Author Topic: Everything is better with bacon - even bacon  (Read 1210 times)

Offline muralboy

Everything is better with bacon - even bacon
« Reply #-1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:30:45 AM »
Hello once again.  It's been awhile since I've been able to spend time on the forum.  Life's been crazy with work and life - lots of traveling.  I missed you guys (and gals)!

I owe this post to TH who was a great help getting me to the smoker on this one.

First time bacon.  Used TH's Cider Mill Brine recipe for the cure.  4 hours cold smoke with apple wood using the Big Kahuna cold smoker.  Then hot smoke at 165 deg using beech until IT reached 152. 

Sliced up the slabs into thick bacon.  Left the 1-2" sections as is and package into smaller chunks - figured these would be perfect for dishes calling for bacon.

If anything, may cut back on brine time - a little salt forward but not overly so.  I will definitely be doing this again.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Everything is better with bacon - even bacon
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
You had me at BACON!!  I love the Cider Mill Brine.  I have even used it on salmon and steelhead filets before cold smoking them.  Add that to your list.  It is worth it!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »
Beautiful!

The brining time is not as impactful on the saltines of a product as we would think initially. You need the fluids inside the meat to equalize with those on the outside of the meat, via osmosis and exchange.

So less brine time is not going to yield a lower salt product ...unless you do not allow enough time for the brine to completely get drawn into the meat. Not a good idea, of course, because the brining's main purpose is to help insure that we prevent the botulinum bacteria ( cause of botulism - which can be deadly...) from having anywhere to propagate.

I would make sure that you are using the exact amount of cure required - no more..and certainly no less, ( see Tenthunters Brining 101 thread in the Charcuterie Section) and decrease the salt a little next time. But, bearing in mind that you will need to have enough salt to insure there is adequate osmotic pressure for the fluid exchange between the brine and the meat

Another option is that after you period of brining is complete - you can submerge the meat in cold tap water  for a short period, say 1-2 hours - to reverse a little of the osmotic process, and the meat will release some of the the inducted brine in exchange to the fresh water. But, not too long -keep it cold, and proceed with smoking as soon as you remove it, just for food safety.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Everything is better with bacon - even bacon
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:45:39 AM »
Bacon!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »
Don't know about you, but I haven't even considered buying bacon since I started curing and smoking my own. I'm partial to the "maple cured bacon" recipe from 10.5 on www.susanminor.org.  It's a dry cure recipe, not a brine. I read a lot of positive things about the cider mill method, so I may have to give it a shot. Just kinda hard to try something different when you are happy with the results you get from using the "same old way", but hey, who knows, I could be missing out on something even better, right?
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »
Love bacon and yours looks good!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
"Everything is better with bacon - even bacon" nothing I can add to that except thanks for posting it.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 12:35:18 PM »
Bacon!!!!!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline muralboy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 01:15:31 PM »
Beautiful!

The brining time is not as impactful on the saltines of a product as we would think initially. You need the fluids inside the meat to equalize with those on the outside of the meat, via osmosis and exchange.

So less brine time is not going to yield a lower salt product ...unless you do not allow enough time for the brine to completely get drawn into the meat. Not a good idea, of course, because the brining's main purpose is to help insure that we prevent the botulinum bacteria ( cause of botulism - which can be deadly...) from having anywhere to propagate.

I would make sure that you are using the exact amount of cure required - no more..and certainly no less, ( see Tenthunters Brining 101 thread in the Charcuterie Section) and decrease the salt a little next time. But, bearing in mind that you will need to have enough salt to insure there is adequate osmotic pressure for the fluid exchange between the brine and the meat

Another option is that after you period of brining is complete - you can submerge the meat in cold tap water  for a short period, say 1-2 hours - to reverse a little of the osmotic process, and the meat will release some of the the inducted brine in exchange to the fresh water. But, not too long -keep it cold, and proceed with smoking as soon as you remove it, just for food safety.

thanks for the advice/tips
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline muralboy

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
Don't know about you, but I haven't even considered buying bacon since I started curing and smoking my own. I'm partial to the "maple cured bacon" recipe from 10.5 on www.susanminor.org.  It's a dry cure recipe, not a brine. I read a lot of positive things about the cider mill method, so I may have to give it a shot. Just kinda hard to try something different when you are happy with the results you get from using the "same old way", but hey, who knows, I could be missing out on something even better, right?

I am becoming a convert - may only "buy" bacon in emergencies from this point out.  Was thinking of dry cure next time just to see how I like it.  May have to try this one
Keep Calm And Smoke On