Author Topic: Red Beans  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Red Beans
« Reply #-1 on: January 30, 2024, 08:40:35 AM »

Yesterday being Monday of course I cooked red beans. I put a couple of pounds on earlier in the day with smoked sausage, andouille and pickled pork.

]I also made some homemade yeast rolls which didn't come out like I usually make but they were still good.[/div][div align="center"]

These were delicious!!!!!

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Red Beans
« on: January 30, 2024, 09:39:38 AM »
Good lookin' beans! Welcome back!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline old sarge

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 11:08:40 PM »
Nice!  Got my droolin' on!
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 07:20:24 AM »
That looks great!!!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 02:58:28 PM »
What kind of beans did you use? How did you cook them?
I made pinto beans today, in the Instant Pot...  I made up my own recipe after looking at others. No soaking method and little over an hour. I used and immersion blender and immersed about half of them.  Great for refried beans but they look like yours without the sausages. 
Enjoy.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 03:59:42 PM »
Pam - Look for (dried) "Small Red Beans." Other types may work but never quite as well.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline GG-STL

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 05:26:12 PM »
GREAT looking meal
Do you do DoorDash
GG-STL

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 09:03:01 AM »
What kind of beans did you use? How did you cook them?
I made pinto beans today, in the Instant Pot...  I made up my own recipe after looking at others. No soaking method and little over an hour. I used and immersion blender and immersed about half of them.  Great for refried beans but they look like yours without the sausages. 
Enjoy.

I don't know where you live but if you can find Camelia brand red beans those and Blue Runner dried bean are the best in my opinion. I've tried the store brands and what Walmart sells but just don't get the same result.

https://www.camelliabrand.com/    Here's a good recipe......  https://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes/mothers-red-beans/
Their white beans are great too! I cooked some Cannellini beans a couple of weeks ago that were great.

https://bluerunnerfoods.com/product/premium-select-dry-red-beans/

I'm sure you can order these two brands online if they aren't locally available. Let me know if you need help with that.

How I cook my beans I guess is like many others do but I'll tell you anyway.

Whether red or white beans I soak them for about 3 hours and add a lil baking soda to them and dissolve.

While the beans are soaking or sometimes the day before I'll get everything prepped and ready.
Now I also use more in ingredients than most recipes like onions and meats.

I really don't measure but I'll guess at what I use.

2 lbs of red beans
about a quart of white onions chopped kind of small
at least 2 cups of diced celery
about 6-8 nice sized toes of garlic, mince small
Meats sometimes vary but.... I've taken to using pickled pork in my beans all the time lately.
1-1.5 lbs pickled pork
about 2 lbs of good smoked sausage(sometimes I use just andouille or a combination of smoked and andouille) Also sometimes I add diced tasso.
sometimes I'll take a smoked ham hock and bring that to a boil then simmer for a while. Remove the hock and pick through the meat and add that to the beans.
a few bay leaves
Black pepper
A good Cajun or Creole seasoning. I'll do a separate post on what pre-made seasonings I like but anything but Tony Chachere's(That's just too salty). Cajun 2 Step is really good but something I've started using lately is Dan-O's original.  It's good but with the Dan-O's you may need to add some salt and black pepper. When adding salt I wait till toward the end of the cook because some sausages add saltiness while cooking.

So I'll soak the beans for a few hours then start with cooking or really browning the sausage and pork a bit. Remove that from the pot and remove the excess grease from the sausage if there's a lot. if none add a half stick of butter then over a medium low heat add the onions and celery and cook til softened. This will also de glaze the pot from the fond stuck on the bottom of the pot from the meats. The onions and celery will expel a bit of liquid add your bay leaves and garlic. When this is all softened add the beans(before adding the beans to the pot pour out the water they soaked in and rinse 1-2 times. Drain and add them to the pot. Add water to cover the beans by about half to 3/4 of an inch. stir well and bring to a boil. You can add the sausage and pork to the beans now and bring to a light boil again. Lower heat to a simmer - low heat , cover and let cook for about an hour. Keep  stirring every so often to keep the bottom from sticking and burning. You will most likely have to add more water as they cook. You want to keep enough water to cover them. Add your spices, and continue simmering and stirring occasionally. Depending on how old the dried beans are sometimes they cook quickly and sometimes a little longer. No set time for how long they take.
When the beans themselves are cooked soft(easy to cut into but not mushy) I add a stick of butter and stir this into the beans to melt. You may need to add a little water so they aren't pasty  like refried beans. You want them to have a gravy so to say.  You will see them become creamy. adjust the salt and pepper to how you like and they are ready to serve.

Enjoy!!!

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 06:41:58 PM »
Pam - Look for (dried) "Small Red Beans." Other types may work but never quite as well.

Jus' sayin'...

Thanks Turtle, will see if I can find some. I have a lot of Pinto beans.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron