Author Topic: Albert and Jaxon's Big Texas Adventure  (Read 1777 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Albert and Jaxon's Big Texas Adventure
« Reply #-1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:05:41 AM »
As some of you know, Albert and Jaxon flew to Houston for a taste of Texas BBQ. They flew around, under, over, and through a massive storm front all the way from Alabama to Texas. Luckily, Albert is a great pilot and held Jaxon's hand so he wouldn't be scared. Apparently Albert doesn't have a stewardess to serve an in-flight meal so they were hungry when they arrived. We called CaptJack and he met us at Pizzatola's for a little Que. The pitmaster and manager were kind enough to take us back to the pits and explain how they smoke the meat from the temps of the fire to the rub they put on it. We had a great conversation over dinner and then I put them to bed because they were tired. The next morning, we took to the road early and traveled the Texas BBQ Trail. First stop was Buc-ees in Luling for gas and a look around because you have to see it to believe it (eat your heart out, Tim). I'll just list the places that we stopped and sampled the BBQ.
1. City Market in Luling
2. Smitty's in Lockhart
3. Black's in Lockhart
4. Kreuz in Lockhart
5. Salt Lick in Driftwood
6. Franklin's in Austin (no tasting here because it was too late and they were sold out, but we checked out the building and looked at the pits)
7. Lone Star Bakery in Round Rock (for the world's best donuts)
8. Louis Mueller's in Taylor (we did find pulled pork here - first I have seen in central Texas)
9. Southside Market in Elgin (we ate mutton)
We were pretty full by then so we drove back to Houston. The next day, we visited Pits by Klose which is just down the street from my house. They had all sorts of wild and famous BBQ pits in their warehouse/showroom. One was the Orange County Chopper that has a side car BBQ. Others were a mailbox, a phone booth, a baby carraige, a torpedo, and they are working on a real fire truck bbq. Then we were hungry for some more Que, so we went to Killen's in Pearland where we met Ronnie Killen and got to talk about his pits and philosophy in general. Then I dropped them off at the airport for their return flight which was very pleasant and calm. We had a wonderful time. And contrary to popular opinion, Albert and Jaxon are both great house guests. I think that Jaxon and Albert have some pics that they will post in a couple of days and add their thoughts. I took a few pics on my phone and am desparately trying to get hold of Dee so he can tell me how to post them. Dee was supposed to come this trip but he is in the middle of a house remodel that needed his immediate supervision.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Albert and Jaxon's Big Texas Adventure
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:08:36 AM »
Sounds like a good time Don! Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
Would have loved to be on that trip.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:10:42 AM »
Sounds like a great time!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »
Sounds like a great time. Wish I was with ya on the trip to Davids  pit factory.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
Would have loved to be on that trip.

That would have been a good road trip down from Dallas to join in on that fun!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »
Sounds like a great time was had by all.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
A bucket list trip for sure! Saw a pic on FB already but I don't think they had eaten much at that point because they both still looked relatively hungry.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
Finally getting back to "normal" after a fantastic trip by Air & Asphalt with 2 good friends...

Don provided the play-by-play, so I'll give you a few pics, though they may not be in any particular order:

[attachment deleted by admin]
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, Jack! Looks and sounds like a great trip ... adventure! Good for you guys!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »
We had the roof put on today.  Rain has prevented it being done yesterday.  Great crew and quality of work. Never took a break. Eight men working.  For lunch they would rotate two at time--two eating six working.  Finished start to finish in eight hours.

Now as to the trip. I'm really sorry I was unable to make it.  Not only is it a let down for me but it is a let down for all of y'all also because if I had been there you would have seen more pictures and better quality than what was posted.  I apologize for letting y'all down which resulted in y'all not  having a good photo record of what  was obviously a great trip.   :'(

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
And another thing...
I didn't even get a shot at Pizzitola's with Capt Jack...sorry about that.  I REALLY enjoyed our tour of the pit with their pitmaster of 30 years.  He gave us some very good tips, especially cooking chickens the way THEY do it.  He gave us the recipe for their rub as well (I'll be glad to share it with you).
The folks at these places were very friendly and opened their bbq pits for pictures.  They answered questions and put up with a lot from Don and Albert (inquiring minds wanna know).
This will be a trip I will always remember and cherish as the gift it was for me.  If you ever get a chance to take a trip like this...GRAB IT!
Don was a gracious and generous host.
Albert is a very proficient pilot.  He and his wife, Sylvia, spoiled me while I was at their house.
These folks have been our friends for a long time now.  We got acquainted on the forum and met up in Augusta at the Fall Gathering about 2 1/2 years ago.
Don has been inviting us to Houston for quite a while.  This past Spring, Albert decided it was time to take him up on that invite and put this trip together.  I am thankful to both of them for letting me ride along.  Dee was supposed to go with us tour keep the pictorial journal, but had responsibilities at home and couldn't make it.

The Three Amigos of BBQ will ride again...hopefully Dee will join us.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »
Wow!!  Great trip and food ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »
Incredible trip great pics.  Thanks for sharing.

Oh and that is the biggest rib I have ever seen - Fred Flinstone style
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »
Awesome and thanks for sharing the pictures!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven