Author Topic: The Original Bacon Kit  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Redsparow1

• Backyard Movies
The Original Bacon Kit
« Reply #-1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:04:41 AM »
I have wanted to try my hand at making bacon for some time and the other day I was at a garage sale and they had an unopened "The Original Bacon Kit" for sale.  Since it was unopened, I figured what the hey!  The kit comes with a plastic bag, a plastic thermometer, curing salt, and maple sugar.  You provide 5lbs of pork belly, put all the ingredients in the bag, shake it up and cure for 7 days.  At the end you put the pork belly on the smoker and smoke it for a couple of hours. 

I was really happy with the end product and my daughter and I had a lot of fun doing it together!  I definitely plan on trying it again, but if you are doing it for the first time like I was, this kit is a good way to go.  I have a full review with photos here: http://www.backyardmovies.net/makin-homemade-bacon/

I didn't realize there was a charcuterie subforum on LTB, so I will be searching for a new recipe.  I want something a little sweeter this next go around I think.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: The Original Bacon Kit
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:56:32 AM »
Good that you got your "trial by bacon"... :D

Take a look at the Cider Mill recipe in the Charcuterie section. It is my favorite. And - it is a wet brine as opposed to a dry brine, so it will familiarize you with another method to cure bacon.

Also - read about the differences in "curing salts". This topic alone can cause some confusion, and it is important to use the correct one - and to use it correctly. We want everyone to enjoy the MUCH-better - than - store-bought cured meats that you can make at home. But even more importantly - we want you be safe about it.

Have fun!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
very cool and interesting
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Redsparow1

• Backyard Movies
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »
Good that you got your "trial by bacon"... :D

Take a look at the Cider Mill recipe in the Charcuterie section. It is my favorite. And - it is a wet brine as opposed to a dry brine, so it will familiarize you with another method to cure bacon.

Also - read about the differences in "curing salts". This topic alone can cause some confusion, and it is important to use the correct one - and to use it correctly. We want everyone to enjoy the MUCH-better - than - store-bought cured meats that you can make at home. But even more importantly - we want you be safe about it.

Have fun!

Thank you for the tips.  I try to keep my nitrate consumption low, so I have been meaning to learn more about the curing salts.  I will have to let you know how it goes with the cider mill recipe.