Author Topic: Bresaola in NC  (Read 1812 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Bresaola in NC
« Reply #-1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
Back in early May I bought a nice looking eye round.  I wanted to make some Bresaola.  Since I had the charcuterie dry bags from Umai, and I had started my Pancetta experiment, I figured, why not go for it. 

The first picture is the trimmed eye round.  It ended up weighing about 3.5 pounds.

Into the brine for about 10 days.

Thirty days later, the meat was feeling really firm.  If I waited much longer, I might end up with a big piece of jerky.  So, I removed the dry bag and started to slice it on my slicer.  The outside of the eye round is really dark and crusty looking and feeling.

Another view of the eye round and the really, really thinly sliced pieces of Bresaola.  You can almost read a newspaper through it!

The final picture, before I vacuum sealed in two ounce packages, is a wonderful looking and tasting delight.

There is an inherent sweetness due to the juniper berries.  Even with the crust on the outside of the slices, you don’t notice it when you eat it.  That is truly sliced deli-thin! 

After tasting it, I looked up on line to see what the going price was for sliced Bresaola.  $25 per pound was the best price I saw.  I’m not sure I would ever pay that amount, but I will make some more one of these days.  If you get to try some, enjoy the experience.  Then, make your own!!

Art

MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline RickB

Re: Bresaola in NC
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
So you never sliced off the bark?

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
No, I didn't.  It turned out that it was not too thick.  Thinly sliced, it is almost not even noticeable.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »
If you send me that I will tell you what is worth

Out FREAKING standing, wow. On my bucket list. Which bags did you order to do that?

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RickB

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
No, I didn't.  It turned out that it was not too thick.  Thinly sliced, it is almost not even noticeable.

Art

Wow..I want some of that sooooo bad! Nice job!  :D

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »
Very nice job Art, looks Awesome!!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:26 PM »
After seeing Rick (Nepas) do some Bresaola a while back, I asked him about the dry bags from Umai.  I bought a Charcuterie Kit with extra VacMouse strips, all on Rick's recommendation. 

I see they have different items on sale right now.  If my wife doesn't have me committed, I may see about ordering some more dry bags to try more "experiments".

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:19:29 PM »

I see they have different items on sale right now.  If my wife doesn't have me committed, I may see about ordering some more dry bags to try more "experiments".

Art
[/quote]

Totally Understand, I live on the edge ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
" If my wife doesn't have me committed" ...if she does...I got dibs on the Bresaola!!!! ;D

Looks awesome Art!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 09:56:38 PM »
Y'all shore are at a different level of expertise than I is. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
Tee,
I was going to save you some.  I may have to recon sider.  You are awfully quick to throw me under the bus!

Art

P.S.  Trust me, you will be missing something really good.
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »
That looks great Art. I havent gotton up the nerve to try the dry cure thing yet. Besides I havent mastered the regular sausage making yet, still learning!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Chris,
I looked at it this way.  I wanted to become a millionaire, but it wasn't working out too well.  So, I quit trying to make my first million and started working on my second million.  Kind of like the sausage thing.  No, I haven't mastered the sausage making either.  So, I'll just move on to the dry cure versions.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:58 PM »
Chris,
I looked at it this way.  I wanted to become a millionaire, but it wasn't working out too well.  So, I quit trying to make my first million and started working on my second million.  Kind of like the sausage thing.  No, I haven't mastered the sausage making either.  So, I'll just move on to the dry cure versions.

Art
But I'm still having fun! Even got a new recipe I'm trying to conjure up! In Mad Scientist Mode again! That's where poke and shrimp and Reuben in a tube came from!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »
Tee,
I was going to save you some.  I may have to recon sider.  You are awfully quick to throw me under the bus!

Art

P.S.  Trust me, you will be missing something really good.

Careful...I know Maureen - and she can be bribed with a needlepoint store gift certificate! :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401