Author Topic: Equipment advice???  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Roget

Equipment advice???
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
I have never made sausage, & I want to try my hand at it.

I need advice on what equipment I need.

I know I need a grinder & a stuffer. I have neither.
What else do I need?
Do any of you have suggestions on what brand, model, etc. would be good for me?
I don't mind spending a little money but I don't want to spend my wife's retirement money on it. :)

I particularly want to try making bologna. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Equipment advice???
« on: June 10, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »
Oh what a can 'o worms you have opened now! :D
But...seriously...you will want to look at how large each batch of sausage can be and steer your equipment sizing with that plus the recommended brands that several here can offer.. Just you and the Mrs.? Or are you thinking about the potential of gifts? (HINT... you should think about gifts...people LOVE home made sausage )
T
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:23:27 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »
It is just V. & me at home, but when I smoke cheese I always share it with our two boys, & I'm sure they will line up for the sausage (& especially the bologna) also.
I have been researching grinders & stuffers on the web but really don't know what is a good buy.

I probably would want to make 5 lbs. or so at a time, at least.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline DWard51

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
Grinder - nothing wrong with the Kitchener #12 from Northern Tool.  They run it on sale for $99 all the time and you can use the $20 off a $100 code to discount even more.  I've been using one for about 5 years now and have no complaints.  It handles everything I've thrown at it.

Stuffer - If you have a Gander Mountain near you, they have all their game processing equipment 30% off the last posted price.  They had some Gander Mountain branded 5 pound stuffers at my local store last week for $49.  They also carry LEM products and the new style LEM 5 pound stuffer.

I was hoping to snag a LEM #12 Big Bite grinder, but they are all gone.  They still had the #8 models though.  My logic was to find a LEM Big Bite #12 (I have a lot of #12 plates and tubes for my Kitchener which is why I want to stay with #12) at $315.00 was sort of a unicorn price.  The big bite has a larger diameter feed throat and the head is all stainless where the Kitchener is not.  I could finish wash the LEM head part in the dishwasher where the Kitchener will turn a flat grey color if you wash that head in a dishwasher (just hand wash the kitchener and no problems).  Yeah, I'm getting lazy in my old age.  But there is something to be said for sausage making equipment that is run through a "sanitizing" cycle on a Maytag dishwasher when it comes to food safety.  Plus I was going to pass on my Kitchener to a co-worker who is just getting started in sausage making if I got a unicorn price on a LEM.

Kitchener is on sale for $99 right now and this code "253361" will get you another $20 off with a final price of $79 if you toss in a pack of screws or something to get the total over $100.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

The Kitchener 5lb stuffer is on sale for $59 right now and if you order them in two separate orders online to pick up at your local store, you can also use this $10 off $50 code to get it for $49, "253360".

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449319_200449319

These are the grinder and stuffer I've been using for a little over 5 years with not a single issue.  Hard to find any lower price on decent equipment to get started in sausage making than this.  And northern will free ship to your local store!!!

Offline Roget

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »
What does the #5, #8, #12, in the description of grinders reference?
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 09:32:39 PM »
I have a LEM #8 grinder and it great.   Didn't cost much and handles any grinding tasks I have tried.  I made a 15 lb batch of sausage in mins and was able to stuff breakfast size tubes without having to get a stuffed out       

Not sure what the # size means but I wouldn't go below an 8.    I bought mine for 279.00 at academy sports

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
Get whats best to fit your sausage making. Lots of good quality stuffers and grinder out there for under $150 ea. Remember a grinder is just that, not a stuffer.

Approx Grinder sizes.

#5  outlet diameter 2 1/8"
#8  outlet diameter 2 1/2"
#10 & 12 outlet diameter 2 3/4"
20 & 22 outlet diameter 3 1/4"
#32 outlet diameter 3 7/8"
Outlet diameter is the plate size.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:02:04 AM by nepas »
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 08:33:50 AM »
As for measuring "good value"....look at the stuffer: All stainless? or are some of the parts cast aluminum or plastic? Traditionally we default to metal gears being better than plastic. I know a few folks that are fine with plastic gears. My thinking on that is - they are probably more careful with the mixture they feed it. And - they are more patient than am I. ;) So - for me...I like metals gears in my stuffer, and prefer stainless parts over aluminum.

The grinder: Amp draw tells you how hard it will work to produce. Weight will tell you a lot about the general construction, and how stable it will be while you are loading it, and learning how to use it. But - Don't take that to mean that you need to spend a fortune either. Just put your hands on a many of them as you can while you are looking for the one to buy. Some great features include a reverse switch, and an assortment of dies and tubes. Some people are happy with the grinder adapter kit for their Kitchen-Aid stand mixer. It is slow as compared to others, but - if space is a premium in your house and you are only making 5 lb. or less at a time...?

DWard has made some good suggestions , and added some links that should help you find some of the better values out there. Keep us posted on your progress/questions!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
I use my KtichenAid for all my grinding..I just cut the meat so that it fits in my feeding tube and go for it..works for me, just using what I already have..have only ground about 30#'s at one time. I don't do enough to get a dedicated grinder..I also use my KitchenAid stuffer.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline nepas

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
If you choose a stuffer with plastic gears just go easy with the smaller tubes. Trust me if you go fast you will chip the plastic gears. LEM has a set of metal gear re placements that they say fit all 5lb stuffers.....NOT
Flint

Offline Roget

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »
If you choose a stuffer with plastic gears just go easy with the smaller tubes. Trust me if you go fast you will chip the plastic gears. LEM has a set of metal gear re placements that they say fit all 5lb stuffers.....NOT

I have found a stuffer with steel gears that is in my price range.

I am having trouble finding a grinder with metal gears that fits my budget.
I think as Tommy advised, I should get at least a #8 (thanks for the info on the number designations)
Many of the lower priced grinders don't tell you what the gears are made of, so they are no doubt plastic.

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
LEM and you will have it for life! Are you looking to make bulk sausage? If so you do not need to buy a stuffer. We grind sausage twice a year and grind deer burger every year.
All you need is a grinder - bags - tape machine and your set.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline Roget

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 03:13:26 PM »
I like the looks of the LEM grinder but the least expensive one with metal gears is $230.00.
I would like to stay under $150.00 if possible.

V wants me to make some breakfast links & I want to make some brats and some ring bologna..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:44:35 PM by Roget »
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline nepas

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »

I have found a stuffer with steel gears that is in my price range.

I am having trouble finding a grinder with metal gears that fits my budget.
I think as Tommy advised, I should get at least a #8 (thanks for the info on the number designations)
Many of the lower priced grinders don't tell you what the gears are made of, so they are no doubt plastic.

The Cabelas lower end heavy duty grinder is pretty decent even with plastic gears. Just dont put bones thru it or solid frozen meat and you will be fine.
They have the heavy duty on sale now for $79.(club members) or reg $124. Thats all you need for 5-10lbs batches, why spend big $$ for a heavy grinder that you dont use weekly.
Flint

Offline Roget

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »
I found an LEM grinder (the Mighty Bite) for $178.00 on Amazon.
LEM had it at $230.00
I think I will go with it.

Now the question is...
Where is the best place to purchase casings, spices, cures, etc.?
I'm sure you sausage makers will know where I can get the best selection at a decent price.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me with this project. I certainly appreciate all of your advice.

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven