Author Topic: Bresaola Time  (Read 4155 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Bresaola Time
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
Devo,sure is fine meat!

X2! Looks super!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »
Devo,
I hope mine comes out looking as good as yours.  That is some fantastic looking Bresaola.  I can almost taste it.  A little EVOO drizzled on it.  Oh, my!!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline KyNola

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 10:38:16 AM »
Nicely done Devo.

Offline KyNola

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »
I transferred my cured beef to the Umai bag yesterday.  This is the first time I tried using the Umai bags in my VacMaster chamber vac sealer.  I was somewhat underwhelmed with the result.  The Umai bags are much too long to fit in the chamber and require cutting.  It is understandable in that the Umai bags were originally designed for much larger cuts of meat and the channel and smorkel type vac sealers handled them with no issue.  The next issue was with the sealing of the bag.  With the VP112 you can set the time that the sealer bar is activated.  I was concerned with burning through the bag so I sacrificed a bag for experimental purposes.  I needn't have worried.  I had to run the time on the seal bar to the maximum time (9 seconds) to get a seal that was ok.  Time will tell if the whole "Umai bag in a chamber sealer" worked or not.

Posted this review so those of you with a chamber vac sealer might benefit from my experiment.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »
Bresaola Update

I finally got the eye round into the Umai bag.  It weighed 4 pounds 5 ounces.  The key is to drop the weight in the 30 to 40% range.  I am pushing for the 40% weight loss.  I'll be checking it periodically and let everyone know.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
Bresaola is ready!!

On July 13 I placed the Angus eye round in the Umai bag to make the bresaola.  At this point it weighed 4 pounds 5 ounces.  I wanted to reduce that weight by 30 to 40 per cent.  I pulled it out of the refrigerator and weighed it this morning.  Down to 2 pounds 12 ounces.  This put it in the right range at about 36 per cent loss.  Time to slice.

The first picture shows the eye round before slicing.

The second picture is the pile of sliced heaven.  Really thin, too.

The last picture are the vacuum sealed packages.  Nineteen of them, ready to be distributed.

Now before anyone does the math, there was a certain amount of waste and “spillage”/tasting.  That is why there is only nineteen bags, not twenty-two. 

Imagination time.  When I serve the bresaola I like to put some mixed greens on a small plate with 3 or 4 slices of bresaola and some quality olive oil drizzled over the greens and bresaola.  This also calls for a good red wine like a Pinot Noir.  Good eats!!

Art

Larry,
Where are you on your bresaola?  If I can get to see Rick before he heads your direction, I will give him some for you to sample.  I hope it makes it there.
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline KyNola

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
Art, I wanted to wait until you revealed yours before I reported on mine.  A little over a week ago I hit the 36% weight loss target, remove the bag, slice it thin and...........nothing.  The beef had absolutely none, zip, nada flavor.  I asked my wife to taste it to see if it was just my taster but no, she said the same thing.  I literally threw it away as there was no reason to keep it.  Wasn't the bag's fault.

Yours looks beautiful.  Mine looked very similar to yours.  Mine just had no flavor.  I was really bummed out.

Larry 

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
Art, I wanted to wait until you revealed yours before I reported on mine.  A little over a week ago I hit the 36% weight loss target, remove the bag, slice it thin and...........nothing.  The beef had absolutely none, zip, nada flavor.  I asked my wife to taste it to see if it was just my taster but no, she said the same thing.  I literally threw it away as there was no reason to keep it.  Wasn't the bag's fault.

Yours looks beautiful.  Mine looked very similar to yours.  Mine just had no flavor.  I was really bummed out.

Larry

Really sorry to hear that.  You used the recipe from Umai, didn't you?  The only thing I did slightly different this time was to let is in the cure a day or two longer.  If I can get some to Rick (I hope it makes it there.  You know Rick...) give mine a try and see what you think.  Let me know.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 02:54:54 AM »
Really nice Art.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
Art

Really nice.

WTG

Like Larry i had to toss the goose prosciutto, its was major salty. Sometimes these things happen

Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.