matter how they market the cook time.  I can throw a brisket in a crock pot for 13 hours and have it cooked.  Doesn't make it taste like brisket should taste though.