Author Topic: First time TBE wings  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Mullo

First time TBE wings
« Reply #-1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
I've done plenty of amazing turkeys, chickens and roasts in my Big Easy but today decided to rig up some skewers (homeade from clothers hangers as the Charbroil ones are difficult to find in Canada for a reasonable price) of chicken wings.

I seasoned half with a cajun mix of seasoning (paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, chili powder, salt) and the other half did bare and added my signature sauce (ketchup, soya sauce, sriracha, honey, pepper) that my wife loves so much.

I cooked them for 50 min, but would do 60 min next time as some larger drummettes were borderline fully cooked.

They came out of the basket pretty easy with my rigged hangers and onto the plate for everyone to enjoy. My son and wife liked both flavors a lot. I was partial to the dry rub but the sauce was good too.

Can't wait for the next batch.....and maybe some ribs next time.  :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

Re: First time TBE wings
« on: September 20, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »
Good cook.....but don't use coat hangers. Usually zinc or something similar. Just get them at Home hardware bbq section.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
They do look great!

But - I too have to say, please don't use clothes hangars. They are the lowest quality of metals and we have no idea what is in them, as they were never designed to be used for cooking. There are shops that will cut and bend some stainless for you of similar diameter and length, and they are usually pretty reasonable.

We just want to see everyone healthy - and enjoying themselves!

It really is a good looking cook you did there. Congrats!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
NICE job,wtg! Plate me please! :P :P
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Mullo

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will try to find some at Home Hardware. I had no idea they had them but see now online that instore they sell the baskets for $9.99. I will pick some up tomorrow.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:47:38 AM »
Great job.  You can find some long skewers if you look long enough.  You many want to order wing racks from CharBroil.

I marinade my wings first and sometimes inject them.

Don't forget baking potatoes.

You can cook anything in TBE that you can in your oven.  The IR will not penetrate metal such as a pan but it will penetrate glass.  So anything yu want to cook in a glass dish will cook just like it was in nothing as far as IR is concerned.  Tommy has even made bread in his.

If you want smoke flavor you can add chips or pellets around the bottom of the cooking chamber and you'll get some good smoke.

TBE and its big brother the SRG are fantastic cookers.  If you have any questions please ask and we'll be glad to help you to be the best cook in your neighborhood. 

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:15:25 AM »
Great looking wings, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:01:18 AM »
Nice looking wings.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »
Very nice looking wings!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
Those are some great looking wings!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline txpops

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
Nice looking wings. And a great idea. I have some shish kabob skewers that would work great for this in my SRG.

Mike
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »
Nice looking wings. I use the shelves in my SRG (CharBroil.) If you can't find them locally or a good price, Tommy - TMB - posted a mod a long time ago for making your own out of cheap / easily available materials - very easy and looked like it worked well. When I use the shelves I can get at least 30 wings in the basket. Maybe Tommy will wander by and give us a link to that mod.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Mullo

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »
Thank you. I picked up a Charbroil basket for TBE today at home hardware for $9.99. I will keep my eye out for more info from other forum members on mods and ideas.