Author Topic: Doing a Picnic  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Sailor1

Doing a Picnic
« Reply #-1 on: October 16, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »
Curing a 9.75 pound Picnic cut that has not been enhanced. After I skinned it and trimmed the fat I ended up with 8.3 pounds of meat and bone. I did not have a container or brining bag big enough to hold the Picnic and 1 1/2 gallons of brine so I used 1.25 gallons of brine and redid my calculations on how much cure, salt, brown sugar to use for 1.25 gallons. Normally one would use 1 gallon of brine for meat up to 7 pounds and 1.5 gallons for 7-11 pounds. Us country folk just use what we got an make R work. I did a 30% pump ratio on this soon to be sweet ham. 1.25 gallon of water is 20 cups. Cure calls for 30.21 grams of cure #1 for 1.25 gallons or 5 tsp using a 30% pump rate. I used 8.75 oz of pickling salt, 13.1 oz of dark brown sugar and 1.25 tsp of ground allspice for the 30% pump rate.

Picnic ready to come out of the bag to skin and get the fat trimmed.

Used a stainless pot to mix the cure, salt, brown sugar and allspice.  Water is still swirling after a brisk stir.

Poured 40 oz of the mix which is 30% of 8.3 pounds of meat which will be injected

This is the biggest container that Mamma had and it held the meat and all but 1/2 cup of the brine.  It was filled to the brim and covered the meat.  Got some brining bags coming for next time.  Forgot to take photo before I closed the lid and did not want to open as I would spill brine all over Mamma's kitchen and I didn't want to get the "eye".

Curing for about 5 days then smoke with Hickory to IT of 165.  Will set smoker to 180 cabinet temp for the cook.  BBL

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Doing a Picnic
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:41:10 PM »
I'll be watching.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
Jim, it's looking good so far, and your calculations are spot on!

I can't wait to see the results.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber