Author Topic: need recommendations on meat grinder/sausage maker  (Read 2116 times)

Offline SlawsaGirl

need recommendations on meat grinder/sausage maker
« Reply #-1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:23:54 PM »
Hey all, Julie from Slawsa here.  I'm going to go wild and get my husband something he's always wanted, some equipment to make sausages.  Since he's got loads of venison from hunting, I think he'd like to start creating sausages and the like (with my help of course).  Can anyone recommend specific grinders/casers to either look into or steer away from?  Appreciate insight for this soon-to-be-sausage-making newbie.

I have plenty of Slawsa…now we just gotta make the sausages!

Julie

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: need recommendations on meat grinder/sausage maker
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
I have the LEM #8 and love it but if he has a lot to grind go for the LEM #10
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:16:27 PM »
Julie - with grinders, budget determines how much you can make in what amount of time. Smaller grinders work  week - but they do not allow you to "hurry" the process. The larger the throat and thus cutter, - the larger the motor to handle the load and torque.

LEM, Weston, Cabela's, Gander Mtn and Bass Pro all carry a variety of sizes and  and horsepower ratings The numbering system of No# 8, No#12, No#22, and No#32 will be the sizes you see most commonly. This numbering refers to the size of the cutters and "throat diameter". Bigger is better - and bigger is more expensive. The better quality ones will have a cast stainless wet end ( the part exposed to the food ) and stainless housing. Look for as much power in terms of wattage or horsepower that you can get for the size throat that you determine will be sufficient for your needs. When you are in this class o machine, there will be a reverse switch, to help clear any clogs. But if you are looking at - as an example - a No#32 grinder with a 1-1/2 hp motor - you can't feed enough meat into it to clog it - given that the meat is able to feed into the throat without being forced.

Most folks find that a grinder that is a true 3/4 to 1 hp. is a good size that can handle most tasks including a lot of deer meat. Look at the top row in this link.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/food-grinders/_/N-1101293/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104364180?WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&rid=20&WT.mc_id=MICROSOFT%7Cfop_Food+Processing_Grinders%7CUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=43700001542010242&gclid=COmT5Njv3MkCFQt7gQodX28Eyg&gclsrc=ds

Now, he will also need a stuffer. And - we have a sponsor here on LTBBQ that makes a water powered stuffer called The Kirby Cannon. It can be set up so that one person can effectively. You can also buy a manually power stuffer - that for most of us - means he will need a helper to crank the handle while he stuffs the sausages. It is quiet - and a really nice way to go.
These manual ranked ones can be up-graded to an electric motor tho:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-commercial-grade-vertical-stuffers/1242292.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsausage%252Bstuffer%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=sausage+stuffer

So - if you have further questions - please ask!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
I think they have steered you right. But I would make sure you get a separate stuffer and grinder (if budget allows). The grinders that say they are both work good as a grinder, but not as a stuffer.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »
To all of this great advice I would only add a foot switch for the grinder, it is a big help when grinding the meat. In addition to sausage you can also make some fantastic blends of hamburger meats for burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc...

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:20:42 AM »
To all of this great advice I would only add a foot switch for the grinder, it is a big help when grinding the meat. In addition to sausage you can also make some fantastic blends of hamburger meats for burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc...
Amen.   Got one before I started grinding worth it's weight in GOLD
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline JPMcSR

• Have A Sparkling Day!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
I would recommend that you go to a restaurant supply place local to you. Years ago I went to one and picked up a 1/3HP Hobart meat grinder with a number 12 cast iron head. It is a painted cast iron case which weighs approx 80 lbs. I paid $150. The restaurants were converting to stainless steel. Make sure that you get a solid poly pusher and a sausage horn. You will also want to get the 1/8" plate for Hamburg. 3/16" plate for sausage, and a 1/4" plate for rough grind, with individual knives for each. I purchase all of my seasonings, casings and butcher supplies, knives., pans liquid smoke, curing agent, etc. from Pioneer in Loveland Colorado. The owners  name is Austin. He was extremely accommodating. When I would order he would take my order, send my order then I would send him a check for the amount on the slip he included in the shipment. I have made hundreds of lbs of venison sausage and salami over the years. I always mixed 15-20% pork or beef fat with the venison, otherwise it came out mealy.  JPMcSR Have A Sparkling Day! Hanover, CT
Have A Sparkling Day!
JPMcSR
3- Dome type charcoal smokers
1- Luhr Jensen Little Indian electric smoker
1- Char Broil Propane smpker
1- Brinkmann 5 burner with smoker gas grill
1- Char Broil "The Big Easy" oilless fryer
3- Oil deep turkey fryers
Been smok'in and deep frying for 40 years